Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

On 6/18/2020 at 11:39 AM, Briefcase said:

Out of interest, what's the forum? Always enjoy these kind of topics. 

Briefcase

As I only joined to ask one question I'm not sure.

Will have a look at a password book I have stashed somewhere to check.

44 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Technically, it's not played by them as 'My Name Is' uses an interpolation of the song rather than directly sampling the track. Dr Dre always re-records a sample as he has more control over manipulating it and then only has to pay the publishing rights to use it.

Although yes Dre does that a lot, I am pretty sure that in the case of My Name Is, he uses a direct sample as Labi Siffre refused to clear it until lyrics were changed.

Plus Siffre got all the publishing rights to it, so poor old Chas N Dave, as lowly session musicians, got nowt. Don't worry, they'll always have Ossies Dream.

@Chris B Such a great little fact isn't it? That songs been sampled a fair few times as well.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, patiirc said:

TIL 'Knives' from Scott Pilgrim is 'Fortune Cookie' from Glow. I had not even made the connection and have been clearly not paying any attention whatsoever *facepalm*

Ellen Wong! She’s great, really underrated comedic actress.

• Paid Members
On 6/18/2020 at 11:27 AM, Glenryck Pilchards said:

Gary Numan is 13 days older than Gary Oldman

This is one of my favourite facts. I think I picked it up from Shooting Stars or something.

Also related: “Big Mo” (Laila Morse) from EastEnders is the sister of Gary Oldman.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

This is one of my favourite facts. I think I picked it up from Shooting Stars or something.

Also related: “Big Mo” (Laila Morse) from EastEnders is the sister of Gary Oldman.

Laila Morse is her stage name (she’s Maureen Oldman) and was suggested by Isabella Rossilini.

1 minute ago, johnnyboy said:

"I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred was never a number one single in the UK.  It was at number two for multiple weeks behind "Everything I Do" by Bryan Adams.

There's quite a few that surprisingly only reached number two. Robson & Jerome kept both 'Wonderwall' and 'Common People' off the top spot.

27 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

"I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred was never a number one single in the UK.  It was at number two for multiple weeks behind "Everything I Do" by Bryan Adams.

Because she is wonderful and benevolent, Queen Tay lists them as writers for “Look What You Made Me Do”. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

Many people are surprised that Angles by Robbie Williams only reached number 4. Even more odd, as it reeks of a number 2. A big, fat, steaming number 2.

I think you should start a thread listing 500 songs better than Angels.