NJPW World

Sphinx

Wrestle Kingdom is starting to take shape now 

Ospreay/Takahashi, Jericho/Tanahashi, Roppongi 3k/ELP and Ishimori, Okada/Ibushi, White/Naito and the Liger Tag.

That doesn’t even cover 1 of the scheduled 2 nights, They seem to be building to Shibata having some sort of match possibly with Goto in a tag against Kenta and a partner.

They have shows in America next week and then the World Tag League begins on the 16th

I wonder if Omega is going to be at WK? I know AEW stuff and all that but Y2J is doing it so surely Kenny is on similar deal, Omega vs Kota (new IWPG Champ) on night 2 for the world title would help sell it as a big show, and I'm sure Omega would wanna help his friend out. Even do a Kenny vs someone number 1 contender on night 1 to stream line it.

8 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

I wonder if Omega is going to be at WK? I know AEW stuff and all that but Y2J is doing it so surely Kenny is on similar deal, Omega vs Kota (new IWPG Champ) on night 2 for the world title would help sell it as a big show, and I'm sure Omega would wanna help his friend out. Even do a Kenny vs someone number 1 contender on night 1 to stream line it.

It looks like they’re doing Okada/Ibushi and White/Naito on Night 1 with the winners of those main eventing night 2 to decide the first ever Double Champ.

Matt Jackson has said an AEW/NJPW relationship won’t be happening so I don’t see Kenny being on any New Japan show for quite sometime, he worked a show for DDT today too.

Jericho had a deal with New Japan prior to AEW so he can continue wrestling on the big shows there, As did Moxley who will probably also be on these shows.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

Just me that thinks this has been one of the coldest builds to a Tokyo Dome show in ages? I know on the night there's a 99% probability they knock it out of the park again, but I don't know if I've ever had less anticipation in the run up to a Wrestle Kingdom show.

Okada/Ibushi will be great but the build hasn't been great, and Ibushi's dropping pinfalls in situations where he really shouldn't. All Naito's done this year is lose. Switchblade had a great G1 but his momentum has also stalled. Hiromu being back is great, but I think a lot of people need to severely curb their expectations regarding his in-ring performance. I would've been happy to see the Jericho gimmick sacked off after he lost to Naito, at a push Okada, let alone Tanahashi. The tag division isn't remotely exciting. I love Shibata, but have absolutely zero desire to see him wrestle again.

Maybe I'm just being a grouch about it. I'm excited for Lance Archer - he's been brilliant. What's Ishii doing? Can we have another scrap between him and Moxley? Is it too late for a Fale push?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
2 minutes ago, westlondonmist said:

Bit disappointed Liger isn't getting a singles match at Wrestle Kingdom 

Same, I was expecting a singles match with Hiromu.

I had to look up his tag partner in that match, and I get that it's clearly someone who means a lot to Liger's career, and to him personally - but they're doing the "Liger with people important to his career" match the following night!

I'm also disappointed in the lack of a New Japan Rumble. That on night two would be great.

Ishii rarely gets a big spot at the Dome so that’s not too surprising. A Shingo/Suzuki match would have been nice though, definitely keep an eye on them in that LIJ/SG 8 man.

I don’t think Suzuki is done exactly, but he’s definitely transitioning into a different role. KENTA/Goto will be great and has clearly been the direction for months now.

For me the biggest surprise in the WK cards is of all the people pulling double duty neither Tanahashi or Ospreay are.

Had absolutely no reason to expect it, but I really wanted Tanahashi/Jericho to go on Night One so you could do Tanahashi/Liger on Night Two. Ace of the heavyweight division against the ace of the Junior division. 

His tag match with Hiromu/Lee will be fun, no doubt, and the crowd will be electric for him, but I'd much rather him put over Hiromu in a singles capacity. Maybe because we've already seen that match within the last couple of years, maybe.

Edited by AdamTH17