Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

This is what I've definitely heard about those two names, and also for Stacy as well (Stacy Keach being the first one that comes to mind).

Leslie Nielsen being deadly serious in Airplane probably didn't help.

• Paid Members

Today I learned that the foundations of Blackpool Tower are made from cotton bales.

This allows the tower to move with the wind and absorb it, rather than place stress on the structure by trying to withstand it.

I did already know that it's built in such a way that should it collapse, it will fall toward the sea and not on the town.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Today I learned that the foundations of Blackpool Tower are made from cotton bales.

130 years of being crushed and uncrushed by however many hundred tons of iron, how come they haven't disintegrated by now?

Why haven't they rotted?

• Paid Members

The abbreviation for “lbs” for pounds comes from the Latin word libra, which means balance, to the surprise of zero Astrology fans. The phrase “libra pondo” meaning “pound weight” which is where we take the English word pound from. 30 years blindly using this without knowing or even asking, until today.

Why are you arguing with yourself? Any case it’s not true, it was a quip made by one of the project owners about how it was financially supported by the booming cotton trade at the time. Over time it’s become a literal myth.