The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

I genuinely started crying after hearing all the kind words and advice off people, thank you everyone, I am going to the doctors next week and get them to refer me to Slimming World, I walked 8 miles today and bought fruit to eat instead of sweet things, I know there is sugar is fruits, I ate grapes, bananas and raspberries, still bloody hungry lol.

I will have a look at the cookery thread but thank you Monkee for the slimming world recommendation and also reassuring me about a gastric band as I googled gastric band complications and scared me a bit but if I got to do it I got to do it.

I either have to lose weight or end up dying, being told you are highly likely to have a stroke at 33 is very scary and makes you realize how vulnerable we really are, thank you everyone.

• Paid Members

There will always be risks with any kind of surgery and everyone’s different with recovery and management. Baby steps.

As I said, with Slimming World you should never be hungry. You can eat as much fruit, veg, potatoes, pasta, rice and [lean] meat/fish as you want (depending on how it’s cooked) so, in theory, you could munch all day on those things and still lose weight.

If you want to chat further about the band or Slimming World then just drop me a DM. I can scan in some SW pages if you want to have a closer look. Speaking to your GP about it is good though as you might be able to get a referral but even if you can’t it’s just £5 a week and you’ll probably save more than that by buying different food anyway.

By the way, I highly recommend getting the BBQ chicken ready meal from Iceland (they’re currently 2 for £5), get a couple of peppers and some wraps and you’ve got some amazing fajitas! I think it’s 6mins in the microwave, slice the peppers and stick it all in a wrap. Boom. For a treat, add some grated low fat cheese to the mix. Double boom. Men get 25 Syns a day - the only thing you have to ‘count’ is the wrap (2 syns I think) and the cheese if you add it (depends on amount).

Edited by Monkee

The other thing about Slimming World and groups of that nature is exactly that, a group.  It's so difficult to quit things or get started on your own, with a group, you'll be with people who have the same goal as yourself and you'll probably make a few new friends along the way.  The mutual support from groups may not be for everyone, but if you view it as a social club, it won't be just your weight it will be helping, it'll help your confidence and your mental wellbeing as well!

• Paid Members

It seems that you're not actually having any fun during the exercise, and something about your diet is disagreeing with your stomach. Try adjusting what you eat and try to enjoy the workout a bit more. You'll probably need to provide more details in regards to make up of your workout and what you are trying to achieve.

• Paid Members

@Ralphy how long have you been doing this?

My personal thoughts are that 1.45 is 45 mins too long. Everyone will have different approaches but I’d personally recommend 1 hour as a rule of thumb. It could simply be that your body isn’t ready for the length of time you are in there.

Firstly, you must make sure you are fully stretching and warming up, and down, especially if it’s relatively new. Seriously try doing 20 mins of yoga before you go. 

Also, do you focus on a particular area when in the gym? for example day 1 cardio, day 2 upper body work out, Day 3 lower body work out? I’d advise doing something along those lines, rather than loads of everything each day.

Food is another key. Maybe try looking to substitute the porridge and drop the coffee. Again, although this works for some people, it won’t for everyone and a high dose of caffeine before a work out did nothing positive for me, other than made me need a shit. It can pose as a natural laxative for a lot of people, but depending on what else you’ve digested, may simply give you a bit of gut ache. 

Dont change everything at once or you won’t find out the cause. I’d suggest you focus on getting the work out routine sorted first, then possibly drop the caffeine before changing foods around.

It’s key to remember everyone is very different in terms of digestion, let alone additional trauma to your body from overly long work outs.

• Paid Members

Less is more, Ralphy. Not surprised you feel like shite if you're trying to cram all of that in one workout. Know you don't want to go more than 3 times per week, but really think doing 4 sessions, maybe a couple of designated strength and a couple of designated cardio, would be a lot better. I eat raw oats and milk prior to a workout, and it works for me. But if it doesn't for you, just try something else. Some wholemeal toast with fruit on the side maybe? Definitely give cutting out dairy and caffeine prior to a workout a go and see if that improves your stomach. 

How is your diet otherwise if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I generally eat breakfast at about 9AM, have a piece of fruit at about 11 and get to the gym for 12 (take an extended lunch and do it at work). If you're anything like me, the early morning thing might be why you don't feel great. I basically can't eat an hour after waking up and am utterly useless if I try and do any gym work shortly after waking. I would want to wait at least an hour after eating anything like oats, but I have quite a sensitive stomach. 

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Stavo's spot on there with pacing and with regards to first thing in the morning workouts. It all depends on the person and if you feel you aren't responding as you'd like, then try timing it similar to Gus there. I'm doing first thing workouts for the last few years now, 6 days a week, and it's still very hard to do, but I find I respond better to early morning workouts with regards to fat loss and body recomping so that's why I'm sticking with it, even though I'd much prefer to go from 7pm to 8pm or something like that, but my work/home life doesn't allow for that so I have to go first FIRST thing in the morning.

I get up at 0530, take a GDA (it's a nutrient shuffler, essentially) and then 15 minutes later take 50grams of carbs (Karbolyn) with some Agmatine and Citrulline (the latter two mainly just for pump and aesthetic reasons as I can't take creatine) and then wait a 45 minutes to an hour to workout. 

Training fasted is an awful cunt. I do it for a month in summer on a cut or when I'm about to go away on holidays, but my strength and energy levels drop drastically and it really isn't something I personally think you should do on a constant basis, but in saying that, every body is different, and it really is all trial and error until you find out what works for you. If you're looking into fasted training first thing, you should look at sipping on a BCAA supplement like Xtend Raw intra workout too. It really does help and isn't just a gimmick.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Stavo's spot on there with pacing and with regards to first thing in the morning workouts. It all depends on the person and if you feel you aren't responding as you'd like, then try timing it similar to Gus there. I'm doing first thing workouts for the last few years now, 6 days a week, and it's still very hard to do, but I find I respond better to early morning workouts with regards to fat loss and body recomping so that's why I'm sticking with it, even though I'd much prefer to go from 7pm to 8pm or something like that, but my work/home life doesn't allow for that so I have to go first FIRST thing in the morning.

I get up at 0530, take a GDA (it's a nutrient shuffler, essentially) and then 15 minutes later take 50grams of carbs (Karbolyn) with some Agmatine and Citrulline (the latter two mainly just for pump and aesthetic reasons as I can't take creatine) and then wait a 45 minutes to an hour to workout. 

Training fasted is an awful cunt. I do it for a month in summer on a cut or when I'm about to go away on holidays, but my strength and energy levels drop drastically and it really isn't something I personally think you should do on a constant basis, but in saying that, every body is different, and it really is all trial and error until you find out what works for you. If you're looking into fasted training first thing, you should look at sipping on a BCAA supplement like Xtend Raw intra workout too. It really does help and isn't just a gimmick.

Scotty, just because I want to feel inadequate for a few minutes (and feel motivated to do more than 3/4 days per week), what does a Malbranque workout week look like? You sneak in a cardio day or two, combine it with other stuff, or is it just balls to the wall it with the weights and machines? 

After a couple of years of just doing running to train for half marathons, I've been back on the weights since November. Gained about two-thirds of a stone in the past couple of months (which when you're 5,6 and have a natural weight of about 8,5 ain't bad), but definitely going to step it up a notch now that Christmas has gone.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

I’m on a variant of 5/3/1 training at the moment, Stavo.

The normal way to do 5/3/1 is four days a week, but I have it switched up so I can do it 6 days a week (Mon-Sat with Sun off).

The official way to hit a 5/3/1 is like this and this gentleman can explain it better than I can could ever dream of doing:

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

For some reason, I wasn’t responding as well as I would have liked to this and found there wasn’t enough volume for me personally (again, everyone and every body is different) so I switched it up to fit my needs and skipped deload weeks and my accessory work is all super and giant sets as I find that has me pissing sweat much more than a half hour on a treadmill could ever do. So cardio is done for the most part through very little rest on my weight training. That’s what works for me.

Every day I usually start off with 5 sets of 10-15 reps front facing chin ups supersets into the same amount of sets and reps on clap press ups. Or if I’m particularly buzzing going into me gym I’ll do weighted chin ups into weighted dips and then do some Gary and Phil Neville style shuttles up the farm/garden. It’s all very Rocky IV in this weather too.

On the accessory work, some cycles I’ll do low reps heavier weight and other cycles I’ll do high reps lower weight or sometimes high reps with heavy weights and will switch up exercises etc. Really depends on how strong or shite I feel on that day.

Essentially a rough, basic breakdown of my week would look like this, but again, the accessory work would be switched around and changed...

Monday – Squats and Abs

Squats 5/3/1 basis with a 5x5 warmup set

Accessory Work

Superset: Leg Curl into Donkey Calf Raises (4 sets 5-25 reps)

Superset : Gobley Squats into Box Jumps (4 sets 5-25 reps)

Ab Work I usually do the P90X Ab Ripper X. It’s wonderful.

I have very limited movement in my legs and can’t do weighted lunges as I’ve no cruciate in my left knee and my medial ligament is goosed, so my pots do be gone when I’m even attempting barbell lunges or anything like that. Just basically linebacker leg training...

Tuesday – Military Press

Military Press 5/3/1 basis with a 5x5 warmup set

Accessory Work

Superset: Landmine Press into Kettlebell swings (3-4 sets of 5-25reps)

Giant Set : Barbell Bench Paused Press into cable or dumbbell side raises into rope front raises (4 sets of low reps on bench, into high reps of the other two...)

Boxing and bag work. Weighted hangs

Wednesday - Deadlift

Deadlift 5/3/1 basis with a 3x3 warmup set

Accessory Work - Arms

Superset: Bicep exercise into tricep exercise (5x5 heavy)

Giant Set : Tricep into bicep into tricep (Bog standard 4x10-12 reps)

Superset : Pull ups into Dips (3x10-20 reps)

Ab Ripper X

Thursday – Bench Press

Bench Press 5/3/1 basis with a 3x5 warmup set

Accessory Work – Chest and Back/Push Pull

Superset: Cable Crossovers (lying or standing) into Barbell Row (4x10-15reps)

Superset : Incline Bench into Cable Rows (varying grips) (5x8-15 reps)

Superset : Weighted Chest dips into Barbell or Dumbbell paused shrugs (2x25 reps)

Box jumps

Friday – back to squat day

Saturday – military press day

Sunday – Rest

Monday – deadlift day

Tuesday – Bench Press

Rinse and repeat until progress stalls or you get bored and then I switch it up. Every about 6 cycles of 5/3/1, I’ll switch it up and do the only “celebrity” workout that has ever made a dent and that’s Joe Manganiellos Evolution workout. Would recommend that book to anybody. The man speaks so much sense and on Weeks 5-6 of the workout, I nearly throw up regularly every time I’m on it.

I downloaded an app called Wendlerized which is so basic and brilliant. It tracks your 5/3/1 workouts, tells you what weights to lift, your progressions and on your ‘as many reps as possible’ set will give you the reps to beat.

Very, very long winded and boring on my part, I know, but I don’t know how else to explain it without going into what must seem like an ignorant, unnecessary amount of detail. And also apologies about the formatting...poxy Fisher Price pc in work...

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

Bought the new Tom Kerridge Lose Weight For Good book, as I thought the recipes would be good done by a former incredibly fat bloke who’s also a Michelin star winner.  I was right, written by a lad who loves food and flavour.  Did the chicken in mascarpone and tomato earlier and am hoping to do the fried chicken on Friday.  Didn’t taste like diet food at all

• Paid Members

I’m so pleased with myself. I lost 5lbs at Slimming World this week after putting on 4lbs over Christmas and NY. So I’m back on track again and feel better in myself after what I shovelled into my face over the break.

• Paid Members

Good on you. I went up from Nov to Jan by about 7 lbs, I’ve lost about 4 this past week, feeling good, and have sorted my diet out again.... first time in ages.

@Scott Malbranque, I might need to ask you some direct advice at some point soon if you don’t mind mate? I had surgery on my left knee (bucket handle tear). It wasn’t operated on for about 6 months after the incident. It fucks now, gets really hot and a dull ache occurs regularly.

I’ve become lazy due to being told by the surgeon “you can’t play footy, squash or weight lift anymore”. I was gutted, it’s been a bit over a year or so, and I’m dying to get back in the gym, but I’ll be honest, im scared of fucking it up further. Need a bit of advice about getting back in to it, preferably from someone who sounds like they’ve had similar.