NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

I'd been to Kaiju Big Battel at Ally Pally earlier this year, but this was my first time at a "serious" wrestling show in a long time. My wrestling viewing in general over the past decade has been very sporadic in general. 

I bloody loved this show. The atmosphere, the wrestling, the arena, it was just a really good night, and made me realise just how much I'd come to miss wrestling (well, mainstream puro at the very least). 

I'd been meaning to get NJPW World for some time and try to catch up from a certain point, so I could finally see the career of Tanahashi, but also the rises of Naito and Okada. This event was a great starting point for me to jump on with current events, and therefore get the service to do both. 

Killer hangover today. Had a blast last night at NJPW and then watching All Out. Was 7 rows from the front for this show.

Firstly you need an intermission! Especially when its New Japan as they cant throw in a token women's match that acts as the same thing....

Highlight for me was probably GoD v Ausie Open - I've wanted to see GoD live for ages and Tama Tonga is just an absolute superstar. Great match.

Ishii / Kenta and Okada / Suzuki were awesome too.

Edited by MPDTT

The big matches for the next tours have been announced.

Sunday September 15th

British Rev Pro Heavyweight Title

Hiroshi Tanahashi(c) Vs Zack Sabre Jr

Monday September 16th

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Titles

Taiji Ishimori and El Phantasmo(c) Vs Will Ospreay and Robbie Eagles

G1 Briefcase Match

Kota Ibushi(c) Vs Kenta

Sunday 22nd September 

Hirooki Goto Vs Shingo Takagi

IWGP Intercontinental Title

Tetsuya Naito(c) Vs Jay White

Monday 14th October 

IWGP Heavyweight Title

Kazuchika Okada(c) Vs Sanada

IWGP US Title

Jon Moxley(c) Vs Juice Robinson

IWGP JR Heavyweight Title 

Will Ospreay(c) Vs El Phantasmo

Edited by TildeGuy~!

I loved this show. Comfortably one of the best times I've had at a live event since I first started going in 2001.

Venue was perfect. I was sitting directly opposite the ring in the lower tier and had an amazing view. I did wander about a bit before it started and definitely felt like there were no bad seats. Even the ones behind the entrance way were good.

Crowd was great. Everyone right down to Umino, Sho etc. were over big and the likes of Ibushi, Naito, Okada, Suzuki and Tanahashi were like gods.

The undercard was good in the typical NJPW show way. Everyone looked good and got to do their stuff without it descending into a wankfest. I know some were probably disappointed with the Ospreay and Ibushi matches but they were never going all out to steal the show with their placement on the card. That just isn't how New Japan shows are structured. (They build to a crescendo. Mental, I know.)

Main bouts:

KENTA/Ishii was a weird one. Probably 80% of this match was extremely high end work and exactly what you would want out of these two. Could have been a minor classic had KENTA not been knocked silly. The spot where KENTA KO'd Ishii with an overhand right had me losing the plot.

Loved Tana and ZSJ. Probably not a combination for everyone but I am a big fan of the style they work together. Their G1 bout was one of my favourites of the whole tournament. Couldn't have been happier to see one of the absolute genuine undisputed all time greats win a title in a great match.

Okada/Suzuki.

What can you say about this? Fucking *mental* match. An instant classic. The best I've ever seen live having been to multiple WrestleMania's, ROH, Dragon Gate, Rev Pro etc.

Genius level work from start to finish here. A classic match with no silly highspots, no sprint of finishing moves, no near falls. A match that had the crowd exploding for the tease of a piledriver, a dropkick, sleeper holds and forearm strikes.

Incredible selling, psychology and call-backs to their previous bouts. This reminded me of a classic AJPW main in that it was fucking great in a bubble but watching it in context took it to another level entirely.

I cannot say enough about this match.

16 hours ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

Genius level work from start to finish here. A classic match with no silly highspots, no sprint of finishing moves, no near falls. A match that had the crowd exploding for the tease of a piledriver, a dropkick, sleeper holds and forearm strikes.

Incredible selling, psychology and call-backs to their previous bouts. This reminded me of a classic AJPW main in that it was fucking great in a bubble but watching it in context took it to another level entirely.

I cannot say enough about this match.

Man, you lot really wanted that piledriver! Poor Okada was getting booed out the building by the end for delaying it. 

This and the G1 show from Texas had such a great atmosphere. Makes me wish New Japan would sort out their international relations. Love seeing how the roster react to the 'gaijin' crowds too, KENTA and Suzuki in particular seemed to be having the times of their lives out there. 

Main event was pretty great and reminded me of how much I've missed Suzuki. KENTA/Ishii was cracking for the most part but fuck me it was hard to watch by the end. KENTA was so clearly out of it towards the finish, he's lucky if he didn't fuck himself proper. This angle with Shibata has been brilliant for him though, enjoying his work.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members

I'll have to rewatch Okada vs Suzuki but I'm going to give KENTA vs Ishii a miss. It was extremely uncomfortable to watch live; KENTA really fucked himself up on a german suplex and he was clearly out of it, and then proceeded to slowly and sloppily wrestle for eight more minutes or so. He couldn't even climb the turnbuckles properly afterwards. Mind blowing that the match wasn't stopped. I can't imagine how dreadful it is to watch with close-up cameras and a hardcam.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

I'll have to rewatch Okada vs Suzuki but I'm going to give KENTA vs Ishii a miss. It was extremely uncomfortable to watch live; KENTA really fucked himself up on a german suplex and he was clearly out of it, and then proceeded to slowly and sloppily wrestle for eight more minutes or so. He couldn't even climb the turnbuckles properly afterwards. Mind blowing that the match wasn't stopped. I can't imagine how dreadful it is to watch with close-up cameras and a hardcam.

Worrying that spot where they both sat down and slapped each other about was after KENTA got messed up. He took a pretty rough looking vertical drop brainbuster as well.

Tone it down lads ffs.

Re-watching the Suzuki vs Okada match it was just so brilliant and the crowd being red hot made it that much better. Suzuki is massively over in the UK and if he ever wins the IWGP Heavyweight Title it should be in the UK purely from a crowd response perspective. Suzuki is hugely underrated in my view; he does the little things so well, never seems reckless and has a badass aura. He deserves at least one reign before he retires. That said for a guy 51 years old he can sure as hell go. Compare him to Undertaker or HHH ands he is head and shoulders above. I believe his working style has helped him in that regard as he keeps it grounded and doesn't do stupid shit that gets injuries. 

A great event all in all. I love NJPW so for me it was great but I understand some people may not like it because of the style. I'd give the show a solid 8/10 from a live perspective.