The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Started the Couch to 5k thing this week. I'm so out of shape I couldnt complete the first run, until today! It's such a small achievement, but I'm well proud of myself. At the start of the year I weighed 20 stone and hadnt done any exercise in 8 years. 

Great! I started this this year and just finished week 3. It does get easier, I promise! 

• Paid Members

Being a stubborn twat helps a lot. I have my first half marathon 4 weeks today, from a position of virtually zero exercise at the turn of last year.

There is a lot to be said for an "I will not stop running" mindset - moreso in the early days. You'll make it, I'm sure!

• Paid Members

My medical exemption certificate and card came today. I also got a letter from my GP saying my blood test showed my vitamin D was very low, so my first act with my medical exemption card was to get a prescription for some supplements. 

In terms of the diabetes I've changed up my eating a lot, and have been feeling a fair bit better for it. I've no real way of checking my blood sugar, so at the moment I'm trying to gauge it by how I feel a little bit after I've eaten. I'm eating little and often, dug out my measuring cups so I can portion out my porridge at home etc. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Haven't really been out of the house or garden for a week, but I've been doing DDP Yoga pretty much everyday which I'm really enjoying and finding beneficial. Also built a little 'P Rail' so I can still do some shitty Grinds on my skates whilst I can't skate proper. 

I've also managed to knock alcohol on the head for the last 2 weeks. Feeling a lot better because of it too. Wasn't until I stopped that I realised how poor my sleep quality has been for a while. Eating like an absolute pig mind. 

Feel pretty good at the moment. 

• Awards Moderator

I just finished Couch to 5k week 6. A fucking TWENTY FIVE minute run. For those of you who actually do exercise you're probably furrowing your brow at that but as someone who hasn't run since school that's like the Boston Marathon. About the seven minute mark my brain was crying on the inside to stop, but I found if I can just distract myself long enough listening to something my body takes care of everything. I end up doing the Peter Kay Dad Shuffle Run for some of it but I'm still moving forward. 

For those of you on the earlier weeks, I promise it gets easier.

Screenshot_20200404-135604_Fit_copy_810x1385.thumb.jpg.2d578bc60a1b83d76d8848c9a6f1fdad.jpg

• Awards Moderator
41 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

Great work mate. Few more of those and you can come trail running with me in the wilds. 

"... Remains of a fat man was found today in the wilds, identified as those belonging to Onyx2. He appeared to be going for an ill advised run with a stranger off the Internet and events took a dark turn. 

His head was never found. Now over to Carol with the weather... "

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

"... Remains of a fat man was found today in the wilds, identified as those belonging to Onyx2. He appeared to be going for an ill advised run with a stranger off the Internet and events took a dark turn. 

Ralphy walking into shot in the background

1 hour ago, Onyx2 said:

Dammit, another murder foiled by natural caution. 

Been using the Adidas Training app for workouts in the garden. Premium is free for three months without needing to enter any card details. I've just finished a week of a 12 week programme which has been pretty fun but tough in a good way.

I have noticed my weakest area seems to be push ups though. I tend to have to use my knees for the last reps of the last couple of rounds.

I want to get some resistance tubes but delivery date on Amazon seems to be late - like May/June time. Hopefully I can find something that arrives sooner as I fancy trying to work my chest more especially.

• Paid Members

We ran a 3k in the back garden yesterday. Marked out 10m and did it 300 times. Was a decent run considering I've done nothing for a couple of weeks. Going to ramp it up for when they end up banning us from leaving the house.

• Paid Members

Was actually allowed out to go down to my Doctor's to follow up on my diabetes this morning. Got more Metformin. Had some blood taken to see whether my glucoze has come down (it was 108 last month, which isn't good), got weighed (down to 121kg, 266lbs, just over 19 stone, a loss of 6kg, or just under a stone) so the healthier eating is working. If we're allowed out of lockdown in 2 months she'll see me in two months, otherwise she's just going to send my prescription to my local chemist, and they should be able to deliver it for me.

I went to the gym every day from mid-August to mid-March, almost exclusively cardio. Managed to get down from 16 stone-ish to around 11. Have put about half a stone on in a fortnight since it's closed. Am gutted, most fitness regimines don't click with me at all, but the combination of step machine and treadmill stuff I was doing before was actually working. 😔