The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

20190115_232941.jpg.584bb7e68061f624ddc0d241c578bef0.jpg

I gymmed. 

I was given a pretty tailored workout by a PT (I didn't ask for it, it just happened) who set up a routine of jogging, weights and floor exercises for me. I wouldn't have chosen to do weights - I thought those were for posey types just looking to get meaty (prejudice all mine), or for fit people looking to tone up. But she explained that the building of muscle forces you to work harder to burn energy. Good tip. She left all the exercises on my own sheet for me to tick off each time. 

I nearly enjoyed it. Just need to make it routine... 

Good stuff, pal. Gutted that you don't look like Steve Austin though.

I do weights at the gym for toning. It does make you feel like a dick standing amongst all these knobheads slinging tons into the air doing twenty reps of 20kg or something.

Lost 1.2kg this week. Gutted after the effort I went to. Trying to convince myself it's all my muscles outweighing the loss!

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I gymmed. 

I was given a pretty tailored workout by a PT (I didn't ask for it, it just happened) who set up a routine of jogging, weights and floor exercises for me. I wouldn't have chosen to do weights - I thought those were for posey types just looking to get meaty (prejudice all mine), or for fit people looking to tone up. But she explained that the building of muscle forces you to work harder to burn energy. Good tip. She left all the exercises on my own sheet for me to tick off each time. 

I nearly enjoyed it. Just need to make it routine... 

Are you seeing a PT regularly or was it just an induction thing? If you've got the cash I'd recommend 1 session with one a week. I've been going to the gym regularly for a while but only started with a PT last November & the difference is staggering if only just for motivation & removing the excuses not to go. I booked myself in for 8am every Sunday with him & it stopped me from drinking on Sat nights as I knew even a couple of drinks would make the session unbearable.

Can’t remember if we have an general illness thread so I’ll whack it in here. 

You know when you’re sleeping and you dream of weeing because that’s your subconscious telling you you need a wee in real life. Well last night I nearly didn’t make it. Was actually pissing on the run to the loo, when I woke up.

At 34, I’m far too young to be incontinent, and I hadn’t had a lot of fluids to drink before bed, so was wondering whether anyone had any advice on what it could be? 

I will say that I do have a fairly weak bladder and have always had terrible “dribble willy”, when you think you’re done and it just comes dribbling out again. 

Really not up for bed wetting in my 30s...only stopped in my 20s

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, Dead Mike said:

Are you seeing a PT regularly or was it just an induction thing? If you've got the cash I'd recommend 1 session with one a week. I've been going to the gym regularly for a while but only started with a PT last November & the difference is staggering if only just for motivation & removing the excuses not to go. I booked myself in for 8am every Sunday with him & it stopped me from drinking on Sat nights as I knew even a couple of drinks would make the session unbearable.

It wasn't planned. I was expecting an induction session of "there's the machines. There's the fire exit" then be left alone but it was a properly moderated session.

She also concluded the session by asking her to review after 7 weeks. So it's kinda built in. I will see how I go on my own and see.

A guy I work with is also an ex-PT so he'll be grilling me thoroughly!

• Paid Members
On 1/15/2019 at 3:28 PM, Onyx2 said:

I've got one of these microwave omeletters and with a bit of practice churns out really nice omelettes (low heat, flip during cooking). I add all sorts of veg to mine.

Thanks for recommending this - I ordered one for work as I've been relying on pasta dishes too much and wanted a change. It arrived this morning and I just tested it out with a little milk, peppers and ham. Came out a treat and only took 4 minutes!

• Paid Members
On 1/16/2019 at 1:37 PM, SuperBacon said:

You know when you’re sleeping and you dream of weeing because that’s your subconscious telling you you need a wee in real life. Well last night I nearly didn’t make it. Was actually pissing on the run to the loo, when I woke up.

At 34, I’m far too young to be incontinent, and I hadn’t had a lot of fluids to drink before bed, so was wondering whether anyone had any advice on what it could be? 

I will say that I do have a fairly weak bladder and have always had terrible “dribble willy”, when you think you’re done and it just comes dribbling out again. 

You ever tried doing kegels? 

I have what I'd consider a week bladder too. Can't usually get through the night without peeing atleast once. Kegels do help though. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Thanks for recommending this - I ordered one for work as I've been relying on pasta dishes too much and wanted a change. It arrived this morning and I just tested it out with a little milk, peppers and ham. Came out a treat and only took 4 minutes!

Great! 

I never bother with milk, but you have to watch it carefully with a more firm mix.

I cook small things in the container first, such as a few rounds of spring onion, a sliced rasher of bacon, or diced pepper, then add the egg once the other ingredients have softened in the microwave. I get best results when I put the microwave on 50% and flip the box over every minute. 

• Paid Members

@Onyx2 Yeah, that's pretty similar to what I did actually. Cooked the peppers, onion and ham for a minute, added the egg, cooked for two minutes then turned over and cooked for one more minute. Microwave was on full power though so I'll definitely give it a try on 50% and see how it comes out.

It's a life-saver for days when I'm too busy to faff around.

• Paid Members

I've kind of made a conscious decision that I'm going to bit have a massive supper right before bed anymore. I'm trying to get out of eating after 8pm.i can't say I'm eating any healthier, just that I'm eating less. I've got an appointment to get my CPAP machine serviced this coming Tuesday so can have will get weighed at the hospital. Last time I weighed myself I was about 137kg (around 300lbs). People have commented that I look like I've lost weight, but I think I may have actually been building little bits of muscle due to my warehouse job as my other half has been commenting about my having muscles when she hadn't previously. I guess I'll find out Tuesday. It'd be nice if I could get down to about 210lbs (90ish KG) again like I was at the height of my DDP Yoga powers. 

After putting on a pair of trousers that must have "shrank in the wash". I've been to the gym this afternoon and I was bollocksed after 20 odd minutes on the rowing machine. I then went on to try one rep maxes, I was really happy with my 170kg squat, but 45kg bench was fucking weak sauce.

I also weighed myself in the first time in ages and I have put on a couple of stone and I am just shy of 18 stone, which isn't great. Considering my lowest was around 15 stone and I have bingo wings, which weren't there before.

• Paid Members
On 1/16/2019 at 1:37 PM, SuperBacon said:

Might be what you’re drinking in general. This happened to me at least once a fortnight. When I packed in the booze and sugary drinks, it completely stopped.

Also, after a piss, I dab with tissue these days (if at proper bog). Nowt worse than damp patch in your boxers due to a little post dribble. Fucking awful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Approaching Feb, how’s everyone doing in general? 

I’ve had a really positive month. Managed to properly & healthily shift 14lbs since Jan 1st. 

I’ve got another 14lbs to go to reach my current target weight. I’ve set Easter as the goal for this, so we’ll see how it goes.

• Paid Members

Down 7lbs since Christmas without doing too much, just been going to the gym 2/3 times a week. Have certainly toned up in muscle terms a bit more too,  so hoping to continue gradually doing that until the summer and hopefully it'll all work out well. Not got a set goal in mind, but continued improved health and fitness is all good!