The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Watched that Elias / Owens segment. Ā Fantastic. Ā Elias's knowing smirk after his delivery was top notch. Ā Also great to hear Detlef Schrempf get a mention on commentary by the woman commentating. Ā He and Shawn Kemp were my favourite forward line in the NBA at the time.

• Paid Members

Great show overall. There wereĀ a couple ofĀ things on the show though that bugged me massively.

Lot's of good discussion on here recently about how Raw (and WWE in general) is put together and also why people continue to watch the WWE product if there's so many things they dislike about it from a creative standpoint. Again, lots of valid points and discussion across the threads where this has cropped up.Ā 

This show threw up a good example which explains my own thought process somewhat. There are several elements about the modern-day WWE product I really like. NXT is top notch, Smackers isĀ a pleasure to watch, and even Raw has improved in the last couple of weeks. There's a lot to like. But where people still get frustrated, and justifiably so, is when you get some really baffling booking and/or creative decisions that make no true rhyme or reason, which is a clear detriment to the people involved and anyone in their right mind can see that it's a stupid call to make.Ā 

I know it's only the Revival, but last week they had a barnstormer of a tag team title match with Drew and Dolph. They lost, but I thought they looked really convincing in doing so and they'd restored a bit of goodwill amongst the fanbase with them. It even looked like it could spark a new direction for them, maybe a run as a babyface team if you wanted to be a bit ambitious. And what do they do? They have them lose to the B-Team. And then the B-Team in turn get squashed by the AOP, which just makes them look even worseĀ than the B-Team by comparison - beaten by a shit team, who then get shown up to be a shit team, thus making them look like an even shitter team.Ā 

They could have done this in so many different ways. Attack Axel/Dallas on the way to the ring, maybe attack both teams in the middle of the match to make it a no contest. No issue with them making AOP look dominant at the expense of Axel/Dallas but why waste the work you've just done on restoring a small shred of credibility back to the Revival? Is there really nothing else they could do with them? Do they really think that little of them? Wasteful. How has nobody looked at that and gone 'that makes the Revival looka bit shit, actually, can we re-arrange things/do something different with them before we sign this off?'

Another one - this Roode/Gable vs Ascension bollocks. I know Roode/Gable are performing as a team for all intents and purposes here, but essentially they're two singles acts. So how is it that the singles guys have won the tag matches, but the tag guys have won the singles matches? It's just arse-backwards (the 50/50 nonsense and the fact that nobody cares about it also doesn't help their collective cause).Ā 

I'mĀ massively over-reacting but it's little booking annoyances like this that really grinds ones gears, forcing one to take to their keyboard, hide behind their computer and voice/type out their displeasure in a huff.Ā I think if anything it's more frustrating when you see that they clearly can write good storylines on their shows (not just NXT) these days, but basic things like those are often forgotten when it comes to the midcard acts. Vince out. Writers out. Sack the board! Definitely not watching Raw again now. At least until next week.Ā 

Edited by Fatty Facesitter

If only they'd had the foresight to have John Cena at RAW this week, the face pop if he'd come out instead of Leo Rush would have taken the roof off the place. Ā That was some crowd reaction. Ā Elias is the best heat magnet they've had in years, but it's clear they've no idea what to do with him apart from this. Ā They need to do SOMETHING though, because he gets good heel reactions almost all the time.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Loki said:

If only they'd had the foresight to have John Cena at RAW this week, the face pop if he'd come out instead of Leo Rush would have taken the roof off the place. Ā That was some crowd reaction. Ā Elias is the best heat magnet they've had in years, but it's clear they've no idea what to do with him apart from this. Ā They need to do SOMETHING though, because he gets good heel reactions almost all the time.

I'm guessing this is in part due to him being in China. It'll take him roughly eight hours to fly across to Australia from there - there's not much point in flying him from China to Seattle, then Seattle to Melbourne. Agree it would've added a bit of spice, alas I get it as a logistical issue.Ā 

• Paid Members

Absolutely crazy scenes in that Elias and Kevin Owens segment. I thought there was something wrong with my phone's speaker, there was that much noise being created. Actual, proper heat. Beautiful stuff. Imagine that noiseĀ inside the arena. Everyone that was there must be away to buy a hearing aid today.Ā 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DCW said:

Finn Balor arsing around with Bayley is another minor irritation of mine. Supposedly utra cool, mysterious demon like character knocking about with WWE's female Eugene. Does nothing for him.

They've got t-shirts to sell. The MMC has been extended this series into a lengthy round robin, and my pondering as to why ended when I saw they're flogging a t-shirt of every team so they want time for folk gullible enough to want one to buy one and it come without Mahalicia to be knocked out after one match. The cynical flogger of t-shirts in me is delighted by this attempt to turn their charming but meaningless throwaway Network gubbins into another revenue stream.

I was going to make a point about the pair's activity on social networks and the "reality era" booking being a reflection of that, but I'm not sure it holds up after the amount of campaigning they did last series to be paired up, only for the writers to put Balor with Sasha instead. Nearly as good a "fuck you, Bayley" as her tenure on Raw had been booked to that point.

As a second aside, to add to the complaints we've all made about certain commentary quirks and habits being really annoying, it absolutely boils my piss during the MMC when they say "last year" in reference to last series/season when it wrapped up the week of Mania. That's 2018 Mania, the year we're still in. Not last year at all. Makes them sound thick as fuck to me.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, air_raid said:

As a second aside, to add to the complaints we've all made about certain commentary quirks and habits being really annoying, it absolutely boils my piss during the MMC when they say "last year" in reference to last series/season when it wrapped up the week of Mania. That's 2018 Mania, the year we're still in. Not last year at all. Makes them sound thick as fuck to me.

Just wait until January rolls around and they start promotingĀ the 35th Anniversary of Wrestlemania.

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Just wait until January rolls around and they start promotingĀ the 35th Anniversary of Wrestlemania.

Hilariously I was watching Starrcade 93 and Schiavone once (only once mind) erroneously referred to it as the tenth anniversary. Well, I found it hilarious that WWE could replicate WCWs mistake. Not the only time, obvs.