Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

We'd be better off if people were worried more about being conscientious and polite enough to say the right thing than imagining that they were being restricted from saying the wrong thing. 

I mean, you're right, but it's gone to such an extreme now. Like everything amplified by social media, I suppose. I wasn't saying they were being restricted. But punishing people for using a term that was fine a year or two ago but is now usurped by another term? I'm sorry, but that seems counterproductive, to me.

Edited by AshC

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, AshC said:

I mean, you're right, but it's gone to such an extreme now. Like everything amplified by social media, I suppose. I wasn't saying they were being restricted. But punishing people for using a term that was fine a year or two ago but is now usurped by another term? I'm sorry, but that seems counterproductive, to me.

Who has been punished?

11 minutes ago, AshC said:

Every fucker whoever says the wrong thing because they're not on top of the myriad of new terms and offshoots.

Please give examples? 

Could always ask the person you are addressing rather than presuming... 

Cheers guys. No wonder the left never win an election here. Any views outside of the echo chamber and you're a dunce or a racist monster or both. It's an exhausting subject and I apologised for getting involved. That should be that. But I'm sure it won't be.

3 minutes ago, AshC said:

But put the boot in if it makes you feel good, by all means

This kerfuffle is a decent example of what you say, though. Person A states something as fact, person B (and CDEFG) ask for an example of it, just one example, person A doesn’t or can’t give one and acts hard done by. 

4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

TIL that the last people executed in Britain, 'legally', was in 1964.

I think I already knew this (Today I Relearned?), but this has sort of shocked me a bit. That's not that long ago is it?

Further to this, while that was the last execution for Murder, the death penalty wasn’t officially abolished until 1969. However, the death penalty remained in law (although wasn’t used, obviously) for crimes such as Treason until 1998 when it was withdrawn under the Crime & Disorder Act.

Edited by WyattSheepMask