The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm back in the gym Wednesday. Fucking disaster the past couple of months, I've lost a stone of muscle, eaten my own body weight in cheese, drank too much and taken up smoking again. Just need to take up intravenous drugs to get the whole set.

Think the first step will be to sort my cardio out before I hit the weights heavy again. I know one trip on a treadmill where I realise how much the fags have ruined my cardio will make me pack them in for the most part. Plus I want to get in half marathon shape again by midsummer.

I tend to do this though. I'll be diligent for 8 months then act like 1980's John Belushi for the rest of the year.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Gus Mears said:

Think the first step will be to sort my cardio out before I hit the weights heavy again.

I tend to do this though. I'll be diligent for 8 months then act like 1980's John Belushi for the rest of the year.

I hear you mate. I had a horrific start to December, stoped going to circuits, stopped walking to work every day and ate crisps & chocolate. The 10lbs I’d lost over Oct/Nov has found its way back so quickly. So on the lead up to Xmas I was back on form with eating healthily & walking more, but I’ve been shit since Xmas. Need to sort it out again, I feel stupidly tired and grim.

• Paid Members

I've had a funny couple of weeks. Been back at the gym after an enforced break due to my missus being ill and also done a couple of runs to build up to my first 5k park run on Tuesday.

Unfortunately the house is full of chocolate and sweets and I've eaten all sorts of shite. Don't think I've put on more than a couple of pounds but angry with myself anyway.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

i had a goal in mind of walking a total of 50 miles in 7 days starting last Sunday, as of right now i have managed to walk 78 miles total since Sunday, surpassing it by 28 miles, i am pretty pleased with that figure

So you're saying you had set a figure, and then at a later date you upped that figure to a higher one?  Joking aside that's a very impressive distance!

😁

Edited by mim731
Seemed a bit mean

• Paid Members

I must say @tiger_rick I’m highly impressed by what you’ve accomplished. I packed booze in altogether in July. I swapped tabs for a vape 3 years ago and managed to throw that away a month ago. I started eating better and walking loads, since around August. I then started doing circuits on a Wednesday, and accompanied that with a man vs fat group on a Thursday throughout September until start of Dec.

Since properly starting the exercise side of things, I dropped about 12lbs. The classes have stopped until new year and I’ve put all the weight back on as mentioned a few posts back. I’ve kept off the beer, i don’t drink sugary drinks but my downfall is picking on at crisps and choc over Xmas. I’ve not been keeping on top of what I’ve been eating, but I have to say, it’s not been horrific (no takeaways or anything in that category). More bread than usual though.

In 2-3 weeks I’ve put it all back on. I’m really concerned by this. Nearly a stone on in 2-3 weeks is fucking ludicrous considering I haven’t been smashing it. I haven’t been an angel but absolutely no way shape or form should I have put that much back on.

Does anyone have any ideas about why such a dramatic increase? Is it worth getting tested for anything, or does anyone have suggestions for healthily tampering with metabolism? 

I haven’t lost the motivation just yet, but fuck me im getting close.

• Paid Members

I usually stay around the same weight all year but I definitely notice I put some weight on if I go through a phase of eating a lot of bread. I don’t know if it’s the same for everyone or just certain people/body types but bread is the one thing that really seems to put weight on me. 

Like Rick says, Kaz, it’s always going to happen at this time of year. And while it sounds a lot to put on in such a short time, if you get back to what you were doing before you’ll probably find it will come off again pretty much just as quick. 

• Paid Members

Did my first ever 5k yesterday. mentioned to a friend last week that despite the weight loss, I still can't run. Ended up doing a 3k last week as a trial, 4k on Sunday morning and got roped into entering a 5k yesterday. I finished and only stopped once but it wasn't a flat course and it hurt. Then walked to and from the football yesterday afternoon. Another 7 miles.

Legs in bits this morning.

• Paid Members

Had a fucking shite December that had me cancelling my gym memberhsip to save money and resulted in some comfort eating (though that has been greatly encouraged by all the Crimbo grub and treats around the house), thus I've had no gym, plenty of junk food and put back on some flab.

Obviously, it's a crap excuse as the logical thing would've been to just go running outside instead and be more vigilant in terms of what was going in my gob. Either way, I feel I've really undone the hard work and progress. Will hopefully be back on the treadmill by next week and I'll start a few steps back to ease my way back into it again.