The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

Big believer in the suppositories. The cream did nothing at all for me, but two pills up the bum every day did the job grand. The pain wasn't too bad for me but dear God the itching.

I've tried all the different makes of creams and suppositories I could get my hands on over the last few weeks, but no joy. The only positive side has been a big laugh courtesy of a woman at work who referred to Anusol as "Ahhn-a-sol" because she didn't want to say the word "anus". 

Like I say, I've had doctors shove stuff up my hoop many a time so there's no embarrassment on my part. I just feel bad for the unfortunate sod who has to do it. Ta for the encouragement though, I'll go to the walk-in on Monday morning. I've got a 6 hour job interview at the end of next week so I could do with something to take the edge off before that comes around!

• Paid Members
On 6/4/2018 at 10:22 AM, Ralphy said:

@CAREBEAR LUVVA 

Can anyone suggest the best functional upper body only strength exercises for me to do using a barbell? i do deadlifts, squats, rows, shoulder press and bench press

Also, what are generally the best dumbell exercises to do in general for each body part?

There's not a whole lot you need to add to that. An incline press if you're not already doing them, and barbell skull crushers and French/reverse curl if you want extra triceps.

Upward rows to get a bit more on your shoulders.

Bicep curl, although I'm guessing you're already bicepping with dumbbells.

Yeah I was vaccinated but the BGC or whatever it's called is 70% effective. If you're in the 30% there is still only a slim chance you'll get it. What is likely is it stays in my system and due to other health problems I've had recently, my immune system couldn't cope and it was able to kick back in. 

• Paid Members

My old man had a stroke a couple of weeks back. He got back from hospital a couple of days ago and appears to be on the mend, which is great. His speech is still a bit slurred and he's getting quite frustrated at not being able to communicate as well as he'd like (though it has still improved massively from when it initially happened). He isn't taking reassurances from friends/family very well. He's a stubborn old git at the best of times so in a way he's being his old self! 

Has anyone had any relatives that have suffered a stroke before and can share any tips on how best comfort/reassure them without sounding condescending, but also any extra tips that can be shared in terms of helping to improve the speech over time which may be useful? 

12 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I was vaccinated but the BGC or whatever it's called is 70% effective. If you're in the 30% there is still only a slim chance you'll get it. What is likely is it stays in my system and due to other health problems I've had recently, my immune system couldn't cope and it was able to kick back in. 

You may have to knock shagging badgers on the head for a bit as well, Keith.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I was given some high strength B vitamins 4/6 weeks back and recently (past 2 weeks or so) my hands and feet have been itching intensely. There's no rash or blemishes I can see. 

Is it possible they can be connected or is the timing just coincidence? 

It'll probably be B3/niacin which can cause increased blood flow to the capillaries near the skin, often coupled with an itching or tingling sensation. Look up 'niacin flushing' for more information, it's harmless but can be uncomfortable.