The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided I need to do something about my fitness levels and weight as I'm nearing 30 and the biggest and least in shape I've ever been. 

Joined the gym again today (after being an on and off member 4 or 5 years ago) and spent an hour there today. Did 20 minutes on the bike, which worked out to be 7.5km, then did a whole body workout using weights. 

Aiming to go 3 or 4 times a week to do a mixture of cardio and weights while also cutting down on alcohol and unhealthy eating habits. 

• Paid Members

I can’t stress enough how good that My Fitness Pal is at helping you to watch calorie intake and change portion sizes etc.

On Tuesday it’ll be 2 weeks of using it. Ive currently lost approx 1 stone. 

I’m walking and boxing still, but this app has massively changed my diet. A healthy approach to it too.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Ralphy said:

I second this question, am thinking of it myself

Amazing work! Thats incredible, i myself am thinking of trying boxing soon, more as a means of stress relief more than anything. is it enjoyable?

It is for me, I’ve been every week since September. A group of 8 of us hire the boxing gym and the trainer for 1 hour. He’s a great guy and that makes the difference. My coach as a kid was a dick so I sacked it off back then.

Our current trainer has been coaching for 40 years, he’s been in the corner of Nigel Benn, he is a black belt in 4 other martial arts and even teaches ninjitsu. Different MMA fighters have done exhibitions in his gym including 2 of the Gracies.

He’s about 5’9, the width of a fridge, looks a bit like the short dumpy one from American Pickers and wears multi coloured nail polish.

Point being, the coach makes the session what it is. If you do get involved in something like boxing, ensure the coach is great.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

I can’t stress enough how good that My Fitness Pal is

I think i will give this a shot. 

I have brought the Stevie Richards (yes that Stevie) fitness program. It uses resistance bands over a 14 week cycle. I tend to use it  for days im unable to get to the gym. Im really impressed with it I will probably start to use it 5 days a week regardless of gym use 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, quote the raven said:

I think i will give this a shot. 

I have brought the Stevie Richards (yes that Stevie) fitness program. It uses resistance bands over a 14 week cycle. I tend to use it  for days im unable to get to the gym. Im really impressed with it I will probably start to use it 5 days a week regardless of gym use 

That’s the other thing I believe is brilliant, resistant bands. We use them in the circuit sessions, great for strength and core training.

8 hours ago, Ralphy said:

is it possible to get energy for things like walking or running or using the cross trainer just from protein? things like shakes or tins of fish? I am not doing well at all with my sugar cravings and i am easily having on average over 100g a day, trying to cut it out is proving difficult. Bad sugar seems to be the only thing that can energise me. I crave it, a lot 

i do enjoy my tins of sardines, however i get concerned that with no carbs, i wont have the energy to do my walking, weights, etc 

You've probably got a horrific sugar addiction going on there. I'd say you need to reduce that immediately, can't imagine what it's doing to your teeth and insides. I don't find protein gives me energy as such, in fact it makes me feel full and less able to work out. Have you tried getting a decent pre-workout? Most don't have sugar in just a load of caffeine and other stuff which I find fixes me up for my work out when i'm feeling low. But still you need to cycle in and out of it or it becomes a bit useless.

Is there any reason you are not eating carbs either? They are essential in our diet and it doesn't mean you have to eat a load of bread or chips. Plenty of healthier cheap alternatives even just regular potatoes boiled or baked would be fine in moderation to give you a bit more of an energy base. 

3 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Indeed i do, its a source of comfort and fills a void, that's what i reckon anyway. I was thinking of pre workout but didn't want to be so high that i would be back to my original home of outer space, whats things can i take that will help? i workout early and often i dont feel like eating. Are BCAA's worth it? i wan to cut down on carbs, mostly due to blood sugar and i find them addictive, i do like my fruit but i get concerned about the carb content 

I wouldn't say it made me go out of it in any way but i'm not sure if the caffeine has an unusual effect on you. If not then I would say you'd be alright with it. There's hundreds of brands and I couldn't tell you what was actually best as I have a limited selection out here. I had a pot of BCAA and apart from making my workout drink a little bit more tasty I don't really think it did much. Different "experts" tell you different things about all of them and i'm sure most of the time it just depends on your own biology. If you pop into some places like Holland and Barratt or other supplement stores they sometimes have 1 serving sachets for sale. Holland and Barrat have a monthly magazine too for 1.99 which is as good a read as the 5 quid mags you can buy, they often come with samples too, when I was home they had one issue with a sachet of BCAA, pre workout, some energy tablet and a protein bar (which was normally more than the magazine itself) I ended up buying like 4 or 5 issues over the 2 weeks. It also has amazing vouchers for the products with up to 50% off.

Still think you should try to eat some low sugar carbs each day although I don't eat before a morning workout either. 

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

thank you, in terms of lsc, what do u recommend? i like oats if they count 

apparently they do, just don't sugar them up! Sweet potato is meant to be another one. Chickpeas perhaps and of course Bananas. I don't really worry about my carbs too much as i'm making steady but slow progress and don't really have a need to be ripped in a short space of time but those are a few i'm aware of that I like eating/ cooking with. 

Edited by simonworden

Taking a high caffeine pre-workout to get you through a several hour walk is a bad idea. Totally not fit for purpose. That sort of product is way more suited for a shorter, intense resistance workout.

You'd be better off eating sensible volumes of carbohydrate (drives me mental when people think all carbs are pure evil and must be avoided at all costs) like oats, rice, potatoes with a good source of protein, fibre and plenty of water. You'll have much more energy.

I've lifted weights on average of 4 times a week for years now, the only intra-workout supplement I've ever experimented with is TriCarb. I found it pretty useful in combatting muscle fatigue and getting a few more reps out when doing long, high volume workouts now that I am over 30. I've known a lot of strongmen to snack on high sugar stuff mid-workout for similar effects but I would rather not look like a fat prick. (no offense to fat pricks)

Your problem is very clearly not carbs or poor supplementation though, its almost surely lethargy from the comedown of being quite literally addicted to biccies and cereal. Your system will be knackered from processing the madness you force it to endure with your diet etc.

Edited by Ironic Indie Lad

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Ralphy said:

Anyone ever had an MRI before? got to go for one on my nervous system in around a month, very, um, nervous about it 

Yes I've had two. One on my knee and one on my shoulder. The shoulder one meant I went in the tube head first which is a bit claustrophobic but they gave me headphones and I just relaxed and closed my eyes. The machine is a bit noisey but it's really not a bad thing, was done in about 30 mins.