The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying running recently more than I ever have in my life, been getting a proper buzz from it. Ran my first 10k at the weekend in 56:21 which I'm chuffed with. 

The improvements in time and pacing over the last few weeks have been huge which I'm not sure is due to running or down to how unfit I was so any improvement seems huge. 

Anyway the point if this post is to ask if anyone has good shoulder stretches or exercises? It was pissing down during the last 1.5km of my 10k and I was knackered so my form dipped and my shoulders have been agony ever since. 

• Paid Members

Had my latest appointment at the doctor's yesterday. I've lost 2.5kg from my last one in April, she took a fair bit of blood and told me if there was anything bad she'd let me know. Hopefully when I can go back to work and be more active I'll start shifting a bit more weight as well. Eh, what happens happens. 

1 hour ago, Ralphy said:

What android app(s) do people on here use to measure walking distance/steps? The one i have been using for a while is seemingly very inaccurate. I am now using the map my walk app, and just this morning, it says i have done 4.20miles, compared to the 3.26 miles it says on the old, pre installed app i have been using for a while

It is very frustrating that i have been seemingly walking much further than i had previously thought, i had a hunch it wasnt accurate

Strava tbh

• Paid Members

Been doing the "25 press ups over 25 days" thing on Facebook after a friend tagged me. Today was day 23 and I managed to do them all without needing to put my knees down. 

She also messaged me last night to tell me what an inspiration I was for managing to do them, and the progress I made with my diabetes, I think also because I share some stuff on there which is wholesome memes from other pages, or me talking about my own mental health. 

Ironically she's now behind me in the press ups because she found out she's pregnant and so has slowed them down, but it was nice. 

EDIT. I also got my blood results back from the doctor's on Friday. My HbA1c is down to 37, which is non-Diabetic, my cholesterol is 3.9 and my liver function is normal. She's said I can start reducing my Metformin dosage from 4 tablets a day to 3, which I think I'll start doing when my next prescription comes in in a couple of weeks. Next round of bloods in 3 months again, so start of October. I'll have been back in work for a couple of months by then as well. So let's see how we are. As a treat I had a pizza from the supermarket on Saturday night. If I get good news next time around I'll probably treat myself to a pizza again. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz
Not double posting

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Folks.

I am thinking of getting myself a mountain bike .

its been 30 years since I last had a bike , my dad lives in the country and I send one night a week with him so was thinking I could keep it there and take it when I need it. 

As I mentioned it has been 30 years so I am bit clueless on what to buy, how much to pay etc....

in short I’d be looking for something that I could cycle on roads and trails (so I guess I would need a mountain bike).

My boot in my car is quite small so I was thinking I may need something that I can pop the tyres off of easily when on the go.

i would be cycling it on the road also so ideally something that is suitable for both ???

Any ideas or suggestions or sites that are decent that I could take a look at ?

Thanks. 

• Paid Members

Turns out I’m brutally lactose intolerant now. Because I haven’t been for 30 years I keep forgetting and today had some cheesecake. Needless to say my arse hole isn’t thrilled.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

Cheers Ralphy but I’m not overly a big Dairy guy anyway. We’d already moved to Oat Milk and aside from the odd bit of cheese on a meal or cheesecake for someone’s birthday like yesterday, I rarely have it.

• 8 months later...
Just now, Keith Houchen said:

It is. Unfortunately it was being used against people posting in it in real life. 

Fook. That doesnt sound good for someone’s mental health....

Right i might have a whinge here if thats ok ?

I just cant get going today, i am moping around the house with a face like a smacked arse on me.

My wife is away for the day , i was just lying in bed till about 2pm doing nothing productive .

I know that i will regret wasting the day later .

Anybody have any tips for days when you just cant get started ?

32 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

Fook. That doesnt sound good for someone’s mental health....

Right i might have a whinge here if thats ok ?

I just cant get going today, i am moping around the house with a face like a smacked arse on me.

My wife is away for the day , i was just lying in bed till about 2pm doing nothing productive .

I know that i will regret wasting the day later .

Anybody have any tips for days when you just cant get started ?

Break the day up into little windows and set goals, no matter how small. "By 9am I'll have got up and made a coffee" "By 10am ill have washed up" (rock and roll lifestyle)  etc. Before you know it, it's late in the day and you've nearly got your wife coming home to look forward to. This might seem like wishing the day away, but I find it helps me.

But even if you don't 'achieve' these goals, don't worry too much about it.

I've learnt that even if I 'waste the day' watching films/looking at football shirts/staring at the walls, i don't beat myself up about it too much. If that's how I spent the day, so be it!

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Break the day up into little windows and set goals, no matter how small. "By 9am I'll have got up and made a coffee" "By 10am ill have washed up" (rock and roll lifestyle)  etc. Before you know it, it's late in the day and you've nearly got your wife coming home to look forward to. This might seem like wishing the day away, but I find it helps me.

But even if you don't 'achieve' these goals, don't worry too much about it.

I've learnt that even if I 'waste the day' watching films/looking at football shirts/staring at the walls, i don't beat myself up about it too much. If that's how I spent the day, so be it!

Thank you. 
I do tend to beat myself up if i feel like i’ve done nothing . My dad was an awful hard worker and i dont like lounging around unless i fell like i’ve earned it if you know what i mean.
Good idea, i’ll start to make a list maybe as you’ve suggested.

Thanks again.