Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, MrK said:

For my own peace of mind, is it racist to use the term B. A. M. E.? Because I’ve always pronounced it in my head as letters as opposed to Bame. 

I think part of it is that it's an official, box-ticking term either way. As catch-all's go in casual conversation, it can be far too close to 'ethnics' or 'minorities', both of which can be really dismissive. I think there might also be an element of it being a term for lots of groups of people, and also one that's not in any way self-chosen (unlike 'people of colour', which rubs some people up the wrong way, but I think in a different way).

As @Chest Rockwellsays, it's all in how you use it. In, like, council or HR speak, it's probably fine. In more casual talk, it can be fine, but there will almost certainly be better terms to use in context. In dismissive talk, it's fucking horrible.

• Paid Members

It was used on Newsnight last night in the context of postgrad admissions, which fits with most uses of it that I’ve seen, normally some kind of data comparison or the like.

@MrKYou say each letter, B.A.M.E, if I was ever to hear it pronounced Bame, I’d assume ignorance or deliberate flippancy. 

• Paid Members

BAME - which can be and often is pronounced as a word - is used in the same way as LGBTQ+. You'd never describe an individual as LGTBQ+ but you'd refer to the "community" or an officer/spokesman of such in a political party. Individuals are black, or Asian, unless they tell you otherwise, in which case you use what they ask you to use.

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Linus said:

BAME - which can be and often is pronounced as a word - is used in the same way as LGBTQ+. You'd never describe an individual as LGTBQ+ but you'd refer to the "community" or an officer/spokesman of such in a political party. Individuals are black, or Asian, unless they tell you otherwise, in which case you use what they ask you to use.

Really? Can't say I've ever heard it said like that and would be pretty uncomfortable using it myself.  While I can't think of many reasons to use B.A.M.E outside of quantitive discussion it at least distinguishes that there are differences within that group, as does LGBTQ+, using BAME just seems lazy and potentially insensitive, might as well just say "THEM".

Edited by stumobir

Increasingly intersectionality is used instead of BAME by those in said community 

As with all things, people hate being defined and labelled by others for other's consumption and would much prefer to define themselves, which makes better sense. 

TIL that the last people executed in Britain, 'legally', was in 1964.

I think I already knew this (Today I Relearned?), but this has sort of shocked me a bit. That's not that long ago is it?

Also, TIL Pusha T is ridiculously rich as Arbys pays him for their slogan "We Have The Meats". And he came up with the McDonald's "I'm Loving It" jingle. Nice work.

2 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

TIL that the last people executed in Britain, 'legally', was in 1964.

There’s that one as well about how the last legal  execution in France by guillotine happened after Star Wars A New Hope came out. (It wasn’t Lucas)