The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

I can't not taste the peas.  Vanilla mushy peas.  Not a great taste combination for me.

I haven't gotten that thankfully. Apparently fresh fruit and stuff like that helps but I've not had an issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

How is your weightlifting going, Ralphy?

I packed it in doing the Huel thing. It was depressingly tasteless after a while of getting used to it and I wasn't enjoying it at all. I moved to Slim Fast, which is the same ball park but more tried and tested and it's worked so far. 3 weeks or so it's been and I'm 9lbs down and thanks to it not tasting like a health drink, it's much more stomachable.
I'm still at 19st which means I've still a way to go.

Ideally you want to loosen your hip flexors, stretch out your lower back (lying cobra, revolved crescent lunge), stretch out your groin/adductors (static seated groin stretch) and stretch out your quads/calves/hammy's with the sort of basic stretches you'd have done as a kid in PE.

I'd keep those static stretches for after your run though.

Beforehand, I'd stick to dynamic movements like walking lunges, squats, squat jumps etc to warm up your joints and get the blood flowing.

In general, though, the soreness will decrease as you crack on. One of the main reasons I think I stopped trying to drop the weight over the past few years was getting a serious batch of muscle soreness and mistaking it for pain and so stopping altogether.

-------

An update from me, since last May 13th I've gone from 19st to just under 13 stone. Today I trap bar deadlifted 110kg, despite a history of serious back issues. I've gotten very good at training round issues, mixing my training up, and adding in long distance walks (which really help break up scar tissue around my hips, pelvis and lower back) and some DDP yoga (which despite the hype is a very good workout for mobility and flexibility. It's not a cardio workout, though, regardless of what they say).

Feel great. A little bit beat up at times, from the volume of training but even compared to when I was younger and super fit I know my body way more. The reason I got injured in the first place was I never varied my training, and I never worked round issues, I just bulldozed through.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

In general, weights work better before cardio. Cardio can drain your CNS and weaken your core, which can put you in some pretty sketchy positions, particularly if you’re doing any heavy lifts.

If I was you, I’d do 10 mins of dynamic warm-ups, weights and then running/cardio.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a simple biological response to exercise, with your body releasing endorphins as you exercise. Eventually, after finishing, that subsides.

Don't con yourself into thinking that working out more, or twice a day, will extend it. You'll just damage your CNS and end up feeling down and far worst.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

does anyone know why, after doing weights and or jogging, i generally feel better, but it only lasts for maybe a few hours tops before i feel awful again?

Its frustrating to feel good like that and then it just go away so soon!

anyways i can keep the "high" longer after a workout?

Endorphins are the answer. Basically happy pills that get secreted by your pituitary gland when you do exercise. Afraid there isn't any way to keep the buzz longer. 

Edit: Daz beat me to it. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

It's a simple biological response to exercise, with your body releasing endorphins as you exercise. Eventually, after finishing, that subsides.

Don't con yourself into thinking that working out more, or twice a day, will extend it. You'll just damage your CNS and end up feeling down and far worst.

tenor.gif?itemid=5729101

7 hours ago, Ralphy said:

does anyone know why, after doing weights and or jogging, i generally feel better, but it only lasts for maybe a few hours tops before i feel awful again

It's known as The Runners High and is one of the reasons exercise is always great for mental health.  Lately, my physical health is declining, I sometimes can't even walk for 5 minutes without being so out of breath I throw up.  I've also got a good size lump in my armpit so going for an ultrasound to see what it is.  Pretty sure the two are linked and I'm run down due to some virus or other.

Over the last 2 weeks I’ve started getting into running. Done 5 runs now, the longest being 7 miles, and today I signed up for my first 10k on a whim. Completed it in 47’51, which with only 2 weeks training I’ll take. Beat a lot of decent looking runners with all the gear and that, so yeah pretty happy.

Might dial in the weights/HIIT for a bit and focus on running and DDPY. My competitive side really enjoyed the race format.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
On 21/04/2018 at 1:28 PM, d-d-d-dAz said:

Over the last 2 weeks I’ve started getting into running. Done 5 runs now, the longest being 7 miles, and today I signed up for my first 10k on a whim. Completed it in 47’51, which with only 2 weeks training I’ll take. Beat a lot of decent looking runners with all the gear and that, so yeah pretty happy.

Might dial in the weights/HIIT for a bit and focus on running and DDPY. My competitive side really enjoyed the race format.

Daz, for two weeks training that is a superb time. Good work! If you're doing 10k in that sort of time, I'd definitely look at some longer distances. The half marathon is a really nice length if you're into your running. Challenging, but not oppressively so.