The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I hit 10K on the treadmill today for the first time. Bloody ecstatic with that! It's a long way from struggling for breath during a 3 minute a run in May to now, where I'm belting out three sets of 18 minutes. I cannot recommend the CouchTo5K/10k apps enough, as they were a massive help. I don't see myself getting this far without the routines it instilled in me early on.

Forgot my protein shake though so my legs are going to be killing me for the next couple of days. Can't win them all.

3 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I hit 10K on the treadmill today for the first time. Bloody ecstatic with that! It's a long way from struggling for breath during a 3 minute a run in May to now, where I'm belting out three sets of 18 minutes. I cannot recommend the CouchTo5K/10k apps enough, as they were a massive help. I don't see myself getting this far without the routines it instilled in me early on.

Forgot my protein shake though so my legs are going to be killing me for the next couple of days. Can't win them all.

Just have a Nando's for lunch! Very well done on the achievement mate

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Just have a Nando's for lunch! Very well done on the achievement mate

Thanks man! These man tits and beer belly will be vanquished! I've got left over chicken casserole for lunch, so that's a lucky break.

The next big test will be next week, where it gradually changes from three sets of 18 minutes to two sets of 30 minutes over a week, then it hits you in the face with "Run for 60 minutes". No fucking around there. 

• Paid Members

How'd you go about dropping that @tiger_rick? Any exercise or just purely dieting? I'm a fat cunt at almost 20 stone and I really need to get my arse in gear. I've signed up to a gym with a mate and am gonna give it my best in the new year.

Well done btw! Amazing achievement.

Edited by Wretch

• Paid Members

It's been a combination of exercise and seriously watching my calories.

I joined a gym in Jan but didn't really go until I joined my local Man v Fat scheme where I started playing football. It was hard at first, carrying 24 stone, but as it started to drop off, it got easier. I was also going to the gym so exercising 3-4 days a week. As I've lost weight, I've started playing more football and hardly go to the gym but still try to excercise 3-4 times a week.

On calories (or diet if you like), I just created a spreadsheet and I track every calorie I eat and drink. Drink is massively important. I'll put a screenshot below of one of my weeks. I've tried to cut out a lot of sugar, particularly in drinks by switching to Diet and having sweetener in my coffee, and also carbs by eating more salads and omelettes. I'm not an angel by any means, I still have a little bit of stuff I like, including too many McDonald's breakfasts, but I find if I track it and I'm careful, I can do that. I aim for about 1200 calories a day which is hard and I probably average 1300-1400 in truth. I've also only had a couple of pints in 9 months. I've been out a few times and had Vodka and Diet Coke but I've laid off the beer. You could still lose weight if you're taking in 1800 or so calories and upping your exercise.

I'd highly recommend joining some form of club. Mine is Man v Fat. The football is great but the weekly weigh in is what keeps me focussed. I know something like Weight watchers or Slimming World might be intimidating but anything where you are going to get weighed regularly and get some praise or disappointment can be very motivating.

Hope that helps @Wretch

image.png.39bc714489bcd8c03c45b62cc6d0b621.png

Edited by tiger_rick