The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

My brother's in his 40's and has had to take a lot of time off work due to sore joints in the last few months. He's been to the doctor, but can't go to the hospital for x-rays because of Coronavirus, so can't confirm if its arthritis, but he thinks it is. Is there any readily available medication he can take to help? He can't have ibuprofen as it doesn't agree with him. Unfortunately his job requires a lot of lifting so he can't really switch roles. Any advice appreciated!

If he's in his 40s in a physical job, is it possibly just age? I've been lifting weights for over 20 years now, and in the past year have had to be very careful overloading my hips and elbows, not because of injuries or impingements but just how much longer recovery takes.

I've caught these things early, adjusted my technique on lifts and general activities, and thrown the usual supps at myself - cod liver oil, glucosamine, chondroitin - to lube up my joints. I've also identified those foods that I didn't agree with, which may have been adding to any inflammation, and cut out or reduced them. These measures sorted me out within a month or so.

But that's my gym rat analysis; I'm sure the doc will tell him what's really what!

Edited by CavemanLynn

1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

If he's in his 40s in a physical job, is it possibly just age? I've been lifting weights for over 20 years now, and in the past year have had to be very careful overloading my hips and elbows, not because of injuries or impingements but just how much longer recovery takes.

I've caught these things early, adjusted my technique on lifts and general activities, and thrown the usual supps at myself - cod liver oil, glucosamine, chondroitin - to lube up my joints. I've also identified those foods that I didn't agree with, which may have been adding to any inflammation, and cut out or reduced them. These measures sorted me out within a month or so.

But that's my gym rat analysis; I'm sure the doc will tell him what's really what!

Could be age, and the fact he's been doing it for many years doesn't help. Cod liver oil is a good shout, thanks. He's very resistant to change and rarely listens to me. I've bought him a belt and some arch support insoles (they sorted my shitty knees out) and had them sent to his door and he still won't try them.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

does anyone else have experience of anger/irritability after resistance training? Most times now after doing some moderate,  fairly lightweight full body resistance training at home, i seem to be angry and irritable afterwards for most of the day and i don't know why. 

Can only say I have the opposite where i'm pretty calm and relaxed for the rest of the day, perhaps its a super boost of testosterone or something.

On another note i'm trying to boost my cardio, not a big fan or believer in HIIT so it's mostly steady state longer based cardio using varying inclines but I was curious if anyone knew which was actually "better" for burning calories between a treadmill and elliptical trainer. I prefer the latter as I haven't got the most nimble legs but interested in other people's opinions. 

41 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

does anyone else have experience of anger/irritability after resistance training? Most times now after doing some moderate,  fairly lightweight full body resistance training at home, i seem to be angry and irritable afterwards for most of the day and i don't know why. 

Bulking up and angry and irritable? 

Are you on the gas?

3 hours ago, simonworden said:

Can only say I have the opposite where i'm pretty calm and relaxed for the rest of the day, perhaps its a super boost of testosterone or something.

On another note i'm trying to boost my cardio, not a big fan or believer in HIIT so it's mostly steady state longer based cardio using varying inclines but I was curious if anyone knew which was actually "better" for burning calories between a treadmill and elliptical trainer. I prefer the latter as I haven't got the most nimble legs but interested in other people's opinions. 

They're both as good as each other for burning calories. The cross trainer is more favorable on the joints, so if that's an issue, do that.

Been doing workouts at home for about 6 weeks. Had been pretty consistent at doing four a week/week and a half, but had an 18 day gap between workouts recently. In that time, I'd been upping the calories I take in.

I'm following the Adidas training app which sets workouts for you, and the first back was fairly tough but I got through it - but was sick for the first time afterwards. Second workout was a couple days later and was ok, but yesterday was much tougher (the app had started a new week and upped the intensity) and my muscles didn't feel exhausted but my body felt weak and like it could be sick again (not helped by the fact there were jumping jacks, jump squats, and flat out burpees).

I'd last eaten about 2-3 hours before the workout but was frustrated as I felt I'd have had a better chance with the exercises if my body was taking in its usual calories. I'd had porridge with raisins, chia seeds, peanut butter, banana and syrup, and I'd had toast and a bit of dark chocolate maybe an hour after that.

I'm 10st 4, 6ft 3 with a very fast metabolism and need to be eating about 3000 calories a day to be adding 0.5lbs a week. I didn't count calories before but obviously it's a jump up. I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to eat despite being full - I'm usually good to eat often.

Anyone had experience balancing gaining weight and performing exercises effectively?

On 6/11/2020 at 6:01 PM, Sphinx said:

Been doing workouts at home for about 6 weeks. Had been pretty consistent at doing four a week/week and a half, but had an 18 day gap between workouts recently. In that time, I'd been upping the calories I take in.

I'm following the Adidas training app which sets workouts for you, and the first back was fairly tough but I got through it - but was sick for the first time afterwards. Second workout was a couple days later and was ok, but yesterday was much tougher (the app had started a new week and upped the intensity) and my muscles didn't feel exhausted but my body felt weak and like it could be sick again (not helped by the fact there were jumping jacks, jump squats, and flat out burpees).

I'd last eaten about 2-3 hours before the workout but was frustrated as I felt I'd have had a better chance with the exercises if my body was taking in its usual calories. I'd had porridge with raisins, chia seeds, peanut butter, banana and syrup, and I'd had toast and a bit of dark chocolate maybe an hour after that.

I'm 10st 4, 6ft 3 with a very fast metabolism and need to be eating about 3000 calories a day to be adding 0.5lbs a week. I didn't count calories before but obviously it's a jump up. I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to eat despite being full - I'm usually good to eat often.

Anyone had experience balancing gaining weight and performing exercises effectively?

Stay away from the high calorie burns and go for long steady cardio and toning/flexibility. All it appears you are doing is forcing your body to fight itself which wont help by feeding it loads and then basically eating all of your glycogen. Weight gain will be difficult doing that. Slow it down and you can tone and gain but with out the extremities.

Anybody here struggle with wheat or gluten intolerance? I’ve struggled with bloating for years, but I’ve never been able to identify whats causing it. Last night, however, my girlfriend made some garlic bread and I had to lie on the floor for 2-3 hours after eating it because I felt too sick to move and looked six months pregnant. It would also explain why I can’t drink more than 3 of my home brew beers without feeling sick because they’re brewed with wheat.

If so, so these symptoms sound familiar to you?