Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

John Ratzenberger turns up in lots of films around that time, A Bridge Too Far is another example, but there are lots. 

Does he ever do accents? He sounds the same in Cheers and any Pixar cameo he does, so would be interesting to see IF he was dubbed in Empire Strikes Back, or he has more then one type of accent.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MPDTT said:

.....that my wife and I are expecting our first child. We are over the moon! :)

I know we have butted heads over politics and I have been a bit over zealous but huge congratulations. Being a dad is an amazing experience. Happy for you man. 

Just now, Joe Blog said:

I know we have butted heads over politics and I have been a bit over zealous but huge congratulations. Being a dad is an amazing experience. Happy for you man. 

Thank you sir!

• Paid Members

Some more TIL Geography...

* The Norwegian town of Kirkenes, close to the borders with Russia & Finland, lies further east than Istanbul.

* The westernmost point of Japan is on the island of Yonaguni in Okinawa Prefecture - it lies further west than any part of either North or South Korea and is only 107km or 66.5 miles from Taiwan.

* The westernmost point of North America (and by extension, the USA as made up of its 50 states, excluding territories) is on Attu Island in Alaska, which is part of the Near Islands in the Bering Strait chain of islands. It lies further west than the whole of the North Island of New Zealand (so including the cities of Auckland & Wellington) as well as Fiji & both Samoa's. Attu Island was once the home of a small naval station that closed in 2010 and has since been uninhabited.