NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members
On 11/3/2019 at 9:13 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

It looks like they’re doing Okada/Ibushi and White/Naito on Night 1 with the winners of those main eventing night 2 to decide the first ever Double Champ.

It’s the hope that kills you.

• 3 weeks later...

My money is on Ospreay retaining, Sanada to win the British Heavyweight Title, Tanahashi to win, Moxley to win the US Title (and lose it to Archer the next day), Okada and Naito in the finals.

With Naito being crowned the IWGP Heavyweight Champion.

Looking forward to it.

Edited by LWOLeN

Flying out to Tokyo tomorrow, can't wait. Here's my WK predictions in bold:

4th

Liger/Sasuke/Fujinami/Tiger Mask vs Sano/Otani/Takaiwa/Taguchi

EVIL/SANADA/BUSHI/Takagi vs Suzuki/ZSJ/TAICHI/El Desperado

Goto/Ishii/Yano/YOSHI-HASHI vs KENTA/Fale/Owens/Takahashi

Guerrillas of Destiny vs Finjuice

Lance Archer vs Jon Moxley

Will Ospreay vs Hiromu Takahashi

Jay White vs Tetsuya Naito

Kazuchika Okada va Kota Ibushi

5th

Liger/Sano vs Takahashi/Lee

SHO/YOH vs El Phantasmo/Ishimori

Zack Sabre Jr vs SANADA

Jon Moxley vs Juice Robinson

KENTA vs Hirooki Goto

Jay White vs Kota Ibushi

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Chris Jericho

Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito

Edited by Harvey Dent

• Paid Members

This reddit post is a really good intro to the current stories in NJPW for any newcomers, and a breakdown of who everyone is. Even for someone who's watched a handful of shows like me, it's really useful.

As far as the main events go, I'm guessing it's going to be Naito over Ibushi in the final. Partly because fuck having Jay White in the final, but also because this way, you get another main event out of Naito/Okada as well, which would probably have more meaning than any of the others.

I'm hoping the speculation around AEW/NJPW working together is real, but that the crossovers are sporadic. Them openly acknowledging each other is good, and it'd be a useful hook for them for New Year's Dash to have the Elite turn up.

• Paid Members

How would you go with it?

To be fair, I think it's close. But it's also on the basis that Naito has been the almost-man and the 'failure' a few times already, so this would be a hell of a way to put him in that position. Anyone else could just win. I guess it depends on the reasoning for the two nights to an extent. If it's just to make sure it covers both nights, than it's anyone's game.

Otherwise, if you were going to do Ibushi/Okada, you can probably just do that as a main event. If it were that, I'd guess it's Ibushi going over.

If it's Jay White/Okada... actually fuck that and fuck Jay White. Shouldn't be, won't be, and if it is, Okada wins.

Okada/Naito... I don't see this one. I'd enjoy it, but if it's this, then Naito going over has more going for it than another Okada win. Okada's bulletproof at this point.

Naito/Ibushi with Ibushi winning... it'd put Ibushi over hella strong. But I reckon him winning over Okada is his big moment. You don't need him to also beat Naito or White. You'd have set it up so him beating Okada was the night 2 match instead. Also, then, you don't have a big match to build for with Ibushi outside of rematches (unless we're talking about Jay White, and y'know - fuck Jay White).

This is almost tailor-made for Naito, it allows everyone else to come out looking good, and it sets up another big match. 

Edited by Chris B

I'll be pulling for Naito too, coz he's my boy. Sure, he coasts from time to time, but Ibushi vs Naito is essentially face vs face, and either way the crowd will cheer the victor. I just feel Naito has more potential opponents than Ibushi in terms of intriguing styles - Ibushi is the pure NJPW style face, so as much as he's earned main event, I just don't get excited about the potential match ups. I'm also biased toward Naito finally getting his chance on top, with Ibushi as his 2020 rival. I think Ibushi is just the kind of guy to put on the best matches with Naito. Anything vs Okada at this point is just efficient rather than interesting.

And fuck Jay White.

Yeah, for me I feel like Naito needs this right now far more than Ibushi does. Kota could easily go another year but Naito? Not sure how many times they can have him lose before it's too late to pull the trigger. It's always a difficult one to call. Both guys could have the crowd support behind them for years to come, but sometimes it will die off if someone's made to look too much like a loser.