The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

@Shy Dad if you get intimidated by the gym, why not cancel the membership and maybe use that money for a PT instead?

Most of them work around you and your schedule, and you could do early morning or late evening when most people in the park are only interested in picking up their dog shit (even during the day most people aren't interested in what anyone else is doing tbh)

Plus, most of them are sound people (as they rely on word of mouth) and do more than just exercise, with things like meal plans, nutritional advice etc.

Best of luck whatever you do mate.

5 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

I'm not even eating any differently, probably better, I've noticed a bit of weight come off recently so I do think while I was living in Weston I must have been close or at 14 stone. 

I know it’s not quite the exercise related advice you were after, but I highly recommend My Fitness Pal in regards to this part. I’ve always been fairly slim and can’t say I’ve ever struggled with my weight, but a few years ago I started to notice a belly forming so I used the app to track my daily calories, and I was shocked how much I was eating in a single day. 3000+ calories easily, and it didn’t even seem like I was eating much.

You mentioned you’re eating better, and I know you cook a lot of your food yourself so you know what’s going into it, but it’s worth tracking everything on there for a few days to see how you get on. You may be eating far more calories than you think, and if that’s the case then making a few dietary adjustments can make a big difference.

• Paid Members

I find home training useful so would definitely suggest looking into that. Loads of apps and youtube channels that may help and it can be a good way to find something you enjoy.

Also recommend myfitnesspal as a good way to track food. Can be enlightening.

I’d also say to try to not be too hard on yourself from photos. They can be excellent motivation but they can also be misleading. Lighting, angles, who you’re with and what you’re doing all play a part. Everyone also ages even though it’s easy to believe others don’t.

If the main issue for you is weight loss, then 99% of your focus should be on your nutrition, not the exercise. Judging from your post, you seem to think that going to the gym/exercising will fix the weight problem. It wont. At the moment, Id recommend not even worrying about the gym, DDP yoga, personal trainers, the whole lot, its just a waste of time and avoiding the main issue of losing weight. Just go for walks wherever you feel comfortable, and focus all your effort on the food and drink side. Sort that out, stick to a certain amount of calories, and you'll lose weight without even stepping foot in a gym. Once youre on a good path and losing weight from the nutrition (not diet), then you can start to introduce some home workouts to increase fitness.

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

For the first time in over 10 years, today I finally joined - and even visited - an actual gymnasium! 

For the first time in a long time, work is a little bit calmer and we now have a much bigger team from when I first started the job. For a long time I'd prioritised work over most things. I love the job, it's brilliant, but when we had a smaller team it would start to consume you pretty quickly because of the volume of work, plus in my line of work plans could change very quickly. I was also on the road constantly - I basically did about five years straight of constant travel. All gladly of course, but it started to catch up to me just before the pandemic, and then again when we started going back out on the road. 

Now I'm in management and we've got a much bigger team, I can finally start to look after myself a bit more. I've been getting to the office a bit earlier in the mornings (partly to beat the awful London traffic) and by doing morning gym sessions I can get in a great workout before work. 

Not going to do any mad plans in the beginning - today just tested out a few machines and did a few basic bits and bobs without setting any world record or auditioning for Mr. Universe. But I got a real buzz out of it and at the risk of self-aggrandising, I was really proud of myself. I was nervous/apprehensive about heading in. But I went with a couple of work colleagues who are already members and they made it really fun and a supportive environment. And the gym itself was a decent layout - not too big, not too small, good air con, machines dead easy to work and get used to, etc. It was also pretty quiet and most of the machines were free at all times - so I think doing mornings at this place are definitely going to be the best bet. 

Diet will be the next thing I need to sort but for once I'm actually excited about getting fitter and healthier and not dreading it. I might even get back on Couch to 5K, but do it via the treadmill rather than running outside. Which the purists may scoff at, but they can fight me with my newly chiselled physique if they disagree. 

...Heartbreakingly, the gym I've just joined was once a snooker hall. If only they still had tables - I could run a marathon on the treadmill and then nip downstairs for a knockabout on the baize afterwards. 

My girlfriend had an appointment with the GP and after she checked her eye, she sent her to hospital. She now has to get an optician check out her eye to see what to do next. Her usual optician is Specsavers in the city centre. I suggested she try the one in Stretford Mall as it’s closer and not as busy, so her ASD won’t be set off as much. She thanked me for the thoughtful suggestion and has booked in there for tomorrow lunchtime. It’ll be fine but I thought it better to be safe than sorry so that’s why I was adamant about Stretford Mall. 

Completely Unrelated, Stretford Mall has a Pound Bakery and is in no way connected to my insistence on going Stretford Mall instead of town. Minced beef and onion pasties!!

• 4 months later...

Random fitness survey :

1. What age, height and weight are you ?

2.What exercise or fitness regime are you doing currently?

3.How many Km could you run at present?

4. How many press ups could you ? 
5.How many squats could you do ?

6. How many pull ups could you do ?

Edited by Browser Brady

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Browser Brady said:

Random fitness survey :

1. What age, height and weight are you ?

2.What exercise or fitness regime are you doing currently?

3.How many Km could you run at present?

4. How many press ups could you ? 
5.How many squats could you do ?

6. How many pull ups could you do ?

Do we have to provide "side on" pics?

Edited by mim731

12 hours ago, Browser Brady said:

Random fitness survey :

1. What age, height and weight are you ? 34, 6:2, 11 stone

2.What exercise or fitness regime are you doing currently? All of them

3.How many Km could you run at present? 8000

4. How many press ups could you ? 734 every two hours
5.How many squats could you do ? 650

6. How many pull ups could you do ? 227 

Having an op done today but NHS outsourced it to one of those Spire hospitals so it’s essentially going private with the NHS picking up the tab.  Got a room all to myself and already had my food order taken for when I wake up, but I feel like a right Tory. Fittingly the op is to do with my balls because I feel like I’m losing them and any left wing credentials.