NJPW World

Sphinx

So with Okada saying he wants to defend his title on both nights of WK, how are they going to play it? Traditional logic says he successfully defends against Ibushi night 1, unless of course his announcement is a red herring and he loses the belt and Ibushi goes on to defend (and possibly lose?!) against Naito on night 2??

https://www.njpw1972.com/63157 The full press release.

Phase one: discovering new wrestlers in markets outside Japan and developing talent through the LA Dojo.

Phase two: run events in the US, including at Madison Square Garden and Dallas this year, both independently, and with the assistance of other promotions.  

Phase three: establish a company within the US, and be ingrained in the everyday fabric when it comes to fans’ wrestling consciousness. 

• Paid Members

Interesting they went down the "Nintendo of America" route. Would've thought, to make it a bit more palatable to the general American market, they'd call it "New America Pro-Wrestling" or something.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Interesting they went down the "Nintendo of America" route. Would've thought, to make it a bit more palatable to the general American market, they'd call it "New America Pro-Wrestling" or something.

I don't think they'd want to undermine the NJPW brand by not incorporating it in full in the name; and I don't know what they think their ceiling is in the US market, but I imagine they must have done enough market research to realise that their audience is largely made up of people for whom "Japan" will be more of a draw than a turn-off.

• Paid Members

The wrestling audience is such that if you stray from the brand, you alienate the core you have in the first place. Anything that doesn't feel true to what NJPW is at its heart will just draw derision from the people that are already guaranteed to support them. I would have thought something like NJPW:US would have been easier and neater to brand. Although "America" possibly opens up more doors in Canada and Mexico.

• Paid Members

True, but if you have "New America Pro-Wrestling", and have the same logo but re-worked to show the difference, surely people would pick up on it being the same company? The "New [country] Pro-Wrestling" title formula is quite distinctive.

(Incidentally, during my brief time in wrestling, when I had all my big dreams and ideas that were basically bollocks, one of my ambitions was to run my own promotion called All-Britain Pro-Wrestling, and approach All-Japan about being a British franchise. The fact that I have the business sense of the first-week eliminee on The Apprentice didn't apparently deter that idea.)

• 2 weeks later...