The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

Forgive me for over stepping if so, but maybe change your goal to getting a new job and eventually moving out of this hostile household that you constantly mention you live in? 

Why is your dad the way he is with you? You clearly don’t talk to each other much going off posts you make here, for all he knows you’re bad with money whilst having no job and you’re going out at 3am  every morning for 20 mile walks. Does he know you go for these walks? For all he knows you could be off doing something dodgy. 

• Paid Members

I think you’re missing a trick here Ralphy, and apologies if someone else has suggested the following. My advice is to seek some counselling, and I’d advise anyone, including myself to do the same, based on what you’ve disclosed. But in reality, they (wellbeing service) could benefit from you, just as much as you could from them. 

Why not turn your ability to walk fucking insane distances, in to a way to raise awareness and potentially funds for charity?

Seriously, look in to it. It’ll give you purpose for something you clearly enjoy doing, you’ll receive positive reinforcement and acceptance, which is clearly something you’re requiring based on what you’ve said and it’ll be in the company of people who can assist you to deal with your personal issues.

Check this out for example.

https://www.mind.org.uk/get-involved/donate-or-fundraise/take-on-an-active-challenge/trek-for-mind/

• Paid Members

Here’s, little update on what I’ve been doing.

I’m currently 14 stone. I’ve managed to stop hovering between it and 14.7 stone, which was my issue last month and I think I have a grasp on it now. I’ve never had too much bother shifting over the last year (down from 16’ish), 13 stone is my target but I want to build muscle simultaneously, so it’s a bloody fine balance I’ve never been familiar with.

Anyway, I’ve reverted back to Paleo in terms of diet. It’s worked for me in the past, it’s healthy, I can eat a lot and I manage to cut weight, which ticks the boxes.

In terms of exercise I’ve been boxing (since around Oct) once a week, circuits once a week (but that has ended due to numbers). But I’ve been hitting the gym twice a week, and I’ve set up a fitness program at work in which the team who run the circuits training (part of the Newcastle United charity) come to my place of work and run fitness sessions with a group of staff who struggle to keep fit, and have some social wellbeing issues.

Anyway, I’m feeling good physically, still have some work to do mentally, as do we all.

Newcastle United are running an awards event tonight. I’ve apparently been nominated for my efforts, so we’ll see how that goes.

Edit - oh, and well... I uppercut myself at boxing, which lead to an infection. Nice one dick head.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

You could easily raise enough money to pay a bunch of heavies to come round and intimidate your abusive dad into getting off your back for a bit.

Just to echo what someone else has said (and me in another thread) - you need to look at this from your dads point of view as well. Is he really genuinely abusive or just baffled? You don't have a job, you go out for no good reason in the middle of the night then you come home and gorge yourself on biscuits. He probably thinks you are selling drugs or have become a rent boy or something.

He would probably lay off if you made it obvious you were making a real consistent effort to get a job etc.

• Paid Members

Been super slack of late after more or less chopping my thumb off with a chop saw. I could have easily cut the intake down until exercise was possible. However I decided the best action was to consume massive amounts of sweets and watch box sets. The result is I’m now 19 , 3. I’m off a lot of the summer to care for my son so super early gym sessions are possible. I will report back as I get going. 

Ralphy as long as I’ve known you mate there has been beef with your dad. It’s probably time to seek proper  help. Does he have any idea the way you feel towards him? Is there any chance  you can both go to speak to someone? 

• Paid Members
On 7/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, Statto said:

Have my first event a week on Sunday, the Run Norwich 10k, so I'm deep into my training plan for that. Anything under an hour I'll be happy with, secretly hoping for 57 mins-ish.

57:51, if anyone’s interested.

• Paid Members

Smug twat, yeah... but I won an award, so fuck it, I’m owning it.

On 7/17/2019 at 9:12 AM, Kaz Hayashi said:

Newcastle United are running an awards event tonight. I’ve apparently been nominated for my efforts, so we’ll see how that goes.

D8E6FB49-3989-45EE-AB14-1CBD714AD3DE.thumb.jpeg.432f94a8edb99d974f17d87a0d7af437.jpeg

I’m very happy at the minute Id booked a skydive for dementia in September and wanted to get below 15 stone so 10 days ago I joined the gym and changed my diet.

1st official weigh in today and I’ve lost 8 pounds so understandably I’m delighted 

• Paid Members

I'm off now for the Summer (work in a school) and in attempt to not put on loads of weight whilst I sit around and do nothing. I've ordered some weights to keep busy and try and be the slightest bit productive. The thing is I haven't lifted since I was about 15 and that was wholly undisciplined. I'm now 36 and just fancy giving it a shot. Any tips for starting out? How many reps and what to start with first?

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DEF said:

I'm off now for the Summer (work in a school) and in attempt to not put on loads of weight whilst I sit around and do nothing. I've ordered some weights to keep busy and try and be the slightest bit productive. The thing is I haven't lifted since I was about 15 and that was wholly undisciplined. I'm now 36 and just fancy giving it a shot. Any tips for starting out? How many reps and what to start with first?

Im sure someone more qualified than me will be along but in the mean time. My rule of thumb was always start on 10 reps for 3 sets. Training different body parts on different days. Most importantly taking it nice and easy clean light reps are better than heavy bad form ones.  

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members

Cheers, am I right in thinking it's ideally about 90 seconds between sets? I seem to remember reading that but could be wrong.