The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

If your gym does it, I would really recommend Les Mills BodyAttack. I prefered it to BodyCombat and seen better results, which I put down to enjoying the class more.  

I've been doing BodyCombat for 3 weeks and I do quite like it. I would do BodyAttack but they only do classes in the middle of the day which doesn't help me. What's the difference?

4 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I've been doing BodyCombat for 3 weeks and I do quite like it. I would do BodyAttack but they only do classes in the middle of the day which doesn't help me. What's the difference?

That is similar to my gym except the BodyCombat classes are in the middle of the day and the BodyAttack class is at a more convenient time for myself. 

There isnt a great deal of difference, not as far as I can tell (haven't done a BodyCombat class for about 12 months so they may have changed) you do a lot of smilar moves in BodyAttack but in my opinon there seems to be a bigger emphasis on dance like moves - but do not let that put you off as I have as much rhythm/movement as an arthritic Crab and I have no issues doing them. As a pervious poster said the tracks used in the classes are rotated every quarter or so and chances are after a while you will notice moves that were used in BodyCombat coming into BodyAttack and vice versa.

Bodycombat - based on mixed martial arts, so moves are focused around punching, kneeing and kicking.

Bodyattack - more akin to "traditional" aerobics, so will step touch, step curl etc, but also includes breathing out of your backside elements like burpees, lunges, jumps to spike the heart rate. 

You may occasionally get the same/similar move in both, but they'll be fairly generic like a lunge or squat. Burpees are in bodyattack, modified sprawls are in bodycombat - essentially the same thing!

I no longer teach Bodyattack, and I notice that my cardio/stamina has suffered a little bit for it. Both are wicked workouts in their own way though.

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

Would either of you recommend the Les Mills app? A gym freak at work has been raving about it. 

I'd say it depends on how capable you are in pushing yourself to workout on your own. One of the benefits of group exercise is in the name - you're in a group and so unknowingly or unwittingly you end up pushing each other along. If you're able to replicate that at home, then go for it. However, if you're like me, I can't motivate myself at all to do stuff on my own; I know damn well that if I go to the gym (rather than a class) I'll half arse it for half an hour or so and then give up, then I'd stick to "live" classes. I think you can get a 10 or 30 day free trial if you sign up, so worst case scenario try it risk free for a bit. Just remember to cancel if it's not for you. 

• Paid Members

Two people in the gym changing room at lunch time. Me with my jelly baby physique that comes from losing so much weight so quickly, my bald head, greying beard, Primark pants and white everywhere except my arms that caught a bit of sun when we had summer for a weekend in April. And a young, slim built, muscly lad with an all over tan, white Calvin Klein boxers and a fantastic head of hair. Never felt so inadequate in my life!

• Paid Members

Finished the latest "season" of Man v Fat. My goal for this season was to get under 16 stone and by a couple of ball hairs, I've done it. 15stone 13.8lbs. (Starting point was 24stone 2lbs in March 2018).

Update on the veggies who've made it off the bathroom window sill and into various pots and baskets in the garden. Strawbs and peppers on the left, lettuce, carrots and potatoes on the right. There are more not pictures including a raspberry which is the only only grown from a plant rather than seeds. Got some huge squash plants still on the window sill, no idea what to do with them!

image.png.6905aac7845051c9a7fb3f8f2146ca01.png

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Got some huge squash plants still on the window sill, no idea what to do with them!

The flavour is quite sweet so pair it with bold, savoury flavours. Roasted is the way to go. 

Roast in the oven with sweet potatoes. Blitz with stock for soup. 

Roast in balsamic vinegar, serve with cheese and nuts. Add pasta if you're doing carbs. 

Slice into strips, sandwich white sauce / bolognese and bake like lasagne. 

Scatter it around a chicken while it roasts. 

Roast chunks with spices, serve in a taco / pitta with salad and yoghurt mixed with garlic. 

You can also grate / process it into tiny bits and treat it like rice with a curry etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Fell off my motorbike today while attempting to turn around on a pavement (quite normal here), the wheels slipped out on some wet carboard and i've done something to my knee. I'm guessing a slight hyper-extension. I can walk on it just about with some discomfort and it hasn't changed color or swollen up yet so i'm guessing it's not that serious. Anyone got any idea how long it might hurt for?

14 hours ago, simonworden said:

Fell off my motorbike today while attempting to turn around on a pavement (quite normal here), the wheels slipped out on some wet carboard and i've done something to my knee. I'm guessing a slight hyper-extension. I can walk on it just about with some discomfort and it hasn't changed color or swollen up yet so i'm guessing it's not that serious. Anyone got any idea how long it might hurt for?

I would recommend that you put on ice on it for at least 48hours even if the pain has diminished. Do you have any pain behind your knee? 

Obviously you know your body better than anyone but if is not causing you much discomfort then you should be fine after a few days. However, just be mindful of it becoming inflamed after you have done any type of prolonged cardio activity as that may mean a grade  sprain and could take around 4 weeks to heal. 

4 hours ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

I would recommend that you put on ice on it for at least 48hours even if the pain has diminished. Do you have any pain behind your knee? 

Obviously you know your body better than anyone but if is not causing you much discomfort then you should be fine after a few days. However, just be mindful of it becoming inflamed after you have done any type of prolonged cardio activity as that may mean a grade  sprain and could take around 4 weeks to heal. 

I dont think so, woke up today and I can feel the tendon (feels like a wire in my leg) is a bit sore and tweaking but no real pain behind. I certainly wont be doing any cardio for a while on it either. Thanks for info

• Awards Moderator
On 5/9/2019 at 1:52 PM, squatswithducks said:

I'd say it depends on how capable you are in pushing yourself to workout on your own. One of the benefits of group exercise is in the name - you're in a group and so unknowingly or unwittingly you end up pushing each other along. If you're able to replicate that at home, then go for it. However, if you're like me, I can't motivate myself at all to do stuff on my own; I know damn well that if I go to the gym (rather than a class) I'll half arse it for half an hour or so and then give up, then I'd stick to "live" classes. I think you can get a 10 or 30 day free trial if you sign up, so worst case scenario try it risk free for a bit. Just remember to cancel if it's not for you. 

I've been using the app and I've really enjoyed it. Even better the family has got involved, BodyCombat with son, Barre with daughter, SH'BAM with wife! 

2 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I've been using the app and I've really enjoyed it. Even better the family has got involved, BodyCombat with son, Barre with daughter, SH'BAM with wife! 

That's awesome to hear! There's a basic fear amongst Les Mills instructors that virtual will result in them losing their jobs so to speak. However it's really the opposite, Virtual is designed to tap into new participants, make them comfortable with combat or whatever, so that they're more likely to go to a live class because there's less of a fear of the unknown if that makes sense

• Awards Moderator
11 minutes ago, squatswithducks said:

That's awesome to hear! There's a basic fear amongst Les Mills instructors that virtual will result in them losing their jobs so to speak. However it's really the opposite, Virtual is designed to tap into new participants, make them comfortable with combat or whatever, so that they're more likely to go to a live class because there's less of a fear of the unknown if that makes sense

I get that, but the classes I've been to are "right, let's fucking go!" with no intro to what you're doing. The timings are tricky for me too so I either do the app or don't go at all!