Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

...that the "Renegade Edition" of Highlander II: The Quickening was actually a complete re-working of the premise to mitigate the shit sci-fi plot-hole. I never bothered with it because I thought it was just one of those director's cuts and figured it probably couldn't do much to improve it, but having been given a précis of the synopsis by a mate, I'm now intrigued and would like to see it.

Said mate did inform me that it's still not brilliant, but that it's still miles better, and at least a lot more fun, which the original patently was not.

It's a marked improvement on the original (which was such a stupid left turn for what seemed like a very simple concept and one that damaged the Highlander property massively), but it's still a bit bonkers/ropey. 

• Paid Members

TIL “Scottine” is a girls name in, at least, North America. For people that wanted a boy called Scott but had a girl, I guess. Terrible name.

• Paid Members

...something that the more pop-culture-savvy on here will probably know already, that Tracy Grandstaff, who voices Daria, was in the pilot (or "Season 0") of The Real World, and was a production assistant on a couple of later episodes.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, gmoney said:

Bernadette is worse than both really, but it's a famous (and great) song so is normalised to some extent. 

I’d really never made the connection before to Bernard. Good job really, I only ever knew one Bernadette and she was one of the most beautiful women I ever met. Having “Bernard” stuck in my head at the time would have been very inconvenient.

Still not sure it’s as bad as when women are called Stevie, Brett or Peta to rhyme with Peter. Still waiting to encounter little girls called Keith, Derek or Clive.

2 minutes ago, air_raid said:

I’d really never made the connection before to Bernard. Good job really, I only ever knew one Bernadette and she was one of the most beautiful women I ever met. Having “Bernard” stuck in my head at the time would have been very inconvenient.

Bernard is a perfectly acceptable name for a woman though.

330?cb=20110813132225

• Paid Members

They love giving girls boys' names, the Yanks, and surnames too. Seen at least two girls called Rory, several called Spencer, Clarke or Taylor, and there's a whole slew with a "Mc/Mac" (which is just annoying).

3 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Still not sure it’s as bad as when women are called Stevie, Brett or Peta to rhyme with Peter.

What's wrong with this? 

Edit: @Carbomb We call our daughter Rory, but thats short for Aurora. Also is sometimes used as short for Lorelai as in Gilmore Girls.

Edited by SuperBacon