The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

I don't think I've properly watched a RAW since the night after Mania and that was shite too.

Worrying as I will generally still watch through the shit weeks but I'm not even fast forward watching anymore.

Dull, bland and generally uninteresting. Raw is esp just p.bad right now and I prob won't even FF last night' either as I just don't care enough to. Plenty of talent out there but the booking and the lack of good stories are killing any enjoyment we try and salvage right now.

Is it a case that WWE has become too much like the indies used to be? WWE was always about the entertainment, drama and the story. Now it's just wrestlers having steady matches with no real direction or story.

I think WWE TV, and Raw in particular, is stuck in an "every show is a PPV!" mentality. The Network and their YT is full of a ton of great content - funnily enough, where the talent are mostly coming up with their own content and being themselves - but it's all on the fringes, hidden behind the flat, overproduced TV product. No doubt they're under pressure to cater to the live crowds, but the lack of a mainstream "magazine" show is hurting the characters and storylines, leaving it to the same tired writing process to try (and mostly fail) to manufacture lightning to be bottled. We're stuck with filler matches that are too long to be filler, overexpositional face-to-camera promos instead of in-match incident, hotshotting from top to bottom, and a simultaneously ultrafit and broken down roster. So many paradoxes, but ultimately, it just ends up as dismal, monotonously paced, and uninspired.

Or maybe the product just isn't for me anymore? Business is booming and kids seem to love it still.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CavemanLynn said:

Business is booming and kids seem to love it still.

Do they though? I have two kids and I can reel off about a dozen things they and their friends are into, and WWE isn't one of them. The merch seems to be dying away somewhat over here too. Maybe kids in the States are into it, I don't know. I'd say their biggest audience seems to be young adults these days, a niche audience at that.

The Jax / Rousey storyline is particularly terrible.  So this week, Jax accidentally injures her friend in a competitive match, and when she goes to check up on her, Rousey gets all in her face, gatekeeping on someone she's only known for a few months... and Rousey is the FACE here?  She's not acting that way, she was clearly in the wrong this week.

I stopped watching Raw for ages, and I think I might give it up again after this - it's 2-odd hours of your life you're never going to get back.  Just... nothing cool happens, none of the matches have any reason behind them.  It's dismally dull.  You know what it needs?  Another heel authority figure *sigh*

The Nia Jax/Rousey thing was bizarre - no idea what theyre going for.

Jax didn't even cause the injury - it was done when Natalya was running the ropes - Jax just was just checking on her and Rousey got proper short with her. it made no sense.

Just throwing it out there, but does not having a champion around as the focal point of the show hurt Raw more than WWE thought it might - in terms of the actual TV product I mean.  I appreciate that the champion cannot dominate and carry the show from top to bottom, but without having it there, they are losing a major plot device that would (often) be the main focus, and so having to move everything "up" in terms of importance, which doesn't work at the lower end of the card?

• Paid Members

The title not being on the show is definitely a big problem for me anyway. It just makes mostly everything and everyone seem aimless and there's no real direction in place. The sooner Brock drops the belt, the better.

There's still enough I enjoy on the show to keep me watching, but it's definitely more skippable than I can remember in years. Even Seth's horrendous heel run with the belt wasn't this dull. Guys like Zayn, Balor and Owens are still doing good work but there's no meaning behind anything they do. Rollins and maybe Strowman are the only people on the roster right now with anything that feels like momentum.

I do think Corbin is a good dickhead heel though so I'm actually on board with this Constable Corbin story.

How much promo work has Brock done for WWE while not being on TV? If he's being used to drum up interest in other markets, hype feuds via other outlets, and generally still being actively used as an asset to get more money through the gate, then the champ not being on the show is fine. If he really is sitting at home, training as a hobby, tossing logs, eating sharks, etc, then, well, hmm.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, CavemanLynn said:

How much promo work has Brock done for WWE while not being on TV? 

He doesn't even do his own promo work when he IS on WWE TV so I'd hazard a guess at "not much."

8 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's going to sound like a broken record but Raw is just too long. They can have as good a roster as they want but it just doesn't need to be 3+ hours every week. It's too much.

Given the money it brings in, it definitely does need to be three hours long. Cutting it to two hours isn't going to cause a spike in ticket sales and network subscriptions that would make up for the reduced TV revenue, nor would it stop us complaining.