The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

1 minute ago, gmoney said:

Yeah really, get some ointment. If baths cured arse grapes, do you think they'd sell Anusol? 

The drug industry selling something people don’t need...IMAGINE MY SHOCK!!!

Nah, seriously I will get it though. Might get one of the kids to go and pay though 

• Paid Members

Sorted the downward spiral out this past week.

I’d gone back up to 14.8 on the scales, which really fucked with my head, as it was only 2 weeks worth of spiralling and nothing really bad either. I’d basically eaten bread every other day, crisps and chocolate. Not stupid amounts, but I’m assuming that because my body has been rid of that stuff for a while, it felt under attack and I was probably retaining a shit load of water. (Bread fucking hates me).

Anyway, went to a wedding in Ireland this weekend gone, got back home Sunday night, stood on the scales and yup, 14.8.

So I decided on Sunday night I had to absolutely smash it this week. 

Fish / Salad for every meal to regain some power & cleanse.

Monday - 3 hours of walking (not counting general pottering around the house). And 70 minute boxing session.

Tuesday - 4 hours of walking (not counting general pottering)

Wednesday - Approx 2-3 hours of walking & circuit training tonight.

I’ll jump on the scales tonight, as I expect to have shed a couple of pounds and I need that reassurance/moral boost, then back to the hard work of maintaining that level of drive.

I’m determined to be averaging 13 stone by my birthday in November. I need to get to that weight and plateau. That’s the aim.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I really do want to exercise but would find it much easier if I could do it whenever I want. I've cleared out the garage and bought some of that foam / rubber matting to cover the floor with and am going to make a little exercise space

I mentioned it up there but I'm really enjoying the Les Mills app. If you can be disciplined to do classes by yourself, it's a great way to have a properly managed workout.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Nah, seriously I will get it though. Might get one of the kids to go and pay though 

I take your point, but I was trying to get at the second part of your post there: no fucker wants to buy it because it says "arse problems" to any cashier so it must be a genuine solution. Most Boots has a self service till these days though. 

Edited by gmoney

• Awards Moderator
9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I'm completely unfazed by asking for that stuff. I asked someone on the shop floor "where's the haemorrhoid creams?" and she'd never heard the term, so shouted out to her manager a few feet away "this customer's looking for - what was it again? - haemorrhoid cream? Do you know where that is?" He looked ashen, shushed her and quietly led me to the section.

If you're that bothered, you can always blag that it's for your pregnant wife (very common in late stage pregnancy).

Edited by Onyx2

Nah I was only kidding, I’m not arsed by that sort of thing at all. Apart from at Christmas when I went into a quiet Sainsbury’s local at 11pm for condoms only to have around 10 middle ageish women on a Christmas do come in and start getting all “oooooh young man” with me, whilst the condoms wouldn’t scan through. It went on for 5 minutes and I actually just wanted to leave it. 

Edited by SuperBacon

• Paid Members

Quick advertisement:

I took part in a project called 12th man last Sep. It’s run by Newcastle United Foundation and aimed at 30-65 year old, out of shape men. Focuses on physical & mental health, 1 night a week, 12 weeks, completely free. There are 20 slots available and it’s a great mix of age, shapes, sizes & past fitness levels. The most inclusive thing I’ve ever taken part in.

Absolutely tremendous program.

I was part of the 1st group, they are now through their 3rd and it’s going really well.

The Foundation also offer free circuit training (Strength & conditioning based). 35 mins, once a week at St James Park. Separate program from 12th man, but again, brilliant.

If you live in the North East and have an interest, feel free to get in touch, it has seriously changed my life. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So, couple weeks into the new regime and everything is going really well. I'm exercising and eating well. I can't make it to the gym, so I decided to bring the gym to me. Cleared out the garage and bought a power rack and some weights. Always enjoyed lifting so this is a fun way to get my exercise. Feels quite meditative when I'm in there. 

20190616_192348.thumb.jpg.ef4c65154ff229dc7b8f7716bc3f4ddc.jpg

However! I'm now facing my first big challenge.. I've injured my elbow slightly and need to rest it. That means no lifting (except legs) and no climbing (which I've also got back into in the last couple weeks as a nice new climbing place has opened up quite close). I'm keen to keep up the pace and keep exercising, so I think I'll be needing to go for a run or a bike ride or do some boring core exercise routine. My motivation for cardio is traditionally pretty low, and I'm really hoping I can keep momentum. This is going to be tough I think...

I liked that post Chest, but didn’t want it to be seen as a tacit endorsement of your injury.

Home gym looks great though.

I’ve been in New York for just over 6 months now and I’ve put a fuck load of weight on. Few reasons: everything is stupidly expensive here so my diet isn’t great (not junk, but like pasta, bread and processed shite is back) and everything is stupidly expensive here so I can’t bring myself to pay for a gym membership.

Moved to a new apartment and they have a gym on site and so I’ve started slowly back there, and I tend to walk to work each day which is around 80 minutes.

But, fuck, having lost >80lbs before and then put >50 back on? Just feels like a fucking horrible mountain to climb back up now..

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Great to see Chest, it’s my goal to clear the garage too, just finding time to clear it and deciding exactly what I want in there. I’m thinking of using a basic replica of my favourite stations to start with, just to motivate me to use it, and then go from there, so a 20kg to 40kg dumbbell rack, punch bag, and resistance band station. Fairly easy to achieve really.

I didn’t realise you were climbing, how do you find it? I’ve only done it once, but I’m intrigued by it.

Daz - I’ve been there man, (over a few years) went from 15 stone, down to 12, then up to 16, but hovering at 14.4 now. My target is 13 and I went to maintain that weight. I’ve given myself until November to reach my goal. Keep going man. As soon as you pick it back up, it will work. You’ve done it before, it can be done👍

On another note, the circuits training class I do on a Wednesday came to an end last week. I was the only attendee for 3 weeks so they decided to understandably call it a day.

It knocked me more than I thought it would as I was very happy with Boxing on Monday’s, circuits on Wednesday and was planning to start weight training again for the first time in 7 years, for on a Friday.

Anyway, I went to the gym for the for the first time in 7 years last night. Although I worked out well and felt strong after, I fucking hated the atmosphere. It was also an eye opener to see how much power I had lost.

I was at one point managing 40kg dumbbell bicep curls and other exercises, but I was at my limit at 25kg last night. Slow process to build back up, but I’m sure I’ll get there.

• Moderators

Punch bag is definitely the next addition for me as it's one of the few tolerable forms of cardio.

Well I say climbing, but I only do bouldering. I don't bother with rope climbing of any sort. Climbing is good fun, to a point. I needed to dial back my expectations. I used to climb regularly but I found I hit a wall in my progress that I just wouldn't be able to get past without dedicating more time per week to it. The conditioning required for it is very specific. 

So now I just resign myself to enjoying routes that are a bit easier than I would ideally like to be climbing and it's more fun. Maybe if I start doing it regularly enough to find myself in the same position as last time then I'll get frustrated again but for now it's fun and good exercise.

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Fucking hell. That's good fun radbourne level writing there. I can't be bothered to fix it though.

Well, thought I'd join in here.

On 11th March I weighed in at 22 and a half stone. Always been a big lad, always been a huge source of low self-esteem, depression and anxiety. The arrival of my little one has given me a wake up call, I don't want to end up dead by 40 and I want to build up my confidence and be the best Dad possible.

So, since the 11th March I've been hitting the gym five or six times a week. Currently I'm doing four days HIIT (45 mins each) and one longer cardio routine and one session of resistance training every week. It's probably fairly basic stuff for you guys - just bike, cross trainer, stairs, arm bike, treadmill. Generally speaking I'm burning between 600 and 700 calories in my cardio sessions. Overall I'm running a calorie deficit in excess of 1000 calories a day with macros roughly standing at 40% carbs, 30% fats, 30% protein. 

Pretty chuffed to say I've lost just under 4 stone since the 11th March and I'm absolutely loving the routine and feel fantastic - given it's been three and a half months it feels like a proper routine and lifestyle change. My goal is to shift another 5 stone. 

If you guys have any general advice, it'd be extremely welcome.