Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Today I lea noticed how neck-and-neck the slog to half a million is between Off Topic and On Topic.

ukff.png

WHO WILL WIN?

WILL THERE BE CAKE?

Will MMA make a surprise dart to the finish line? 

I know the music scene's full of similar cases, and this particular one might be of interest to no one else, but I was still surprised to learn today that Josh Groban's ballad "To Where You Are" was co-written by Richard Marx, of "Hazard" fame amongst others.

Today I learned that is possible to win a pool tournament by just pissing about.

I play Miniclip Pool online and enjoy playing their Eight person one frame knockout tournament where each player has three minutes to complete all their shots.

Today, I finally pulled something off. I broke off in frame one, leaving my opponent hopelessly snookered and did so repeatedly until he ran out of time.

Frame two saw me brake and I decided to take a more cautious approach, leaving my opponent hopelessly snookered. Once again I repeated this laying snooker after snooker after snooker. Although initially posting smiley faces I think my approach possible annoyed my opponent as she began to send increasingly threatening emojis until she too ran out of time.

In the final my opponent, who had won two frames so wan in the final, before I finished my first, broke but missed his second shot. I think me taking maximun time on each shot may have frustrated him as after three snookers he quit.

My statistics were as follows:

Matches = Three

Pots Attempted = Zero

Balls Potted = Zero

Snookers Layed = Twenty

Trophies Won = One

Folks pissed off = Three

There are folk serving life in Peterhead prison special unit for less than that.

Edited by Hugh Thesz
It was a nine ball tourny

Today I learned that the salary required to be considered in the "top 1%" is much lower than I'd have thought.

"There are about 540,000 people in the top 1 per cent income bracket across the UK and that requires £120,000 a year"

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-7357395/Who-1-Britain-one-them.html

Like most stats, that headline's only part of the story. That 120k is the threshold to get into the top 1%. I'd imagine it's a pretty steep curve after that. It'd be interesting to see what percentage of UK total earnings the top 1% actually account for, and what percentage of UK GDP they're responsible for.

49 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Like most stats, that headline's only part of the story. That 120k is the threshold to get into the top 1%. I'd imagine it's a pretty steep curve after that. It'd be interesting to see what percentage of UK total earnings the top 1% actually account for, and what percentage of UK GDP they're responsible for.

You are right. In the same article, it states:

"To be halfway up the 1 per cent pecking order and make the 99.5th percentile required an income of £236,625."

So it does indeed become very steep thereafter.

A quick check online pulled up the percentiles for 2018, where the top 1% was £116k. By those numbers, and with my pay this month reaching 40k, that puts me in the top 20%. 20% below me is £25k, 20% above is £116k. That's not much a curve as an uppercut.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I watched an old documentary on Tarzan films and this cracked me up;

The classic Tarzan actor Johnny Weissmuller played Tarzan in 12 different films throughout the 30s and 40s. The same year he stopped playing Tarzan he immediately started playing another "white guy in the jungle" adventure character called Jungle Jim. He was Jungle Jim for another 13(!) films. The studio then lost the rights to Jungle Jim so he made a final 3 films just playing Johnny Weissmuller in the jungle.