The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

What have you replaced your food sources with out of interest? My diet has been especially bad for a while now and it's not really been that varied since I was a kid, so I find it difficult replacing certain items.Ā 

Anyone have any experience with swimming-based workouts? Thinking of signing up for a monthly swimming pass as opposed to gym and swim, wondering if it's worth the effort without the gym element?Ā 

For fizzy drinks and alcohol, I've just swapped it for still/sparkling water. It's all I drink on weekdays, apart from black coffee (which took a while to get used as I was always a milk+two sugars guy, but now I really appreciate the taste). On a weekend I'll allow myself to have some beers or something else other than waterĀ but I try not to. Honestly, there's not many drinks out there that beat an ice cold sparking water so it isn't all bad. It does mean that my tolerance for alcohol has decreased; I had 5 beers last night and you would've thought I'd sunk 10 pints by the way I felt in theĀ morning.

Stuff like crisps and sugary snacks is just a plain swap for fruit and veg. Mainly bananas, grapes and tangerines, and I'll stuff my lunch with red peppers, cucumber and beet root. It's just experimenting with different food, you'll eventually find stuff that you like. It won't beat a packet of McCoys or pastie, but that's part of the self-discipline.

I used to eat sandwiches every day for work, so I just stopped buying bread to cut down on it. Lunch will be a salad, last night's dinner or, if I haven't prepped ahead, I'll grab a freshly madeĀ vegan/veggie dish from Sainsburys. They about 2 quid and are dead nice. Oh, on the subject of dinner, one of my old habits was always grabbing seconds. I cut out that habit by waiting 5 or so minutes after I'd eaten to see if I was still hungry. Most of the times, the food settles and I feel full, so not only will I have tomorrows lunch sorted, I'll save cash and calories.

Cheese is my Achilles heel though. It always there, stalking me. I'm trying really heard with it though. I won't have it sprinkled on my Spag Bol, i won't have it in my salads and I won't include it when I throw together some fajitas or burritos, but there are some dishes where it's always there. Friday is typically a treat day, so it's a pizza or enchiladas usually, but again, it's moderation.

One way I easily found variation was buying healthy eating cook book and committing myself to trying out two recipes per week. I found loads of new meals and snacks that made lifeĀ  much easier. Be open to new foods and ideas too, no matter how weird or unfulfilling it sounds.Ā That and my missus is also a wizard in the kitchen and she's being a greatĀ positive source of encouragement during all this.Ā 

Remember, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Go for broke during the week but relax the rules a little during the weekend. I had a bacon sarnie and KFC today but I'm making up for it by trying my first 40 minute run tomorrow morning. Stuff like that is going to hinder my progress and I'm sure any dietitian or personal trainer would scoff at what I've typed here but I know I'm not a perfect human so I allow myself space to make mistakes.

• Paid Members

Iā€™ve gone 6 weeks without alcohol. Iā€™m treating myself this wrestling weekendĀ with some 0% alcohol free lager. Hmm. Also, I have a pedometer and Iā€™m walking between 11,000 - 18,000 steps a day, which is good. Started doing circuits too. Fucking solid.

Ā 

25A2BF16-265C-4E13-ADBA-11D1CDB7DD13.jpeg

• Paid Members

Well this is as of today so far so times that by two as a low average. My walk to work is approx 4000 steps, itā€™s the same back, so thatā€™s 8000, milling about at work (office job) is around 2000, so thatā€™s 10,000, and we usually take the nipper out so that can range from 2000 upwards as a rule of thumb.

Iā€™m getting through podcasts a bit fucking quickly mind.

The circuits is solid, just doing once a week at the moment until my knee adjusts.Ā I pretty much had to give up on sport after knee surgery so I plonked on some beef. Fed up now and found this fit bit on the floor of aĀ pub. Sorted.

Eating healthily, all meals cooked from fresh, and watching the calories/carbs etc.

However, Iā€™ve lost a total of fuck all pounds in over a month, so Iā€™m a bit gutted. I assume Iā€™m turning some of it in to muscle, I wish it was bloody visible though.

2D0A9332-41A5-43A7-9278-3DC08F803932.jpeg

131D25A3-61FB-465E-A7DB-257B0862C226.jpeg

• Paid Members

Not sure this is quite the thread for this but as many of you know, I don't drink anymore. Maybe once a year, when my partner is away, I will get together with a mate and have a bit of a session, but that's it and I usually need several days recovery time following that. Other than that, my alcohol intake is zero.

We went to a vegan pizza place in Camden on Friday for my friend's fiance's birthday. I fancied a non-alcoholic beer, checked the menu and saw a BrewDog beer called Nanny State being advertised as alcohol-free (they only sold BrewDog - this is Camden, after all). So, I drink my non-alcoholic beer and for some reason feel a little tipsy. How could that be? Non-alcoholic beers have 0.05% ABV. You'd have to drink 40 of the fuckers just to get a mild buzz going. So I check the bottle, it's 0.5% alcohol. OK, still not very alcoholic, but still alcoholic!Ā 

I didn't think to complain that their menu was advertising this beer as non-alcoholic, but imagine if someone who had had a serious, physical dependency on alcohol went in there and ordered their "non-alcoholic" beer? Could throw them right off the wagon. Fuckers. Fuck you, vegan pizza place and fuck you, too, BrewDog.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You are an angry young man, aren't you! Every little annoyance seems to get you wound right up...

Yeah, it's another area I'm working on in therapy.

Somehow I'm both full of ambivalence and anger at the same time. My therapist reckons I'm "fascinating." I felt weirdly proud when he said that.

Although I don't think I'm an angry person in general. Certain things might make me irrationally angry sometimes but most of my anger is directed at shit everybody should be angry at like Brexit and for-profit prisons. Day to day, unless I happen to be having a discussion about an ISSUE that makes me angry, I'm actually quite laid back. Laid back isn't even the word for it. I'm almost completely disengaged from the world around me, day to day, to the point where it's most likely a psychological issue.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Iā€™ll be honest @SpursRiot2012Ā iā€™d Suggest itā€™s your bodies intolerance rather than it being the beer itself. Nanny State is fucking aweful in fairness, but our law is pretty clear in that it can be called alcohol free if itā€™s up to 0.5%.

Best to just check the label mate, they all state the ABV.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Iā€™ll be honest @SpursRiot2012Ā iā€™d Suggest itā€™s your bodies intolerance rather than it being the beer itself. Nanny State is fucking aweful in fairness, but our law is pretty clear in that it can be called alcohol free if itā€™s up to 0.5%.

Best to just check the label mate, they all state the ABV.

Fair enough. My experience with non-alcoholic beers extends only as far as Beck's Blue, which I don't really like, and a Polish one that I cant remember the name of that I really like. I was under the (I see now, false) impression that all non-alcoholic beers were 0.05% ABV.

Oh, and yeah, Nanny State was not nice.

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

The one Iā€™m holding on the previous page is 0.0%, generic lager but canny enough. Thereā€™s a brewery in London that only make noneĀ alcoholic beer too, might be worth checking them out. They experiment as much as a typical craft, so thereā€™s bound to be something that suits your buds.

https://www.nirvanabrewery.com/

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

• Paid Members
On 8/19/2018 at 10:56 PM, Accident Prone said:

Remember, all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Go for broke during the week but relax the rules a little during the weekend. I had a bacon sarnie and KFC today but I'm making up for it by trying my first 40 minute run tomorrow morning. Stuff like that is going to hinder my progress and I'm sure any dietitian or personal trainer would scoff at what I've typed here but I know I'm not a perfect human so I allow myself space to make mistakes.

I'm absolutely here to brag that I fucking did and feel amazing considering thatĀ three months ago I could barely wobble a minute without collapsing.

• Paid Members

The first few weeks are awful. I couldĀ barely pump the pedals whilst driving and stairs were a chore, but like most activities this fades away with repetition and time. Now I barely get any soreness unless I really push myself or I just have a bad time of things.

I had the same thing when I started riding a bike to work a few years back; my arse and taint was in tatters for fucking ages before I started to get used to the saddle, and took a good month or so before it faded away. I remember the first time I rode over a pebbly stretch of pavement; I was scared to even fart afterwards for fear of sending my achy undercarriage rippling with pain.

Edited by Accident Prone

• 2 months later...

Yeah cycling is hard. Your body isn't trained for the type of work a fairly explosive cycle will put it through. Walking is completely different and while you probably have the cardio stamina built from that it doesn't mean your muscles won't ache like fuck from doing a more/different challenging exercise. Similar to how you can see guys squat 200kg but can't do a clean sit up.

I've found if you get out of practice of cycling when you get back to it, it's killer. Used to cycle everyday years ago then got a car. Had a year of doing it leisurely before hernia surgery and now anytime I do it I feel fucking knackered. Might be the cheap Chinese made bikes we get loaned on holiday though, having a good bike makes a shit load of difference.