The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

@tiger_rick - I have but with a less extreme weight loss. I was up at about 16 and a half stone in 2012 and got down to a shade over 13. Ever since then I've bounced between 13.5 and 15.5, usually averaging towards the higher end of that. 

I have periods where I go a month or two doing well. Exercising plus eating a fairly strict diet (usually based on Slimming World) where I'll lose a stone or two. Then I go back to the old eating shite and being lazier, usually when I'm stressed or have a busier schedule than normal.

I think all of that is probably fairly typical for many adult males over 30 and who have kids etc. Where I really get what you're saying though is the thought process on food. I spend almost all day every day analysing what I've eaten and where I might need to be really strict for a few days not to gain weight, which I'll them choose to ignore anyway. I also have this bizarre habit of thinking 'I can cheat and eat shite if I do a few days of this healthy eating' but the whole time I know that I'm only cheating myself anyway and these thoughts are the reason I can't drop to a healthy weight and stay there.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

Where I really get what you're saying though is the thought process on food. I spend almost all day every day analysing what I've eaten and where I might need to be really strict for a few days not to gain weight, which I'll them choose to ignore anyway. I also have this bizarre habit of thinking 'I can cheat and eat shite if I do a few days of this healthy eating' but the whole time I know that I'm only cheating myself anyway and these thoughts are the reason I can't drop to a healthy weight and stay there.

Yeah, that's a killer. Often think I need a bloody shrink to sort my head out. It's a complete abandoning of willpower. It's not like you don't know what you're doing. You know it's wrong, you know you'll regret it and do it anyway. Thanks for replying, hope you get sorted yourself.

• Paid Members
On 9/23/2019 at 9:16 AM, quote the raven said:

The actual fuck..

i took most of the summer holidays off. That’s still a quite unacceptable weight gain. 

Only one way to go from here 

9B907CBE-0EDE-448C-9A14-E50FE83BAB6B.jpeg

2.2 kgs in 5 days going to push for 3 by the first week 

53676EE6-2049-458B-B46E-023044AF46F9.jpeg

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I'm having a real hard time finding my mojo at the moment. I've pretty much just yo-yo'd since March having lost 8 stone.

I have not followed the thread to well but thats a massive accomplishment. The will power and determination that would have taken is huge. 

Understandably once you got to your goal the burn out sets in. Also it must be hard to suddenly find yourself at your goal thats taken so much of time to get to.  

Maybe a short break and then back to it?

• Paid Members

So I'm four days into my redundancy and I'm already bored as fuck. I figure now is the time to attempt to get myself into decent shape while I job search. I'll be back in Ireland all next week for my sisters wedding so looking into starting up properly the week after.

I'm 19.5 stone as of yesterday and of average height so it's not like I carry it off well. I've signed upto a gym that has a pool, but beyond that I haven't a fucking clue where to start. Any ideas where to start for a total beginner? Cheers!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Wretch said:

So I'm four days into my redundancy and I'm already bored as fuck. I figure now is the time to attempt to get myself into decent shape while I job search. I'll be back in Ireland all next week for my sisters wedding so looking into starting up properly the week after.

I'm 19.5 stone as of yesterday and of average height so it's not like I carry it off well. I've signed upto a gym that has a pool, but beyond that I haven't a fucking clue where to start. Any ideas where to start for a total beginner? Cheers!

@CavemanLynn is probably best to advise here seeing as he is a PT

• Moderators

My elbow is still fucked but I'm not letting it stop me from exercising. It's incredibly frustrating and definitely won't be climbing again any time soon but I have worked hard to get a routine together that impacts it minimally. My trousers are now too tight in a completely different way - so many squats!

• Awards Moderator

I’ve finally got off my arse to get myself in shape, or at least try to. I fucked my leg up last year when I last tried to get fit - dislocated knee, double fracture and torn ligament - and ended up in a full brace for months so I wasn’t able to exercise. But even when that came off and I completed rehab physio I let myself go down the route of eating excessively and poorly, drinking way too much and letting my declining mental health keep me away from even attempting exercise.

I’ve piled the beef on and for a good 7-8 months have probably been living a deceptive life; I’m still going out, seeing friends and work’s keeping me busy but at home I’m a mess. Pretty much as soon I was getting in from work I was going to bed in a depressive heap but as my anxiety was keeping my brain too active, I’d end up necking a couple of bottles of wine just to knock me out. Then I’d wake up, hate myself for it and the daily cycle started again.

It took a bit of a kick up the arse from a good friend a few weeks ago to make me look at myself and do something to stop the cycle. I’ve been for a couple of runs to see how my knee/leg held up and it felt a bit sore, but instead of driving to Dundee in my bare feet, I signed up for a Personal Trainer. Not that I’m incapable of doing fitness stuff on my own, but I thought having someone to drive me and give me proper advice would keep me motivated, as well as being accountable to someone who knows what they’re doing.

I’m doing two sessions a week and so far they’ve been intense, but she’s helping me focus on my core strength and ensure my leg’s fully ready for some improvement. We’re doing boxing tomorrow to focus on the upper body then over the next month or so, she’s going to help tailor a routine I can then take home and follow without her direction.

I’ve also signed up for the gym in my building; I’m hoping the training will encourage me to go there as well, for swimming, running and cycling especially.

Like others have just said, this will all be useless if I keep eating like Mr. Creosote and drinking myself to sleep, but the positive mental state the sessions have put me in so far are encouraging and I’ve now got some clear goals in sight.

I’ve not made enough physical progress to mention, but like with the PT being involved, I wanted to put it in here so there are other people aware of my attempts as that’ll be another motivator to hopefully make as much improvement as others in here.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• 2 months later...