Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

I've got the same birthday as Dina Meyer who played Dizzy in Starship Troopers and Detective Kerry in the first 2 and a bit Saw movies amongst other roles. 

• Paid Members

Today I learned the kid that Eden Hazard punted in the ribs in 2013 at Swansea for lying on the ball created the vodka brand Au, that has become pretty popular with nightclubs and students the last few years.

Always figured he was an academy boy, but his dad was one of the Directors at Swansea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

...that Austin Powers originated from a band that Mike Myers had formed with, among other people, Susannah Hoffs of the Bangles in the late 80s/early 90s, called "Ming Tea". He performed under the name and character of Austin Powers, and she performed under the name "Gillian Shagwell".

37 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

...that Austin Powers originated from a band that Mike Myers had formed with, among other people, Susannah Hoffs of the Bangles in the late 80s/early 90s, called "Ming Tea". He performed under the name and character of Austin Powers, and she performed under the name "Gillian Shagwell".

Their song “BBC” is a banger and is on the Austin Powers soundtrack. 

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

Anthony Kiedis of the Red Hot Chili Peppers used to go out with Mel C from the Spice Girls. One of the songs on Californication is about their break up. I've already forgotten which song it was as RHCP are complete dog shit.

Emit Remmus from Californication wasn't it?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Their song “BBC” is a banger and is on the Austin Powers soundtrack. 

I didn't realise that was them! It is indeed a banger. And remarkably prescient, given how many BBC channels there are now that weren't around at the time of the song.

Today I learnt that America had plans to detonate a nuclear bomb on the moon! Had to look up some background on it, this comes from Wikipedia:

"Project A119, also known as A Study of Lunar Research Flights, was a top-secret plan developed in 1958 by the United States Air Force. 

The aim of the project was to detonate a nuclear bomb on the Moon, which would help in answering some of the mysteries in planetary astronomy and astrogeology. If the explosive device detonated on the surface, and not in a lunar crater, the flash of explosive light would have been faintly visible to people on Earth with their naked eye. 

This was meant as a show of force resulting in a possible boosting of domestic morale in the capabilities of the United States, a boost that was needed after the Soviet Union took an early lead in the Space Race and was also working on a similar project."

Edited by LSM

On 7/5/2021 at 9:43 PM, wordsfromlee said:

Now this could be complete bollocks as this is all my own research. And by research I mean 10 minutes browsing Wikipedia, but...

From 1990 until their title was overtaken in 2009 by Dizzee Rascal when he released Tongue n' Cheek - which contained four number one singles - the most successful British rapper was... John Barnes. Three Top 5 singles, one being a Number One, 28 weeks total in the charts. Stormzy has only just about equalled his record in 2019 but even he didn't have his first three singles in the Top 5.

Sorry to debunk this but various members of So Solid Crew would have that beat. I can't remember any of their rappers names but Blazin Squad somehow had 7 top 10 songs including a number 1 as well. If we are vearing of into rappers in boybands territory as well it gets worse for Barnes if you count J from Five and Tony from East 17.

2 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Sorry to debunk this but various members of So Solid Crew would have that beat. I can't remember any of their rappers names but Blazin Squad somehow had 7 top 10 songs including a number 1 as well. If we are vearing of into rappers in boybands territory as well it gets worse for Barnes if you count J from Five and Tony from East 17.

Were So Solid Crew and Blazing Squad rappers? They were more like garage MC’s? 

Edit - think one of them was called Kenzi and was banging Katie Price for a while

Edited by stewdogg