Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Shy Dad said:

That as of yesterday afternoon I officially have QTS and after everything managed to qualify as a teacher. 

Hooray! Nice one Shy Dad, that's wonderful news and no small achievement either. You should be incredibly proud of yourself mate. Made up for you!

5 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Cheers folks, got the Doctors tomorrow for a health check up so this is the kinda news that means I can relax a little and enjoy myself today. 

Gonna meet my mates in a bit for a bit of the bubbly. 

Enjoy yourself, be safe and good luck.

Well done mate

• Paid Members

Stayed in tonight, somewhat wisely decided that I knew I'd go a bit off the rails at trying to celebrate yet another huge transition.

Did an online pub quiz, rang some friends and will see people tomorrow. Already acting smarter, who knew a few letters after and before my name would do it right?

• Paid Members

It might be the only time I apologise in advance for a "TIL", but...

...today I learned two things about the Crazy Frog version of "Axel F"

1. Its official video has, as I type this, almost 2.28 BILLION views on YouTube, and...

2. ...the French feckin loved it! It spent 13 weeks at the top of the singles chart there and was only dethroned by another Crazy Frog release, it's version of "popcorn".

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Anyone else getting Burn After Reading vibes from imagining him inventing this thing?

Apparently he got the Idea when talking to Debbie Harry while they were in a hot tub together. 

Infer from that what you will.

• Paid Members

Yeah, if I was a superstar suave bastard sat in a hot tub with Debbie Harry, my mind would totally be focused on how to improve a choc ice.

I actually quite like the choc ice format. No stick to get rid of at the end.

• Paid Members

TIL something great which led to learning about a couple of smaller, cool things.

In 1958, the Lumbee Indian community of North Carolina clashed with, and drove away, the KKK. 

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-day-the-native-americans-drove-the-kkk-out-of-town?utm_source=fbsynd&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1up3JGdEYEFP-9X-lf1_FgHW207guM6nVc_wGP58fPdnv65OuSNhsAs3A

It's not often you get to hear about the good guys winning, so this was nice to read. Also interesting to find out that the authorities in the South weren't all as supine in their resistance to racism as we often heard reported. 

The other cool things were that there were people mentioned in the article with familiar surnames: Chavis and Locklear. So I checked out Chris "Tatanka" Chavis' Wiki profile, and, sure enough, he's a Lumbee Indian. I then checked out the list of notable Lumbee Indians, and it seems Heather Locklear has Lumbee heritage too! It seems the surnames Chavis and Locklear are relatively common within the community, which, being small, would be understandable, I guess.

Oh, and the article ends with a quote that sums up exactly my position on why what people moan about as "cancel culture" when it comes to Nazis and white supremacists is justified:

The Lumbees are still fighting today, protecting their land and tribe from the construction of an oil and gas pipeline and improper usage of their symbols. But according to historian Malinda Maynor Lowery, the discussion of “right and wrong in today’s society” has shifted.

“People are anxious to defend racist, hostile actions in the interest of hearing from ‘both sides,’” Lowery said. “In 1958, people understood that the Klan didn’t have a side worth defending.”

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

So I checked out Chris "Tatanka" Chavis' Wiki profile, and, sure enough, he's a Lumbee Indian

Didn’t Heenan make jokes about him being a Lumpy Indian or have I imagined that?