Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Weezenal said:

I'm too ashamed to say where I heard it...

Steve Wright's Sunday Love Songs. We're cool.

Oh fuck you're right aren't you. I genuinely hate that soporific, mawkish show but Radio 2 is always on somewhere in the house. Fucking hell I hate myself. 

• Paid Members

If you're standing in downtown St. John's, the capital city of Newfoundland & Labrador in Canada (specifically in this example, the Anglican Cathedral), you are standing closer to Dublin, London, Paris, Berlin, Lisbon, Zurich, Prague, Madrid, Casablanca, Algiers and even Vienna & Ljubljana than you are to Vancouver, British Columbia, on the other side of the country, with Rome, Bratislava, Zagreb and Warsaw all only being less than 100km more further away. Meanwhile, still at the same spot, you are closer to London than you are to either Calgary or Edmonton in Alberta, or Saskatoon in Saskatchewan, and you'd still be closer to Galway than to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

It's a big country, eh.

It really, really is.  I was reading an article on Wikipedia about Port Nelson the other day, which is here - 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Port+Nelson,+MB,+Canada/@57.0551789,-92.6142305,3576m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x4b0d03d337cc6ad9:0x9968b72aa2438fa5!2sCanada!3b1!8m2!3d56.130366!4d-106.346771!3m4!1s0x527b85415fad3743:0x2a33d23005b3f179!8m2!3d57.055296!4d-92.5968933?hl=en

And it's really far north, like so far that nobody lives within 100 miles of it any more.  It's on the Hudson Bay, which is so far north that basically nobody lives there.

And then you zoom out, and see how much more of Canada there is NORTH of there.

22 hours ago, PJ Power said:

If you're standing in downtown St. John's, the capital city of Newfoundland & Labrador in Canada (specifically in this example, the Anglican Cathedral), you are standing closer to Dublin, London, Paris, Berlin, Lisbon, Zurich, Prague, Madrid, Casablanca, Algiers and even Vienna & Ljubljana than you are to Vancouver, British Columbia, on the other side of the country, with Rome, Bratislava, Zagreb and Warsaw all only being less than 100km more further away. Meanwhile, still at the same spot, you are closer to London than you are to either Calgary or Edmonton in Alberta, or Saskatoon in Saskatchewan, and you'd still be closer to Galway than to Winnipeg, Manitoba.

It's a big country, eh.

There is a World War Two story regarding this distance.

A parent had sent their kid to Newfoundland as it was safer. The plan was for the kid to stay with distant family before making his way to Vancouver to be with an uncle.

The uncle received news of this via a telegram which outlined the plan and asking him to travel to Newfoundland to pick the kid up.

His responded by telegramming "you do it; you are closer than I am".

Always wondered if this is true

58 minutes ago, Hugh Thesz said:

There is a World War Two story regarding this distance.

A parent had sent their kid to Newfoundland as it was safer. The plan was for the kid to stay with distant family before making his way to Vancouver to be with an uncle.

The uncle received news of this via a telegram which outlined the plan and asking him to travel to Newfoundland to pick the kid up.

His responded by telegramming "you do it; you are closer than I am".

Always wondered if this is true

Seems an unlikely story, since Newfoundland didn't become a part of Canada until a few years after World War 2 ended.

35 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

Seems an unlikely story, since Newfoundland didn't become a part of Canada until a few years after World War 2 ended.

But it still existed so it’s still possible. 
EDIT. Actually, it being a former British colony up until the 30s makes it even more plausible that a Brit would have relatives there. 

Edited by Keith Houchen

30 minutes ago, Fog Dude said:

To be honest it may be me who is making a c#nt of it here.

It may not have been Newfoundland; been thirty odd years since I have heard the story.

Sorry

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

But it still existed so it’s still possible. 
EDIT. Actually, it being a former British colony up until the 30s makes it even more plausible that a Brit would have relatives there. 

It wasn't so much the 'Brit having relatives there' part that I'd cast doubt on, but the 'assumption of an easy passage to and from Vancouver' bit. 

• 2 weeks later...