Sign in to follow this  
ShortOrderCook

The Health and Fitness Thread

Great to see Chest, it’s my goal to clear the garage too, just finding time to clear it and deciding exactly what I want in there. I’m thinking of using a basic replica of my favourite stations to start with, just to motivate me to use it, and then go from there, so a 20kg to 40kg dumbbell rack, punch bag, and resistance band station. Fairly easy to achieve really.

I didn’t realise you were climbing, how do you find it? I’ve only done it once, but I’m intrigued by it.

Daz - I’ve been there man, (over a few years) went from 15 stone, down to 12, then up to 16, but hovering at 14.4 now. My target is 13 and I went to maintain that weight. I’ve given myself until November to reach my goal. Keep going man. As soon as you pick it back up, it will work. You’ve done it before, it can be done👍

On another note, the circuits training class I do on a Wednesday came to an end last week. I was the only attendee for 3 weeks so they decided to understandably call it a day.

It knocked me more than I thought it would as I was very happy with Boxing on Monday’s, circuits on Wednesday and was planning to start weight training again for the first time in 7 years, for on a Friday.

Anyway, I went to the gym for the for the first time in 7 years last night. Although I worked out well and felt strong after, I fucking hated the atmosphere. It was also an eye opener to see how much power I had lost.

I was at one point managing 40kg dumbbell bicep curls and other exercises, but I was at my limit at 25kg last night. Slow process to build back up, but I’m sure I’ll get there.

Punch bag is definitely the next addition for me as it's one of the few tolerable forms of cardio.

Well I say climbing, but I only do bouldering. I don't bother with rope climbing of any sort. Climbing is good fun, to a point. I needed to dial back my expectations. I used to climb regularly but I found I hit a wall in my progress that I just wouldn't be able to get past without dedicating more time per week to it. The conditioning required for it is very specific. 

So now I just resign myself to enjoying routes that are a bit easier than I would ideally like to be climbing and it's more fun. Maybe if I start doing it regularly enough to find myself in the same position as last time then I'll get frustrated again but for now it's fun and good exercise.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Fucking hell. That's good fun radbourne level writing there. I can't be bothered to fix it though.

Well, thought I'd join in here.

On 11th March I weighed in at 22 and a half stone. Always been a big lad, always been a huge source of low self-esteem, depression and anxiety. The arrival of my little one has given me a wake up call, I don't want to end up dead by 40 and I want to build up my confidence and be the best Dad possible.

So, since the 11th March I've been hitting the gym five or six times a week. Currently I'm doing four days HIIT (45 mins each) and one longer cardio routine and one session of resistance training every week. It's probably fairly basic stuff for you guys - just bike, cross trainer, stairs, arm bike, treadmill. Generally speaking I'm burning between 600 and 700 calories in my cardio sessions. Overall I'm running a calorie deficit in excess of 1000 calories a day with macros roughly standing at 40% carbs, 30% fats, 30% protein. 

Pretty chuffed to say I've lost just under 4 stone since the 11th March and I'm absolutely loving the routine and feel fantastic - given it's been three and a half months it feels like a proper routine and lifestyle change. My goal is to shift another 5 stone. 

If you guys have any general advice, it'd be extremely welcome.

4 hours ago, AVM said:

If you guys have any general advice, it'd be extremely welcome.

It sounds as though you don't need any, mate. We'll done!

I was 7 stone 2 around 7 weeks ago and underweight (luckily not by much as im so short that a pair of shorts can be classed as trousers, after eating a shedload of food and hitting the gym i am now 8 stone 7, and it feels like i have put on good weight too, my back, chest, arms and shoulders and my legs feel fuller, and my t shirts fit tighter in all the right places. There is bound to be a fair bit of fat ive put on, but i do feel a tad healthier now  

aside from an insane amount of flapjacks, cereal, biscuits and serving sizes of oats so big quaker would run out, my other dietary choices are fairly good, veg, meats, eggs salad, fruits, Greek yogurt, nuts, seeds and i average 3 protein shakes a day

I have manged to cut back on my cereal and biscuit intake fairly well, had a few blips but not quite as bad as it has been

Edited by Ralphy

On 6/27/2019 at 8:04 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

Punch bag is definitely the next addition for me as it's one of the few tolerable forms of cardio.

Well I say climbing, but I only do bouldering. I don't bother with rope climbing of any sort. Climbing is good fun, to a point. I needed to dial back my expectations. I used to climb regularly but I found I hit a wall in my progress that I just wouldn't be able to get past without dedicating more time per week to it. The conditioning required for it is very specific. 

So now I just resign myself to enjoying routes that are a bit easier than I would ideally like to be climbing and it's more fun. Maybe if I start doing it regularly enough to find myself in the same position as last time then I'll get frustrated again but for now it's fun and good exercise.

How is the elbow now?

Has anyone ever done a walking marathon before? If so, anyone got any tips for training?

I ask as yesterday i walked a total of 21.09 miles (over 3 separate walks) and didn't feel too bad afterwards so i think its something i could do, eventually

I guess being shit scared of my dad and having anxiety and depression and not wanting to be in the house too much can have some sort of strange positive effect?!?!

I have beaten my record of total miles in one day walking, i did 25.50 miles today (over 3 separate walks) and i am very happy, my goal was to reach 100 miles total by Thursday, which would be one week to get 100 miles in. It is Monday as i type this, and since Thursday the 4th of July i now stand at 95.45 miles of walking

i am doing it to avoid dad, but to also prove to myself i can set a goal and achieve it 

Edited by Ralphy

12 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Ever thought of marathon running?

i have tried running and its just not for me, my body doesn't respond well to it at all 

By the way, i have now surpassed my walking distance goal 2 day early, i now stand at just over 105 miles. I would be lying if i said i didnt ache a lot and need a day off, but i know i will probably just carry on 

Edited by Ralphy

Been doing quite a bit of running lately, wanting to get in tip top shape for my coaching.

It's shit, isn't it? Christ I find it so boring. Listening to a podcast helps. Just going for 4 mile runs at a time (nothing near Ralphy Ronaldo levels) certainly does the trick, but I don't enjoy it. I've started playing competitive football on Monday nights which of course is more enjoyable. I cycle to/from the train station twice a day but that doesn't give me as much of a workout as running does.

Edited by PunkStep

3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Been doing quite a bit of running lately, wanting to get in tip top shape for my coaching.

It's shit, isn't it? Christ I find it so boring. Listening to a podcast helps. Just going for 4 mile runs at a time (nothing near Ralphy Ronaldo levels) certainly does the trick, but I don't enjoy it. I've started playing competitive football on Monday nights which of course is more enjoyable. I cycle to the train station twice a day but that doesn't give me as much of a workout as running does.

Yeah, running, especially on your own, is absolute shite. I do it a lot, but only because it's the cheapest and easiest way for me to avoid dropping dead in my 60's. 

If you can, I would recommend joining a club. The knowledge that everyone else is having as bad a time as you helps. 

Edited by Gus Mears

6 hours ago, PunkStep said:

It's shit, isn't it? Christ I find it so boring. Listening to a podcast helps. Just going for 4 mile runs at a time (nothing near Ralphy Ronaldo levels) certainly does the trick, but I don't enjoy it. I've started playing competitive football on Monday nights which of course is more enjoyable. I cycle to/from the train station twice a day but that doesn't give me as much of a workout as running does.

be easy on yourself, thats about 3.9 miles more than i could manage running !

i now stand at just under 114 miles as i went out on another walk earlier

I mostly go to clent, walton, romsley which are countryside places but i tend to stick to similar routes and do often pound the streets more so, i have notched up 16.45 miles today, 41.96 miles since yesterday morning, i need to stop this, its pretty much all i am doing, and i dont even want to half the time, its kinda compulsive 

@Gus Mearsa friend joined a running club a few years ago and it changed her life, shes loves it 

edit - these are my figures in miles as of time of edit 

thu 21.09
fri 21.40
sat = 10.73
sun 16.25
mon = 25.50
tues = 22.25

117.23 total miles

Edited by Ralphy