The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

After years of hearing like a Roman emperor I had the sudden realization that I was the fattest person in most rooms. At only 5'7 I weighed nearly 20 stone. I was virtually a perfect sphere.

Early January I started watching calorie intake. Nothing stupid, just making better choices that I could sustain. I have lost a full stone as of today and am over the moon. I know some weeks I may not lose anything, or even slide backwards a little. But I'm determined to keep at it.

My wife was plagued by this for years. She tried steroid injections, acupuncture, strapping, boots for bed.

Nothing worked. It seemingly cleared up one day, I know you love to walk buy you really need to let this rest, it will usually clear up in a few weeks if allowed time to heal. 

Worst case is you completely fuck it up by not resting and you need the plantar snipped off the joint leaving you flat footed. 

The steroid injections worked the best but only short term, that involved being in a cast for a few weeks though. She has had it for years, really extreme case. That said it has been better for the last year or so. I would rest up for a few weeks and then see. A friend of mine had it and bought the sleep boot which seemingly cleared it up in a few weeks so it really does depend on the individual. 

All the walking won't be helping though mate. You essentially need to give it time to right itself or you could be in for years of frustration. Hope it clears up fast for you mate. In the mean time get a bike and do 200 miles day.

I'm giving the 5:2 diet a go at the moment, about 3 weeks in. Was getting fed up of going into a coma after lunch every day, not crazy big lunches either, so I've done away with lunch 2 days a week. Anyone done this (or similar fasting diet) long term? Definitely feeling sharper generally and I've dropped a few lbs. 

• Paid Members

Have been on no (or very low) carbs since the new year, which is doing wonders for getting into Wedding/summer shape. The first week or two were pretty dire, and the initial bouts of diarrhoea were awful, but it soon levelled out and I'm really enjoying how I feel day to day now. Recommended.

• Paid Members
On 2/6/2020 at 5:33 PM, hallicks said:

I'm giving the 5:2 diet a go at the moment, about 3 weeks in. Was getting fed up of going into a coma after lunch every day, not crazy big lunches either, so I've done away with lunch 2 days a week. Anyone done this (or similar fasting diet) long term? Definitely feeling sharper generally and I've dropped a few lbs. 

When I started my weight loss, I dropped lunch. It was a good tactic but when I started fitting in exercise at lunchtime, I found it much harder and eventually switched to rarely having an evening meal instead. Good luck with it. 

I put a bit over a stone back on in the run up and over Xmas so spent January shifting that. I started out at 153kg in March 2018 and have never quite got under 100kg. Closest I've been is 100.5kg. So that's my new goal. Get and stay under 100kg.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Coming up to two years since I started my Man v Fat journey. I've tracked every weigh in I've done in that time so thought I'd do something with them the other day. Currently 100.6 which is the second lowest I've been in that time. Hoping this is the <100 week!

image.png.40a7ed7f0f3f622f21c3e24721553ad3.png

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Coming up to two years since I started my Man v Fat journey. I've tracked every weigh in I've done in that time so thought I'd do something with them the other day. Currently 100.6 which is the second lowest I've been in that time. Hoping this is the <100 week!

image.png.40a7ed7f0f3f622f21c3e24721553ad3.png

Amazing work mate. Truly great effort.

Like you (and pretty much everyone) I put weight on over Xmas. It probably doesn’t help having double dinners at high street buffets to prove a point to forum members like.

Saying that, I was 12.6 stone this morning, which is the lightest I’ve been in 2020. My plan is to get down to 12.0 and bounce between that and 12.7 as a standard. I started my journey around 18 months ago and started at approx 16 stone. 

Best of luck this week Rick.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Saying that, I was 12.6 stone this morning, which is the lightest I’ve been in 2020. My plan is to get down to 12.0 and bounce between that and 12.7 as a standard. I started my journey around 18 months ago and started at approx 16 stone.

Well done, pal. Keep it up. I had the same thought about the buffet lunch 😆

• Paid Members

Over the past month I’ve started to develop a knackered back. Aches and pains, always feels like it needs cracking, need to stretch it and what not. It’s every day, regardless of whether I’m boxing, at work, or off with the youngster. I do light Yoga stretches every 2 or 3 days (I could do more).

I’ve had a proper high street masseuse and a back massage from my wife, neither have helped and now I’m becoming irritated. 

Seriously considering going to see a chiropractor, have any of you been to one? What’s your experience?

I don’t know anyone who has and yet internets opinion ranges from high praise to reports of death, so you know 🙄