The Health and Fitness Thread

ShortOrderCook

12 minutes ago, RancidPunx said:

My dad was an awful hard worker and i dont like lounging around unless i fell like i’ve earned it if you know what i mean.

Yeah I get that and my Dad is the same in that he ALWAYS has to be doing something, and he'd never sit on the sofa all day watching the Major League films back to back like me, but I've stopped comparing myself to other peoples "busyness" or whatever and just accept that sometimes that's just what happens.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your day, whatever you do.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Break the day up into little windows and set goals, no matter how small. "By 9am I'll have got up and made a coffee" "By 10am ill have washed up" (rock and roll lifestyle)  etc. Before you know it, it's late in the day and you've nearly got your wife coming home to look forward to. This might seem like wishing the day away, but I find it helps me.

But even if you don't 'achieve' these goals, don't worry too much about it.

I've learnt that even if I 'waste the day' watching films/looking at football shirts/staring at the walls, i don't beat myself up about it too much. If that's how I spent the day, so be it!

This is really solid advice. When I was going through a really tough patch a few years ago doing the whole "micro goals" thing (I like to think I coined that term but I suspect someone far more qualified and knowledgeable was already using it) really helped. The little victories are sometimes enough, and they are still victories regardless of size. 

Edited by mim731
Spelling (not witchcraft)

Anyone tried the Body Coach app? I'm enjoying it, and more importantly, sticking to it. I'm currently on cycle (month) three, and have noticed significant changes, to weight, measurements, sleep and energy levels. I can't compare it to anything else, as it's the only regime I've stuck to, but I recommend it, so long as his voice doesn't grate too much.  

54 minutes ago, ThumpSquids said:

Anyone tried the Body Coach app? I'm enjoying it, and more importantly, sticking to it. I'm currently on cycle (month) three, and have noticed significant changes, to weight, measurements, sleep and energy levels. I can't compare it to anything else, as it's the only regime I've stuck to, but I recommend it, so long as his voice doesn't grate too much.  

How easy is it to keep to? Are the recipes easy to make?

On 4/17/2021 at 3:54 PM, RancidPunx said:

Fook. That doesnt sound good for someone’s mental health....

Right i might have a whinge here if thats ok ?

I just cant get going today, i am moping around the house with a face like a smacked arse on me.

My wife is away for the day , i was just lying in bed till about 2pm doing nothing productive .

I know that i will regret wasting the day later .

Anybody have any tips for days when you just cant get started ?

I've found sometimes just accepting this will happen and allowing the day to take whatever form it will is fine. Obviously one doesn't wanna just spend every day doing such a thing but I've found (particularly in the last year) there's just days where I can seem to get it up for life and trying to ends up making it a big thing "i'm feeling rubbish, i'm going to feel rubbish forever" etc etc. I'm pretty gotta make the most of all time always and so get frustrated when the energy's not there, but that then seems to sap me more. Allowing days to be whatever they are (then reflecting at the end on what I actually did / what was nice about the day) seems to stop those days from becoming weeks/months

22 hours ago, stewdogg said:

How easy is it to keep to? Are the recipes easy to make?

The workouts, (4-5 per week, 25-35 mins) have been fine. From some time being semi-active, to feeling energised enough to be looking forward to each workout, and seeing physical change over a short period of time, has been very positive for me. 

The recipes have been occasionally repetitive, but largely enjoyable. I'm a vege, so that cut down some of the variety. The initial outlay for ingredients is more expensive than our regular shop, but I've enjoyed spending more time in the kitchen, and cutting right back on snacks, which has always been my downfall. I'll eat when I'm bored. I'm not hungry, but I'll still eat, because it's there. I've mostly stopped that now, entirely some weeks, and when I do treat myself to a beer or few crisps, it seems warranted, rather than simply habit.

I think there's a free week trial at the moment, so well worth a look. The wife is about to sign up too. I was never slim, or in shape, as anyone who saw my old matches will attest, but at 43 years old, I'm really enjoying taking control over how I look for once. The app has helped.    

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I'm seriously struggling with my appearance and how I look at the moment and a lot of it is down to the weight I've put on the last year or so. I've always had issues with my appearance but having recently found a photo of me from around 8 years ago and seeing the shape of my face and just how unhealthy I look now, it's seriously bugging me out what I look like now.

I'm tipping the scale now at around 13 and a half stone, which on someone 5 foot 7 on a good day just seems highly problematic. The issue I have is I struggle to go to the gym by myself because of my anxiety and that makes even going for walks or runs at times difficult as it can lead into vertigo if I try and take the scenic more hilly routes or worrying when running by roads about cars and bikes and stuff. It's all mad stupid I know but it's how I've always been.

I hate using the gym because I feel like all the guys in there in their groups of 3 are watching me when I go around or that I'm in the way of someone wanting to use a machine. I've tried to get mates to go with me but they go on a moment's notice and I'm the type who needs to plan all of his day. 

I'm not even eating any differently, probably better, I've noticed a bit of weight come off recently so I do think while I was living in Weston I must have been close or at 14 stone. 

Has anyone got any advice on how to get over the anxiety of working out? Is there anyone who struggles with it and has any tips that can help as right now I'm terrified about the summer and what I may look like.

For reference that's a photo of me at 20 compared with a photo of me last week at 28. I don't understand how in 8 years I've aged 15 (yes the moustache doesn't help) but people have been noticing more lately that I'm deeply unhappy in how I look.

FB_IMG_1620131911218.jpg

Snapchat-1362625535.jpg

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Has anyone got any advice on how to get over the anxiety of working out? Is there anyone who struggles with it and has any tips that can help as right now I'm terrified about the summer and what I may look like.

Is it worth seeing if you could do some stuff at home til you feel a bit more confident? Joe Wicks, or DDP yoga, or Hasfit all have a varying degree of free stuff on YouTube. much of it requires little to no equipment and it's in small increments. Just a thought to get you started while you build your confidence back up to going to the gym/running/whatever exercise you choose. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Is it worth seeing if you could do some stuff at home til you feel a bit more confident? Joe Wicks, or DDP yoga, or Hasfit all have a varying degree of free stuff on YouTube. much of it requires little to no equipment and it's in small increments. Just a thought to get you started while you build your confidence back up to going to the gym/running/whatever exercise you choose. 

That's a really good shout, thanks mim. The DDP yoga obviously has great reviews, I'll have a look at Hasfit as well.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

That's a really good shout, thanks mim. The DDP yoga obviously has great reviews, I'll have a look at Hasfit as well.

My wife was doing the Body Project on YouTube. We ended up paying for a years membership to their app which was about £80 and she does at least 10 a week, I do about 5 currently. But they have plans for all ages/sizes/abilities. I've been impressed so far.

• Paid Members

@Shy Dad Do you have any canals by you that you can use to run on? I used to hate roadrunning as constantly stopping for traffic/pedestrians/whatever got on my tits, but since going on a canal route last year I'm enjoying running more than ever. Obviously you'll have the odd bridge but for the most part the route should be fairly flat, and there's less people around than on the road. The only people I really see on my route are other joggers and old men fishing.

Edited by Lorne Malvo

• Paid Members

The dyspraxia stops me being able to ride a bike or a skateboard these days, I can fall over standing still.

Ive got a nice river path that goes through a park and stuff but it gets quite busy during the days, I'm sure I'll find something comfortable. I recently found some good national trust pathways that while a little bumpy give me two miles or so of freedom from people and cars.

Another voice for DDP Yoga being great. I know for some the gym helps because they're commiting to something and it forces them out but yeah for me not having to worry about what others think makes me much more likely to work out

Also I found that because I don't have to go somewhere it's much easier to squeeze in a workout to a busier day (the quickest ones are about 20 min). The more you get into the habit of doing it daily the easier everything becomes..

Whilst a yoga mat and a heart rate monitor are fairly handy (the former being about 15 quid and the latter 30) they're not necessary, especially for the simpler routines. I think there's a free trial on the website and if not it's possible if you know how to use things that rhyme with Splorrents that a version can be tried before you buyed through those..

Edited by organizedkaos