Today I learned...

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Anyone else getting Burn After Reading vibes from imagining him inventing this thing?

Apparently he got the Idea when talking to Debbie Harry while they were in a hot tub together. 

Infer from that what you will.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TIL that people stuck in their ways, can still surprise you. My dad is a good bloke, and comfortable with his life. A big old North Yorkshire man and creature of comfort, who doesn’t wish harm on

.....that my wife and I are expecting our first child. We are over the moon!

Who upset the honkey? 

Posted Images

• Paid Members

TIL something great which led to learning about a couple of smaller, cool things.

In 1958, the Lumbee Indian community of North Carolina clashed with, and drove away, the KKK. 

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-day-the-native-americans-drove-the-kkk-out-of-town?utm_source=fbsynd&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1up3JGdEYEFP-9X-lf1_FgHW207guM6nVc_wGP58fPdnv65OuSNhsAs3A

It's not often you get to hear about the good guys winning, so this was nice to read. Also interesting to find out that the authorities in the South weren't all as supine in their resistance to racism as we often heard reported. 

The other cool things were that there were people mentioned in the article with familiar surnames: Chavis and Locklear. So I checked out Chris "Tatanka" Chavis' Wiki profile, and, sure enough, he's a Lumbee Indian. I then checked out the list of notable Lumbee Indians, and it seems Heather Locklear has Lumbee heritage too! It seems the surnames Chavis and Locklear are relatively common within the community, which, being small, would be understandable, I guess.

Oh, and the article ends with a quote that sums up exactly my position on why what people moan about as "cancel culture" when it comes to Nazis and white supremacists is justified:

The Lumbees are still fighting today, protecting their land and tribe from the construction of an oil and gas pipeline and improper usage of their symbols. But according to historian Malinda Maynor Lowery, the discussion of “right and wrong in today’s society” has shifted.

“People are anxious to defend racist, hostile actions in the interest of hearing from ‘both sides,’” Lowery said. “In 1958, people understood that the Klan didn’t have a side worth defending.”

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

So I checked out Chris "Tatanka" Chavis' Wiki profile, and, sure enough, he's a Lumbee Indian

Didn’t Heenan make jokes about him being a Lumpy Indian or have I imagined that? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Today I lea noticed how neck-and-neck the slog to half a million is between Off Topic and On Topic.

ukff.png

WHO WILL WIN?

WILL THERE BE CAKE?

Will MMA make a surprise dart to the finish line? 

I know the music scene's full of similar cases, and this particular one might be of interest to no one else, but I was still surprised to learn today that Josh Groban's ballad "To Where You Are" was co-written by Richard Marx, of "Hazard" fame amongst others.

Today I learned that is possible to win a pool tournament by just pissing about.

I play Miniclip Pool online and enjoy playing their Eight person one frame knockout tournament where each player has three minutes to complete all their shots.

Today, I finally pulled something off. I broke off in frame one, leaving my opponent hopelessly snookered and did so repeatedly until he ran out of time.

Frame two saw me brake and I decided to take a more cautious approach, leaving my opponent hopelessly snookered. Once again I repeated this laying snooker after snooker after snooker. Although initially posting smiley faces I think my approach possible annoyed my opponent as she began to send increasingly threatening emojis until she too ran out of time.

In the final my opponent, who had won two frames so wan in the final, before I finished my first, broke but missed his second shot. I think me taking maximun time on each shot may have frustrated him as after three snookers he quit.

My statistics were as follows:

Matches = Three

Pots Attempted = Zero

Balls Potted = Zero

Snookers Layed = Twenty

Trophies Won = One

Folks pissed off = Three

There are folk serving life in Peterhead prison special unit for less than that.

Edited by Hugh Thesz
It was a nine ball tourny

Today I learned that the salary required to be considered in the "top 1%" is much lower than I'd have thought.

"There are about 540,000 people in the top 1 per cent income bracket across the UK and that requires £120,000 a year"

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-7357395/Who-1-Britain-one-them.html

2 minutes ago, Linus said:

That's EIGHT years on minimum wage. Fuck that 1%.

I appreciate its a big number.....I just thought the top 1% would earn something like £500k+

Like most stats, that headline's only part of the story. That 120k is the threshold to get into the top 1%. I'd imagine it's a pretty steep curve after that. It'd be interesting to see what percentage of UK total earnings the top 1% actually account for, and what percentage of UK GDP they're responsible for.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

Like most stats, that headline's only part of the story. That 120k is the threshold to get into the top 1%. I'd imagine it's a pretty steep curve after that.

Reminds me very much of the "I'M NOT EVEN IN THE TOP 50%!" rant.  We're not great with numbers in this country are we?