Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

4 hours ago, Tommy! said:

That a sentence of hard labour wasn't always always for some constructive output or cheap workforces and machines and devices were designed and built just to make people expend physically effort for no reason. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank_machine

This whole topic fascinates me, another one was moving rocks from one location to another....and then back again, just because.

The treadmill is also fascinating, you would do it for 8 hours a day, 15 mins on, 5 mins rest, there was a wall either side so you had nothing to look at it and talking was forbidden. Can you imagine how physically demanding that would be? Especially if you were not a very fit man.

I know prison is no walk in the park these days but Christ, at least you actually are not tortured daily

Steve Barron, the director of many ground breaking and iconic music videos such as A-Ha'a 'Take On Me', MJ's 'Billie Jean', Dire Strait's 'Money For Nothing' as well as videos for many 80's mega smash hits like 'Summer of '69', 'Electric Avenue', 'Don't You Want Me?', 'Going Underground', 'Steppin' Out', 'Africa' & 'Roseanna' didn't have quite the prestige when it came to his feature films. The highlights of which include Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Mike Bassett: England Manager.

• Paid Members

Today I learned that Count Duckula started out as a villain on Danger Mouse. I had seen episodes where he featured, but always assumed they were crossovers, rather than predating the standalone Duckula series.

I also learned that the reboot series features a monkey scientist called Isambard King Kong Brunel, which is brilliant.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Coconut said:

As a native Cardiffian I especially can't believe that I've only just found out that Sam Warburton and Gareth Bale were in the same year at Whitchurch High in Cardiff. 

That school has some tremendous sporting pedigree. The 2 time olympic gold medallist and Tour de France winner Geraint Thomas is only a couple of years older than Bale and Warburton. 

23 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Today I learned that Count Duckula started out as a villain on Danger Mouse. I had seen episodes where he featured, but always assumed they were crossovers, rather than predating the standalone Duckula series.

I also learned that the reboot series features a monkey scientist called Isambard King Kong Brunel, which is brilliant.

The reboot is actually a pretty damn good series by modern kids standards, Alexander Armstrong is decent voicing DM and Stephen Fry is a regular scene stealer as Colonel K

• Paid Members

Don't forget "the actor" Kevin Eldon as Penfold. Dave Lamb is a good choice as narrator as well. 

• Paid Members

I watched the Wayne's World films last night for the first time in about 25 years. After spending most of the first film trying to place where I'd seen the actor who played Terry, the "I love you man", guy, it finally dawns in me it's Lee Tegesen, who I'm sure all on here better know him as Tobias Beecher from Oz! It may have been common knowledge, but it was a real "Fuck me, it's him" moment for me!