The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

I got the blood test results a few days a go, so basically there is a slight issue with my liver as fatty tissue has got into my liver, I am also lacking Folic Acid in my body so I have been given Folic Acid tablets and multi vits, I am also eating fruit every day now instead of maybe once a week etc.

I am walking quite a bit as well, I aint had much time off since I got my job but I am determined to join Slimming World soon but in the mean time I am cutting down most sugary things and trying to walk as much as possible.

• Paid Members

Does anyone know of any good exercises I can do with my ankle to strengthen it and regain flexibility? I'm able to stand and walk (painfully, using crutches) now after my break but it's been a few days and it doesn't seem like the ankle is getting any better beyond not being broken anymore. The doctor didn't really give me any exercises to do except to roll up a towel and push my foot up and down in it. I'm especially worried that I can't seem to twist my ankle to the left at all. 

I wanted to go back to uni next week but unless I get a lot better in the next couple of days, it doesn't look good. 

• Paid Members

Are they not sending you to physio @SpursRiot2012? I'm quite surprised if so. You can probably see a private one relatively cheaply, just as a one off to get some exercises and stuff. A mate recommended Nuffield Health as being decent/fairly cheap per session when I messed up my knee.

Not sure if that's much help, I'm sure others will be able to help with actual ankle exercises. Hope you're back on your feet soon.

• Paid Members

Ah I see. That's a bit annoying. I'd definitely look into seeing if you can a private physio appointment near you if you don't wanna wait for the NHS referral.

In the interim, this might be some help, or at least a starting point for more research. Might be worth looking into a foam roller (not 100% sure on what size you might need, so again, might need some researching) instead of the towel, if it's that sort of movement. 

15 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

They did give me a physio referral which i'm waiting to hear about but the doctor said she didn't think I'd need it and that I could cancel the eventual appointment unless I thought I needed it at the time.

I had the same process from GP to physio but by the time the appointment came I actually didn't need it. I think I was just very lucky because as soon as I didn't need the crutches I could get about more or less normally. I got my cast off the second week in January and was able to go to a TNA show in Glasgow on the 23rd or so. 

I'd definitely consider a private appointment if it's affordable. They'll be able to give you exercises and also practical tips for how to navigate stairs or inclines, which can be quite tricky at first.

• Paid Members

Thanks for the advice. I went to the local hospital physio drop in this morning. They said that I shouldn't stop using the crutches for at least another two weeks, when they'll see me again. They reckon the issue is that I was in cast and then a boot for such a long time, longer than usual, that the ankle is incredibly tight. They gave me a few exercises to do. They were slightly concerned that I might have an infection due to the fact that my leg and foot swell up a lot, but I haven't been feeling unwell they are putting that down to just putting weight on the leg. So they've also recommended lots of elevation and ice for a while. Frustrating, overall, as this week was the week I'd hoped to get back to normalcy. Ah, well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, I've signed up for the gym.

I've decided to get myself in shape and have bought myself a membership. I did this when I was 15 but decided that all calories = good calories, and just ended up looking really stocky and bloated all the time as a result. I'm trying to cut out the rubbish in my diet and have started incorporating a lot more chicken/rice/veg. Seems a good basis to start.

I've been having a quick skim through some beginner workouts on the internet, and came across this. From my point of view, it all seems fine and good but if anyone with more experience/knowledge could let me know if any tweaks need to be made, I'd be really appreciative! Same goes for any aspect of getting myself in better shape really, looking primarily at muscle gain but also trimming a bit off the stomach. 

Said workout routine: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-muscle-building-workout-routine/

Thanks again!

Edited by AdamTH17

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

After realising the amount of money I was spending on really shitty food at work and missing breakfast a bunch, I bought myself some of that Huel stuff. Basically a meal replacement full of all the essential vitamins and nutrients you want.

It costs less overall than I was spending per day on junk at work and I'm hoping it combines well with losing weight (though I'm fully aware it's not a weight loss drink). It looks revolting but tastes fine if you like oats and vanilla (which I do).
Basically like a porridge drink in flavour but thankfully not consistency. I got a pack of flavours to try too. Had Rhubarb and Custard earlier and Strawberry is in the fridge for Breakfast.

My farts smell rancid.

28417414_1913321542331605_246192017_o.jpg