Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Betamax won the war on a professional level and was used a lot in recording broadcast footage, becoming Betacam which was an industry standard for archiving well into the 90s. 

The true madness lies in D-VHS, a HD version of VHS With amazing quality that never really made it over here.

look at the quality at this at 10min in

We were always shafted by the video quality potential of VHS. They were always made lower quality than was actually possible. 

I can’t find the video now but I saw one where a guy gets an original unused, still in the cellophane, VHS copy of Back To The Future, a Blu Ray copy, and a brand new blank VHS tape. He then records the blu ray onto the blank tape and compares that to the original VHS copy. The recorded blu ray is miles ahead in terms of video quality. So they had the means to make VHS better quality than it was, just chose not to. 

But surely it would be better quality if you’re recording something from a Digital/High Definition source, wouldn’t it? The film would’ve likely been remastered ahead of its DVD release, and that source then upscaled for BluRay, so surely that would look better than a 30+ year old VHS copy that hasn’t been through the remastering process

Edited by WyattSheepMask

25 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

Why embarrassed? A good proportion of our lot won't even know what our main island is called. 

Dunno really. I suppose I just thought that I should've known what the main island of somewhere like Japan was called. 

I didn't even realise they all had different names, just that they were all "Japan".

Maybe embarrassed is the wrong word. Shocked would probably be more appropriate.

On 7/11/2020 at 2:27 PM, PJ Power said:

Today I learned that Fray Bentos is a port city in Uruguay. Apparently it's Spanish for "Friar Benedict".

Welcome to the club kid, pick up your complimentary generic bird talon and rat kidney pie and take a seat. Butch will be along with a mug of gravy in a minute.

• Paid Members

A fairly interesting relationship I was in, back in the mid-noughties was based around our signs being constantly aligned or something, because she was mad into astrology and was also a bit cracked in the head. But she was the image of Gabrielle Union so I was grand with all the scrying, intense eye gazing and random sea shells with writing on them all about the place.

I'd say she's bulling now.

• Paid Members

Nah, we're still the same (like it matters). That Ophiuchus thing pops up every so often - I remember seeing something in the early 90s of Russell Grant talking to Des O'Connor about it. It all just got ignored and everyone moved on.

TIL that Western astrology uses fixed patterns and "artificial" constellations based on the Tropical Zodiac as laid down by the ancient astrologer and astronomer Ptolemy, hence why our signs don't change:

https://astrostyle.com/zodiac-sign-change-nasa-wrong/