The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

I'll counter that by saying that any kind of workout split (working different muscles on different days) is for bodybuilders and bros; the average person wanting to use weight training for fitness and fat loss is better off doing training their whole body three days per week. This is especially good if you're just starting out, because a lot of your initial gains come after your body has mastered each movement, so training each movement more often means your body learns the movement more quickly. Then you can start adding weight, if that's what you want to do.

I'd recommend picking two exercises for each muscle group, and doing 3 sets of 10 for one of each pair every workout. I suggest choosing from the following:

Chest: dumbell/barbell Presses, dumbell flyes, pushups

Back: barbell row, dumbell row, dumbell/barbell pullover

Shoulders: dumbell presses, dumbell raises (side or bentover; don't bother with forward ones because your chest work will take care of them)

Biceps: hammer curls, concentration curls, barbell curls

Triceps: barbell/dumbell skullcrushers, close handed pushups

Legs: barbell /dumbell squats, lunges

They will give you a solid all round workout and help you build a good balanced physique and fitness base.

I'd also trim your rest between sets to 60 seconds. If you're buying your own weights, I assume they won't be mega heavy and you are looking for GAINZBRO, so the intensity will be lighter meaning you can rest for less and give yourself a cardio boost along with the muscle tone.

Six exercises a time with a minute rest between sets means your full workout shouldn't take more than 45 minutes,a nice healthy duration for someone with a life outside training! Once you've built up your base over 4 weeks or so, then look at whether you want to change things up.

• Paid Members

Yeah, caveman Lynn is pretty spot on.

Also, keep a few basics in mind. The following is generic but is a good idea...

Big Weights = Big Muscle

Light Weights = Cutting

So if you’re looking to lose weight and tone up, try lighter weights and attempt more of them.

I agree that 3 sets is right, but when comfortable try 10 reps, 12 reps, 12 reps.

I also strongly urge anyone to download the app, MY FITNESS PAL.

DFF7C706-897A-4D98-B28B-D0DA81438D65.jpeg.57bf350bc43474c3c96dc9cc157999c4.jpeg

Absolutely tremendous in regards to calorie counting. Can be a chore to add foods to it, but man, it’s great to keep on top of what you’re eating, what you should eat and when to put sausage down. Great at track exercise as well as calories and does the maths for you.

I’ve learned quickly that whilst my diet was healthy and nutritious, it wasn’t the best for weight loss. That’s why I’ve been hovering at 14 to 14.5 stone for 2 months. This app has helped me lose weight already. It’s been 4 days, I’m not hungry.

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

You have people giving you advice in this thread daily and all though you say you’ll take it on board you clearly aren’t, when people try to get you to open up about your issues with your dad you ignore them.

There are people in this thread with genuine issues and all I see when I read your posts are someone in their 30s who lost their job (you never mentioned how you were sacked, just that it was due to your mental health issues) and is making no attempt to try to gain new employment so they can move out of their parents house which is where your issues supposedly are.

If I was your dad I probably wouldn’t be so inconsiderate as he is but I would also expect my son to open up to me on his issues instead of just leaving the house late at night for hours on end with no explanation, I doubt you’re paying rent or helping out with your parents bills due to being jobless but then you go and buy a new X Box, it would piss me off too!

Now you can ignore this post and probably will but all of your posts in this thread make it seem you’re just looking for pity and people to feel sorry for you. Your Twitter account is exactly the same. 

You seriously need to pull your finger out if you don’t want to end up on the street.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

19 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

You have people giving you advice in this thread daily and all though you say you’ll take it on board you clearly aren’t, when people try to get you to open up about your issues with your dad you ignore them.

There are people in this thread with genuine issues and all I see when I read your posts are someone in their 30s who lost their job (you never mentioned how you were sacked, just that it was due to your mental health issues) and is making no attempt to try to gain new employment so they can move out of their parents house which is where your issues supposedly are.

If I was your dad I probably wouldn’t be so inconsiderate as he is but I would also expect my son to open up to me on his issues instead of just leaving the house late at night for hours on end with no explanation, I doubt you’re paying rent or helping out with your parents bills due to being jobless but then you go and buy a new X Box, it would piss me off too! 

Now you can ignore this post and probably will but all of your posts in this thread make it seem you’re just looking for pity and people to feel sorry for you. Your Twitter account is exactly the same. 

You seriously need to pull your finger out if you don’t want to end up on the street.

This post is my mood, vibe and energy.

Edited by Ironic Indie Lad

Just to expand on what @TildeGuy~! said about @Ralphy

I've just looked up the twitter content and recent posts include:

"Dad is out so I just went mad on food"

"My dad is doing his best to make me even more poorly again"

"Does anyone want to buy my Xbox One please? I am too scared to play it"  - (presumably because of your dad???)

"Eaten too much again cos of anxiety. I think if dads in I get nervous so eat a lot, regret it and feel like crying afterwards"

My question is, what is it going to take for you to do something about the relationship with your dad? Binge eating and obsessive work outs are clearly not the answer. You need to make an effort to improve this relationship or get your own place. Simple as that.

Also, you've lost weight because you walked 200+ miles. You also seem to be doing very thorough resistance and cardio workouts on top of all this. If you go a huge walk maybe skip the gym that day. If you hit the weights hard then you can pretty safely skip the treadmill sprints that day.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'm not quite on-board with these people aggressively giving unsolicited life advice to Ralphy, even if it's something he might need. I definitely don't think combing through his posts for quotes is a productive use of time. I'm not suggesting you shouldn't offer the guy advice, but when you're suggesting he go an confront his dad etc, when you don't really know the situation, it doesn't sit well. Unless I am mistaken, none of you are mental health professionals or councillors. 

I don't think its that aggressive. It's not like anyone is going CONFRONT YOUR ABUSIVE FATHER AND POST ABOUT IT ONLINE! PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN! (maybe in the DMs tho?)

If someone is posting semi-regularly that they are having suicidal thoughts and their dad is the problem, I think suggesting that they try speak to their dad OR make a real effort to leave home is reasonable.

I also don't think anyone claimed to be a professional or made any comments that could be perceived as actual qualified advice. It's just common sense.

• Paid Members

"Aggressive" is perhaps wrong.I guess my point is you have no information about his dad and you don't know how he's going to react. You also don't have any insight into Ralphy other than what he posts here, so you don't have any real awareness of whether he's going to be able to approach his dad in that way without exacerbating the situation. Your presumably well intentioned advice could well make things a lot worse. I know that in abstract "talk to your dad and try and sort things out" seems reasonable, but in reality you've got no idea how that will go down. 

• Paid Members

So it's been about a year since I started back on the blades. Started off skating alone early mornings but over the months, I began to meet other skaters and we've started a bit of a weekly session at the local park. Last Sunday we booked out the park to celebrate one of our guys 50th birthdays. 

The skating and making new friends thing has completely blown me away and had such a positive impact on my mental health. I'm very grateful for it. 

20190731_082815.jpg.f253de5666b97953d5e5cb0d2fa6b844.jpg

Edited by Silky Kisser