The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

One of the few enjoyable upsides to this period of lockdown, is I have rediscovered my joy of running (as my socially distanced government mandated outdoor exercise of choice).  Had intended to try and do 3-4k three times a week, and while I'm still only going out three times a week, I've logged nearly thirty miles in the past two weeks (albeit very slowly).

It won't likely offset the amount of beer and easter eggs I've been eating, but it's been great for my mental health.  It has also been great for getting me up early and out of the house before starting work and giving some extra structure to my week. 

22 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Whenever I ride my bike I question just how bradley wiggins ever fathered any children... Bollock burn for days

Padded lycra shorts mate.  For those of us with imposing packages, they’re a must.  Keep it out  of the way and protect your arse.

And a helmet. The amount of people out and about without helmets is pissing me off. Had a run in with a bloke the other day. He was cycling along a bridle path that I often walk the dogs on. 

Due to the huge amount of people on it I walk them on a parallel farmers field and then cut back onto the path. I stopped at the edge of the field to put the dogs on their leads. One of them, my 25kg 8 month puppy got excited and darted out. The  bloke was no where near but still hit the brakes and stared at me. I ignored him as I was fetching the dog back. 

As he got closer he said "should keep and eye on him mate, accident waiting to happen"

I replied "fair enough but if you are going to lecture about accidents waiting to happen you might want to put a helmet on" 

He sat for a few seconds before bellowing "fuck off" and peddling away. 

• Paid Members

Having managed to put on all the weight I lost since Christmas I have set myself a target. In a moment of madness I said I would do a 5k run on may 17th.

Keep in mind my longest run up to now has been 2k, with breaks, and I am hugely fat. I mean, crazy fat. Near 20 stone. 

In order to force myself to do it I asked for some small sponsorships for a local cancer charity. Figured I wouldnt back down that way. The 50 quid target was smashed within a couple of hours. Now I'm bricking it. Best crack on with running tomorrow.

• Awards Moderator

This just happened. 

20200428_134726.thumb.jpg.3e71ae8e9d7bfd3d6e868d863a3b9beb.jpg

It's a bit of a lie actually. I've done "Couch to 30 Minutes" managing 4.5k but it's quite hilly round my way. I'll get there though. 

I hate running. Fucking loathe it. Except now... I kind of don't. There's definitely something in the mental health aspect that's amazing to clear the bonce, and hey it's supposed to be good for you too. 

I'd really like to keep it going. 

• Paid Members

@ReturnOfTheMack Good luck, and @Onyx2 congrats!

I'm really missing running at the moment. It's pretty much impossible to stay 2m away from people round this way so I've knocked it on the head until lockdown is over. Not been for a run for 4 weeks now and I know that first time back is going to absolutely destroy me. It's a great way for me to catch up on podcasts and music too so can't wait to get back at it.

• Paid Members

Well done @Onyx2 that’s great stuff! 

It really does make you feel better. Maybe not while you’re doing it and you feel like your lungs are about to drop through your arse but I always find when I get back from a run or a long jog, have a shower and then relax, I feel much better in myself mentally and physically. I used to run regularly in my teens and it stayed a habit through to my mid 20s. I slacked off big time when the kids came along and only ran very occasionally. I’ve been getting back into it during this lockdown and I’m loving it again. It was never a weight thing for me, I’m a midget and never really go above 10st anyway but I find it’s good for clearing my head and I always feel better after. Even if you can’t do running, a good walk can have the same effects.

@Lorne Malvo I’ve been going last thing at night and/or first thing in the morning to avoid that. I’m also a shit sleeper though so I’ve found running late at night then getting back and hitting the shower then bed has helped me get some better kip. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’ve been going last thing at night and/or first thing in the morning to avoid that. I’m also a shit sleeper though so I’ve found running late at night then getting back and hitting the shower then bed has helped me get some better kip. 

I've been meaning to go early morning when the streets are likely to be dead, but my sleep pattern has been completely fucked during lockdown so I need to sort that out first.

I have been working on kettlebells the past few weeks just so I'm not sitting on my arse doing fuck all for weeks, and I'm enjoying that. Already started to look a little more toned and losing the little beer podge I had. It just doesn't seem as rewarding to me as going for a good long run though.