Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

...that Gozer the Gozerian, the Ghostbusters antagonist, wasn't a real Sumerian/Hittite god, but was the name given to the Enfield poltergeist by the mediums who were called in to visit the property and "communicate" with it.

• Paid Members

TIL the hip hop classic Can I Kick It? by A Tribe Called Quest samples Spotty from Superted.

14300.jpg.b03c3de7504c07381a175599f4adeb1a.jpg

Spoiler: it's the 'Errrr...you can' bit. 

I found this out whilst researching the English voice that provides the 'A TRIBE CALLED QUEST...quest...quest' bit during the song (it's Pete Tong, for those interested).

57 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

TIL the hip hop classic Can I Kick It? by A Tribe Called Quest samples Spotty from Superted.

14300.jpg.b03c3de7504c07381a175599f4adeb1a.jpg

Spoiler: it's the 'Errrr...you can' bit. 

I found this out whilst researching the English voice that provides the 'A TRIBE CALLED QUEST...quest...quest' bit during the song (it's Pete Tong, for those interested).

Not a TIL, but I always thought a spotty man bringing a bear to life with cosmic dust was one of the more subtle 80s Soho nightclub references in kids' cartoons.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RancidPunx said:

TIL that Prince Phillip had an email account in the 1980’s...

Would explain some of the really old, really long racist joke chain letter emails I got sent in the late 90s

• Paid Members

That scene with Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct was shot without her knowledge. 

FB_IMG_1620915668963.jpg

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

I have no idea how this has passed me by, but Hey Ya, which I always just 'assumed' was a happy go lucky song, is actually incredibly dark and depressing. 

I suppose as it's such a massive song I never really paid attention to the lyrics before.

The thing that made me realise how dark the song is was that Obadiah Parker cover that went viral back in the day before viral was really a thing. Slow the song down and the lyrics really stand out.

19 minutes ago, lars85 said:

Robert Englund sang backing vocals on Can You Feel The Love Tonight. I thought my mate made that up. But apparently it's true.

Rick Astley, Kiki Dee and Tory tax dodger Barlow as well. 

4 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

I have no idea how this has passed me by, but Hey Ya, which I always just 'assumed' was a happy go lucky song, is actually incredibly dark and depressing. 

I suppose as it's such a massive song I never really paid attention to the lyrics before.

Funny you mention that, i watched a documentary on The Prodigy last night 

They mentioned that the lyrics to FireStarter weren’t literally meant about starting fires but more so how Keith Flint saw his role in the band as the hype man, to kick things off and to spark the crowd into coming alive for the gig .

Keith wrote the song about himself obviously , and apparently came from a place of personal self loathing , which is a little more poignant considering his suicide .  

I'm the trouble starter, punkin' instigator
I'm the fear addicted, a danger illustrated

I'm the bitch you hated, filth infatuated, yeah
I'm the pain you tasted, fell intoxicated

I'm the self inflicted, mind detonator, yeah
I'm the one infected, twisted animator

• Paid Members

As daft as it sounds, it was only today that it twigged that the term "prima donna" is from the Italian language.

For extra embarrassing context, I have been living in Sardinia since last August and it was only when seeing a shop called Prima Donna that it really clicked "wait a minute....these are both Italian words!".

Far from my proudest moment but I'm taking it as a linguistic sign of progress (which has been minimal as having been in lockdown for almost a year, it's difficult to practice).