Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

13 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I never knew Barclays made the first atm and I spent a while working for them. You'd think that would be one of those fun facts that would come up...

I worked at Barclays for six months in 2010 and it was mentioned in the training materials of the induction. Also a photo of Reg Varney was plastered in the stairwell of the branch I worked at. 

27 minutes ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

I worked at Barclays for six months in 2010 and it was mentioned in the training materials of the induction. Also a photo of Reg Varney was plastered in the stairwell of the branch I worked at. 

Yeah I worked for them too and it was mentioned. Although in the induction they were going over historic milestones and I had to stifle a laugh when they mentioned pulling out of Apartheid South Africa like it was a benevolent act. 

• Paid Members
On 1/15/2021 at 4:10 PM, tiger_rick said:

The closing theme on New Tricks is a cover of a real song. Only noticed because it was playing on the PA system in the local garage at lunchtime!

End of The Line is on the closing credits of the final One Foot In the Grave too. 

It plays over the montage of hijinks the characters have talked about but you've not seen through the episode. 

• Paid Members

It's great how they formed. If I recall correctly they'd all worked with Jeff Lynn in some capacity, so were all friends and I think were round his house while he was working on either Roy Orbison's last album or something for George Harrison when they started jamming and decided to do an album. They all do backing vocals on You Got It. 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Yeah, I used to lunch by the Mersey when I worked in the town they're from. Certainly don't need a ferry to cross it there. 

The state of it going through Stockport town centre, the ferry would run aground on shopping trolleys and old prams.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's great how they formed. If I recall correctly they'd all worked with Jeff Lynn in some capacity, so were all friends and I think were round his house while he was working on either Roy Orbison's last album or something for George Harrison when they started jamming and decided to do an album. They all do backing vocals on You Got It. 

Jeff Lynne always get on my tits from him always wearing those fucking sunglasses and every song he is involved with just sounding like ELO.

• Paid Members

He certainly does have an unmistakable sound. He did an album called Long Wave, which is him covering old jazz standards and Cole the like in the usual fashion. 

• 3 weeks later...