Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

It could be worse with women's names. My grandmother was from a large Irish family, and there were two cousins around the same age both called 'Mary' (an unusual Irish name, I think we can all agree). 

To separate them out from each other, and apparently this was common practice, they had their father's names suffixed onto theirs. So you had the likes of Mary-John and Mary-Patrick.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Edit: @Carbomb We call our daughter Rory, but thats short for Aurora. Also is sometimes used as short for Lorelai as in Gilmore Girls.

Yeh, saw Gilmore Girls, but it was an understandable shortening, as is yours - it's not their actual name. Not that I'm any kind of authority, it's just something that irks me as a linguist when people give their kids names without thinking about the etymology. Names like Rory/Ruairidh and anything with "Mc/Mac" are actual male names, so to me it just seems pretentious. I've no issue with unusual names, just prefer those with a bit of thought put in.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

They love giving girls boys' names, the Yanks, and surnames too. Seen at least two girls called Rory, several called Spencer, Clarke or Taylor, and there's a whole slew with a "Mc/Mac" (which is just annoying).

I used to live opposite a girl originally from Florida, called “McKenna”.

Men are well fragile when it comes to family names, aren’t they? So many juniors and “The third” and all that bollocks. Some have a middle name that has been passed down from generation to generation but you never get that with women. Or at least hardly ever. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Men are well fragile when it comes to family names, aren’t they? So many juniors and “The third” and all that bollocks. Some have a middle name that has been passed down from generation to generation but you never get that with women. Or at least hardly ever. 

Can't speak as to anyone else - for me, it's purely a linguistic thing. As mentioned, the American tendency to give their kids surnames for first names, both male and female, just seems a bit wanky to me.

That "junior" and "third" stuff is also wanky - show some imagination, dammit! Just seems like the dad wants their kid to be a continuation of them, rather than a person in their own right.

I'd also like the monarchy abolished, but, failing that, they could at least be a bit original and not give their kid the same fucking name as six or seven previous monarchs.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

The only name tradition in my family is on my mum's side. My mum is an only child, but her mum was one of eight children, their parents were poor farm workers, with no electric.

8 children, none of them used their birth names as the names they were called every day, bunch of shady fuckers if you ask me. 

Try being a postman with traveller sites on his routes where nobody has a number on their homes, they all have the same surname but aren’t related and Patrick, Mary and Theresa make up the pool of first names. Then try explaining to all the Patrick’s, Mary’s, and Theresa’s that it’s not your fault they have a speeding fine and that if they don’t have a letterbox you can’t post their mail.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

That "junior" and "third" stuff is also wanky - show some imagination, dammit! Just seems like the dad wants their kid to be a continuation of them, rather than a person in their own right.

Ring the Nigella klaxon again please.

• Paid Members

The Greenlandic town of Nanortalik lies further south than Lerwick in the Shetland Isles.

Also, Middle Island, Ontario lies further south than Crescent City, California.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Got married and took my wife's surname. Her dad has 4 daughters and no sons, so figured he'd like at least 1 kid with his name. 

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

My middle name is my Dad's first name, my older sister's middle name is my Mum's first name, and my younger sister's middle name is my Dad's grandmother's name (I think. Definitely some relative on his side. He trolled me for years as a child by saying that her middle name was Elizabeth after the Queen).

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

By sheer coincidence, TIL that DDP and Kimberly had a daughter… called Kimberly Page.