The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

@Accident ProneDo you like walking? Since you are near to me, there are some fantastic walks you can do, long ones too. clent, woodgate valley, illey, walton and loads more. Stick your headphones on and go for a long walk, i cant suggest it enough!

Walking is my favorite exercise, never been a fan of running or cycling 

I used to do Woodgate Valley loads when my walk to work took me through there every day. Really great place, even when you're walking through at 4am after a nightshift, trying not to shit yourself.

Running sucks (I rarely enjoy nor look forward to it) but the results don't lie. For me, it's just a means to an end.

• Paid Members
On 12/31/2018 at 9:11 AM, BigJag said:

Hsvy you tried using pink salt. The Himalayan stuff. Rock salt is similar and a lot healthier than table salt. Its best to avoid anything white. White bread, white sugar, white salt, white rice, white flour. Have I missed anything?

Racist.

I went out for a skate earlier, since apart from being a bit chilly out it is quite pleasant. After half an hour I was huffing and puffing and it felt like I had lead in my feet. I had a horrible cold throughout all of last week, so that combined with stuffing my face with food has really fucked me. I am going to try and get my 10,000 steps in every day, I have barely hit 5,000 a day whilst I have been Off work.

• Paid Members

I'm less fucked that I thought I was/deserve to be after the last few months. Did a quick 5k just now and feel fine, so reckon I'll be able to get back into good running shape if I lay off the fags and get some miles into my legs over the next couple of months.

It's been nearly two years since my last, so would like to do a couple of half marathons this year if possible.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Glad to hear it, are you feeling sore this monring? I have never got on with running, sadly, despite my small size which i thought may make it a tad easier!

Ive done just under 105 miles walking since the 23rd of december, my legs kinda hurt now, a lot! 

I feel absolutely fine to be honest. I think I overestimated quite how long I had been out of the gym. I am definitely lucky with my genetics regarding running though, always had a better recovery time with it than the weights. 

• Paid Members

I have the opposite, genetics are not great for exercise and my asthma does not help. After some half-hearted running over Xmas (managed a couple of very slow 5k runs), and far too much junk on the eating front,  I am back on getting my health sorted out now. Training for the Worthing Half in Feb, and looking to drop some weight in the process. I managed to get back up to doing 10k in around an hour just before Christmas, which is where I was hoping to be, but I need to push on to the longer runs now. Although with the temperatures dropping massively I might head to the local gym for the next week, and then brave the cold after that. Clocked in at just shy of 16 st on January 1st, so am hoping to get down to something closer to 14 (or lower) by the summer, which feels vaguely feasible. 

Haven't been for more than 1 run in the 3 years since I stopped refereeing Sunday football. 

Having had a Florida holiday and been to some very well-catered work events in the interim it's no surprise that I'm back up to 15 stone. It's not horrendous or unmanageable  as I'm 5' 10" so only around 2 stone from a comfortable weight for me. Never really subscribed to using BMI but even with that I'm only 2 and a half from being 'normal weight'.

Definitely looking to get that sorted over the next few months. The hardest part won't be the diet it will be the building up activity levels again. Thankfully, Mike Ashley has opened up an Everlast gym 2 minutes from my house that's well kitted out and only costs a fiver per month.

• Paid Members

I honestly think it's a bit of both (alright, I do sometimes forget that I'm younger than the majority of posters on here). Despite being 2 foot tall, I've always been naturally athletic and one of the wankers who was on the schools sports teams and stuff. Grandad was a PE teacher who looked exactly like Bullet Baxter and Grandpa cycled competitively, so I am lucky. I am in no doubt that if I tried to get back into shape in 5/10 years after doing the shite I have recently, it would be nowhere near as easy though.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Heads back on and really looking forward to sorting my shit out... again.

Back to circuits on Wednesdays and boxing on Thursdays. Glad Glad I’ve re-found motivation.

I normally douse my meals in salt but have avoided using it at all this week and I’m sticking to meat, fish and green veg for the next couple of weeks, before slowly introducing other elements in moderation. All the shit food has now left my house and is now filled with the next couple of weeks worth of food.

Green Veg and Rump with cider vinegar and chilli flakes is on tonight menu, after a few hours of walking. 

It’s been this thread that has kicked me up the arse. So cheers for your stories and advice.

5C195EDD-6B24-4012-B39D-212DE8F522A1.jpeg

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Well done, Kaz. I've joined you this week. Lost 3.5lbs and got my calories back under control. I've started trying to have a glass of water as the first drink of the day instead of coffee. Will see if that helps further.

Water is my biggest battle. I’m really bad at drinking it and have an unhealthy relationship with zero sugar fizzy drinks. I’ve got 4 cans of Pepsi Max left in the fridge. I’ve told myself when they’re gone, they’re gone.

Good work on the pounds loss Rick. My aim is to lose a stone in 2 months. It’s achievable, but I need to really understand how my body works in regards to shifting weight as mentioned in an earlier post. This is why I’m stripping everything back to the basics of meat/fish/greens for a while.

• Paid Members

I've had the most success when I've combined good water intake, exercise 4-5 times in the week, 1200-1500 calories a day and as low carb as possible, particularly at night. When I've got all those things in the same week, I've lost up to 4 kilos in a week.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I've had the most success when I've combined good water intake, exercise 4-5 times in the week, 1200-1500 calories a day and as low carb as possible, particularly at night. When I've got all those things in the same week, I've lost up to 4 kilos in a week.

That’s really good going, that’s over half a stone. What are you constituting as exercise? Specific activity or being generally active (walking etc)?