The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

You can tell it’s been Christmas when the health & fitness thread hasn’t had a sniff since October.

Im not bothered how cliche it is but the start of Jan really is a good time to start shaking shit up. Every year for about a month I go back to basics and at the end of the month I attend the same party every year in which I allow myself to go crackers with beer and scran... not this year. 

I’m starting the year at large (for me) 15 stone right on the snout. I know that I can easily lose 7lbs in Jan taking me down to the very top end of my comfort zone. 

My aim is 13 1/2 stone and glide between that and 14 stone as a standard. 

Due to knee surgery, I can’t play footy or squash anymore, hence the increase in weight, but I can walk a canny distance before I get any jip from it. It’s a 1.5 hour round trip walk to work and do it regularly, now it will be daily.

I have the motivation for my diet change up, which I’m really good with once I ‘start’. It started yesterday and I’m up for it.

Who else is on it as it’s Jan?

Check out my staple breakfast, fucking love this stuff:

3DE1DB27-E930-4B91-8B96-1471542B43E8.jpeg

• Paid Members

I’ve been shit over Christmas and would’ve eaten my cats if you’d shoved a bit of BBQ sauce on them. I seriously ate an obscene amount that would have kept a small African country going for at least a couple of months. Pure boredom.

I went to Slimming World tonight and put on 4.5lbs over the last 2 weeks. I’ve felt awful too - not guilty, genuinely awful - lethargic, bloated, sluggish, etc. Back on the veg as of yesterday though and feeling a bit better.

I haven't been very well [mentally] over the last couple of months so I’m hoping to boost everything with a bit of a dietary spring clean.

Chin up.

Christmas, everyone lets themselves down.

My issue is that I always need to be hAve something in my hands be it cigarette, beer, coffee or bag of crisps when I am watching something on telly.

My older brother said to eat as little as possible after 6 in the evening, but that's precisely the time I eat too much junk or consume too much coffee etc.

Before 6 isn't a problem, I can easily preoccupy myself then.

• Paid Members

I’m not too worried as I know I can lose the weight (even if 4.5lbs is annoying). I’ve put that in before during holidays and stuff but I’m still 6st down so it’s ok.

Not eating after 6 is bollocks though. I don’t usually go to bed much before midnight so no way am I going that long without eating!

Coffee’s not too bad if you need something in your hand. I usually do that if I’m hungry but don’t want to eat. I love coffee so I have Nescafe Crema (very smooth), with skimmed milk, a teeny drop of evaporated milk and 2 sweeteners. If I’m proper craving sweetness then I’ll have 3 sweeteners. I cut out sugar quite a while back.

I've gotta  lose 2 stone by 2nd week in Feb, the hilarity.  Reason for that is to do with hormones, so began my Total Warrior prep early and adopted a Keto esque diet.  been at it 5 days. Already working. Just need to keep it up now :(

I really need your help people, I know I aint very liked in here but I went to the doctors today and got a might shock.

So my blood pressure is quite high, my weight is 22 stone, I felt like I had lost weight last year and not put it on, my BMI is 40 I think, my doctor said I am high risk of having a stroke, I am only 33 years old.

My weight is not ideal, I do snack a bit but in the last 12 months I have cut down a hell of a lot of bad stuff, I have had blood tests and urine tests so waiting to hear back about them.

I will probably have to have a gastric band operation so I am a bit worried about that as I have never had an operation before.

I am trying not to stress out as it will make me worse but to be told you are a high risk of having a stroke at 33 years old is not good, I know I got myself to blame but I tried so hard last year with dieting, exercising etc and barely lost any weight.

I am a bit of a fussy eater but I got to change that, can someone please give me advice on how to tackle my diet please, I aint the best cook in the world.

23 minutes ago, D@mm said:

my doctor said I am high risk of having a stroke

Or was it the judge?

but seriously, it must be impossible to not get stressed after a doctor says that to you. The good thing is that you want to make changes and are willing to make changes and that's the most important step.  Sugar is a bastard though, it seems like it is everywhere. Little things like sweetners in tea or coffee instead of a spoonful all add up.

The cookery thread here may be of some help, a nice easy home cooked meal is so much better for you than processed food. Keep regular appointments with your GP and track progress. And remember that you didn't get unhealthy overnight so you won't get healthy overnight. Good luck. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, D@mm said:

I really need your help people, I know I aint very liked in here but I went to the doctors today and got a might shock.

So my blood pressure is quite high, my weight is 22 stone, I felt like I had lost weight last year and not put it on, my BMI is 40 I think, my doctor said I am high risk of having a stroke, I am only 33 years old.

My weight is not ideal, I do snack a bit but in the last 12 months I have cut down a hell of a lot of bad stuff, I have had blood tests and urine tests so waiting to hear back about them.

I will probably have to have a gastric band operation so I am a bit worried about that as I have never had an operation before.

I am trying not to stress out as it will make me worse but to be told you are a high risk of having a stroke at 33 years old is not good, I know I got myself to blame but I tried so hard last year with dieting, exercising etc and barely lost any weight.

I am a bit of a fussy eater but I got to change that, can someone please give me advice on how to tackle my diet please, I aint the best cook in the world.

Diets don't really work.

If you feel like you're depriving yourself then you'll never really stick to it. I used to try all sorts of mental diets, be miserable for a month, realise I hadn't lost any weight and then go "Fuck this. I might as well have a kebab". Your metabolism will slow down if your body thinks you're starving as well, which actually makes it harder to lose weight. The trick I found was to make such small changes to my diet that I didn't really realise that I was making them.

It might be a bit contradictory but have you thought of trying Slimming World or something? They encourage you need to eat as much as you like but only cut out (or keep track of) certain things. The success rate amongst people I know is incredible. In particular, my old boss has lost nearly 10st going there and looks like a completely different person now.

• Paid Members

@D@mm Firstly, don’t stress. Easier said than done, I know but you’ve made the first step in admitting things need to change.

Secondly, if it comes to the point where you have to have a gastric band then don’t stress about that either. Take it from someone who knows. It’s been 5 years since I had mine and, although it hasn’t been easy, I don’t for a second regret having it.

Now, down to food. I’m a picky eater too and a proper lazy cook. Can’t be arsed fannying around prepping and stuff. However, Slimming World is the best thing I ever did. It’s piss easy, you’re never hungry and they even have their own frozen meals so you don’t have to lift a finger if you don’t want to. I’ve lost 2.5st doing it, I don’t stick to it rigidly 24/7 and I’m not a fan of exercise. If you do fancy giving the cooking a try then they do have some fantastic recipes that taste amazing and they’re not all salads either. There’s even one for making a fake doner kebab that’s really healthy!

How about giving that a go?

Edited by Monkee

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, D@mm said:

My weight is not ideal, I do snack a bit but in the last 12 months I have cut down a hell of a lot of bad stuff,

Keep focussing on cutting out the bad stuff. It's a small change, but it's an easy one to get your head round. There's unhealthy stuff that's obvious it's unhealthy. The fizzy drinks, the biscuits, the fast food, and so on.

Don't overdo the pasta or potatoes as lots of people do when trying to eat healthy, as they have a lot of calories.

Don't eat too fast. If you wolf it down, by the time you feel full, you've eaten more than you need to.