The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

21 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

How hard is he breathing in on that second photo? Even after all the weight loss, I've still got a spare tyre.

Yeah, I think despite all of the gushing about how Fury has lost a lot of weight (and he deserves a lot of credit for it, and moreso his mental health recovery) it has to be remembered that he isn't a regular guy who's been overweight for years (not that I'm saying you have, I don't know) and who's losing weight in a "regular" way.

He's a guy who has spent the majority of his life in the top class athlete shape. He lost his way a bit, but even when coming back he was surrounded by a million dollar team of trainers and nutrition experts.

On 2/27/2019 at 3:33 PM, Silky Kisser said:

Stunning day today. My feet are in fucking agony now though. 

That's what you get for wearing your fruit boots. In all seriousness I have been tempted to get a longboard, just for using for short distance over the summer.

• Paid Members

Last Easter weekend, my wife took me to the gym with her on one of those "bring a friend for free" things. It was the first time I'd done any exercise more than a gentle bike ride (on a hired bike when on holiday, don't own one) or going for a walk probably since I stopped playing rugby when I left university (I'm now 36).

Didn't dare go on the treadmill that day. Built up the courage a couple of weeks later, and managed a shade over 5 minutes running at snail's pace.

This morning, came within 10 seconds of breaking a 30 minute 5k. Doing 10k tomorrow morning, which has been a weekly Sunday occurrence since mid-February. It may not be that amazing in the grand scheme of things, but I'm pretty chuffed with myself.

Edit: felt I should clarify that a) my runs now are pounding the pavements rather than on the treadmill, and b) best I can tell, I've not lost a pound of weight so I'm still a fat bastard, just a quicker one.

Edited by Statto
Pavement.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

I'm getting bored of the gym. It's fine, I just get no positive feeling from it like others seem to. Plus no net benefit. I turned 40 last week so I need to find something. I'm in a "try anything" mood so I did a BodyCombat class last night. 

https://www.lesmills.com/uk/workouts/group-fitness/bodycombat/

Fuck me, it's intense. An hour of pretty much non stop punching and kicking. I held up OK due to a love of rhythm-action games but I am feeling it today.  I think I enjoyed it? But I'll try another couple of times to see how it goes. 

@Onyx2 I'm a bodycombat instructor. I also teach bodypump and bodyattack. Les Mills work in quarters, so you're starting at the very start of a quarter with a new release - new music and choreography etc, so should mean for the next few weeks you'll be doing the same thing so you can get used to it, and then start to push yourself etc. The new bodycombat release is absolutely brutal. If you don't walk out of there trying to breathe out of your backside you're not doing it right!! If you've got any questions, just drop me a message

Right, I’ve always been slim, and weighed around 10ish stone, but I’m getting a bit wobbly.

Ive been off work for a bit (quite physical job) and eating shit due to depression so have basically gone a bit CM Punk-skinny fat.

I don’t want to lose weight, I don’t want to add muscle, I just want to be toned, especially with my pecs.

Cant afford the gym at the moment so any exercises/reps you can recommend would be very welcome. 

Cheers

David Lloyd clubs are doing a 16 quid for 2 weeks trial at the moment. Think the deal expires on the 14th (You can use the 2 weeks for a little longer). Would be a good intro to the gym for anyone looking to try it out. Comes in handy for me as there is one a few miles drive from my parents house an we're visiting for 3 weeks, all the other gyms are either 8-10 miles away of 40-50 quid a month, being home 3 weeks it means I can skip only 1 week and save a shit load of cash. 

• 4 weeks later...

I used the mini bands before, they're good for toning up and losing a bit of weight. Plenty of videos on YouTube showing you 10-15 minute workouts. They're probably better as an accompanying workout than a sole fitness routine though. 

Edited by simonworden

17 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Been a while coming but hit 8 stone lost last night. Funny looking back, the first stone I lost took 3 weeks. This last one has been 3 months!

Well done Rick, that's no mean feat. 

On 9 April 2019 at 1:16 PM, Onyx2 said:

I'm getting bored of the gym. It's fine, I just get no positive feeling from it like others seem to. Plus no net benefit. I turned 40 last week so I need to find something. I'm in a "try anything" mood so I did a BodyCombat class last night. 

https://www.lesmills.com/uk/workouts/group-fitness/bodycombat/

Fuck me, it's intense. An hour of pretty much non stop punching and kicking. I held up OK due to a love of rhythm-action games but I am feeling it today.  I think I enjoyed it? But I'll try another couple of times to see how it goes. 

If your gym does it, I would really recommend Les Mills BodyAttack. I prefered it to BodyCombat and seen better results, which I put down to enjoying the class more.