The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Finbar said:

It'll probably be B3/niacin which can cause increased blood flow to the capillaries near the skin, often coupled with an itching or tingling sensation. Look up 'niacin flushing' for more information, it's harmless but can be uncomfortable. 

Thank you, I have had a read and I think it is this. I'll take a trip to the chemist tomorrow lunchtime to see if they can help. 

• Paid Members

Every day that I work - and only when I work, at a desk job - and usually during the bus ride home and into my evening, the left side of my collarbone aches like hell. I'm trying to work out what might be the cause of this. It's so consistent that I'm thinking it has to be some type of repetitive strain injury or something from work, even though I'm right-handed. Or is it just that I'm old now and stuff hurts and it's normal?

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Have you got an occupational health/health and safety person at work? It sounds like it might be to do with the position of your chair/workstation, and they should be able to help.

No. I also don't think there are real payroll people or "offsite researchers" either. The whole thing seems like a bit of a spinning plates situation that might come crashing down at any time.

You're probably right about the desk, though.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Using a vertical mouse made a lot of difference for me. But seeing as it's your left hand probably won't have much impact.

I use a vertical, ergonomic mouse at my home desk. I like them a lot.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Which one do you use? I've tried a couple different ones now. Currently have the Sharkk wireless. It's good, and the forward and back buttons are really nicely placed for binding when gaming.

Mine is nothing fancy but seems to work well enough.

Screenshot_20180704-225117.png

• Moderators

Oh wait, actually I think I was getting mixed up and that is the one I have! Yeah.. It's nothing super fancy or expensive but it works well and like I said the extra buttons are well placed.

The first one I ever had was a fancy expensive Evoluent one years ago that I got free from work. That was pretty luxurious, but wired and it eventually died.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Awards Moderator

After your discussion I just googled and found this one. I get a pain along where my thumb and index finger join and wondered if a different mouse would help. Gonna order one!

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

any else have issues with appetite despite being active? i walk a lot and do some weight training here and there, but i never get hungry after working out, infact, i get hungrier if i don't exercise, i don't understand! 

i am underweight by around 6lbs so trying to put weight on, but i just have little appetite and forcing food is no fun 

i am 7 stone 9 but i should be at least 8 stone 3

I struggle with my appetite too, at least when it comes to gaining weight. If I have a bad night of sleep (which I do a lot), or have a beer or two, my appetite goes to shit and any gym work becomes 50% redundant for the purposes I want. Doesn't help that I can't eat breakfast for a good 90 mins after waking up.

You on shakes at all, Ralphy? With a few ingredients and a blender, you can pack in 1,000 calories or so (plus a load of protein), which really helps me when I simply don't want to force stuff down and feel bloated.

• Paid Members

Yeah, looking at the dietary/stomach problems, it is always going to be a bit of a mare for you I would imagine. Have you seen a nutritionist before? Not sure if you can get a referral via the doctors, but may be worth a look, as they will be far better than someone like me in being able to work around the limitations of what you can eat. 

The sleep (or lack thereof) definitely doesn't help, but easier said than done resolving it!

Edited by Gus Mears