The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Cutting to 2hrs would be much more enjoyable, but USA Network want 3hrs for the money they pay for it, so the third hour ain’t going anywhere. We’ve seen them put on the “main event” during the second hour a fair few times because they know that third hour loses viewers. If they could tinker with the format and have the third as some sort of panel review like what they had with Talking Smack over on Smackdown to discuss the show it might freshen it up a bit but it would depend how whether or not USA Network would allow it, I don’t know how much influence they have on the show outside of saying “we want a TV-PG product”.

As for Brock as champion not being around, it’s certainly a hinderence but they could do other things to fill the gap. Other wrestlers should be making it known they want a shot at the title and name dropping him. “I want to fight Brock”, “No! I want to fight Brock”, “I want to fight Brock and so does my wife” and so on. Everyone on the roster should be competing to be the champion, otherwise what’s the point of being there? Weird as it may be, Curt Hawkins has lost 200 matches, but he’s still competing to win in the hope of being the guy. It won’t happen, but that is his intention. Then again, “wins and losses don’t matter” do they?

Everyone competing for a title match and referencing Brock, it keeps Brock, and therefore the title, in the audience’s consciousness. On the flip side of that, they’ve done right by not having him there wrestling every week or every other week, him competing should be an attraction, that’s promotion101. The issue is that when he does appear, it’s the same routine everytime- Heyman doing the mic-work and a wild brawl. That could be Brock not wanting to do anything, which wouldn’t be a shock, or they don’t know what to do with him anymore. Presumably he is appearing soon, because next Wednesday he’ll have been champion for 438 Days, passing CM Punk’s modern record and thus the longest reign in 30 years. Get the writer’s in a room and make something of that for Christ’s sake

Edited by WyattSheepMask

22 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's going to sound like a broken record but Raw is just too long. They can have as good a roster as they want but it just doesn't need to be 3+ hours every week. It's too much.

I probably agree that it doesn't "need" to be three hours each week, but it would surely be easier to write a better quality show to fill the time that they have if they had the champ as a focal point - as I said earlier, without it, everything else shuffles up in terms of importance, and you have to fill the time that you are left with as a result with stuff that just wouldn't make TV otherwise.

• Paid Members

Maybe just me, but I don't mind the belt being on Brock or another part-timer, like Goldberg. It's a shame Lesnar has a clue and won't do much with most of the 50/50 crew, but the belt feels more prestiges on him than, say, Kevin Owens.

Edited by ColinBollocks

1 hour ago, FourtyTwo said:

I probably agree that it doesn't "need" to be three hours each week, but it would surely be easier to write a better quality show to fill the time that they have if they had the champ as a focal point - as I said earlier, without it, everything else shuffles up in terms of importance, and you have to fill the time that you are left with as a result with stuff that just wouldn't make TV otherwise.

Even with that I can't see them throwing out a decent quality 3+ hour show every week. It is too much, regardless of how much money they get from it etc. From a quality standpoint it's impossible to maintain a consistently decent standard plus even the most loyal of fans are suffering from burnout. 

15 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

And yet allegedly FOX wanted to cut it to two for the same fees. Gutted they got SmackDown and not Raw. 

Fox wanted to cut it to Two hours because they don't have a third hour, that goes to local news all around the country, CBS, NBC & ABC do but Fox had to buy local TV stations to eventually become a free TV network, the others have always been networks. They can over run through it when live sports are on but WWE isn't a sport and can be told when to stop exactly on time.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, the_mole said:

Fox wanted to cut it to Two hours because they don't have a third hour, that goes to local news all around the country, CBS, NBC & ABC do but Fox had to buy local TV stations to eventually become a free TV network, the others have always been networks. They can over run through it when live sports are on but WWE isn't a sport and can be told when to stop exactly on time.

That would be ideal. No 3 hours and 15 minute overrun!

• Paid Members

This Ronda vs. Nia feud is unbelievable. It's the most disjointed mess I've ever seen. Every week it's like they bring in a new (shit) writer, who's not allowed any knowledge of what's happened in the weeks prior. 

That is true about the Rousey/Nia feud, but WWE on the whole has that feeling a lot of the time:

15 hours ago, Supremo said:

WWE is unbelievable. It's the most disjointed mess I've ever seen. Every week it's like they bring in a new (shit) writer, who's not allowed any knowledge of what's happened in the weeks prior. 

• Paid Members

So Ronda was just announced as going into the UFC Hall of Fame. To announce it they released this video. Watch this.

Fuck me. If WWE's handling of Ronda since Wrestlemania wasn't bad enough, that video really hammers it home. It's night and day. They took this megastar and turned her into just another woman on the roster. You wouldn't even believe that is the same person having this clunky, nonsensical, dogshit feud with Nia Jax. They should be ashamed of themselves. 

Edited by Supremo

WWE are just stuck between a rock and a hard place with Ronda. In the sense that if they make her a special attraction like Brock appearing every few months then fans may take a dislike to her, but at the same time having her on TV every week is just to much and repetitive. 

They needed to use her wisely and not just for the sake of it. Even if it was showing up on PPV only in matches, something like to earn her title shot she has to beat everybody and line up one person per PPV (think Goldberg type squashes).

Anything but what they are doing now really.

Don’t blame having her on TV every week as a reason for her aura to fade. They can have people on TV every week and still be stars by booking them like stars and giving them something good to do every week. 

They don’t need to use her wisely, they just need to use her well. Literally giving her a squash match every week would be better than the dogshit they have her doing at the moment. She shines when the intensity comes on and she wrecks people, just get her doing that for five minutes a week and the fans would go batshit. 

Asuka never needed a break and NXT just kept making her star bigger. In fact that run should have been the perfect template for Ronda. WWE fucked it though, just like they fuck everything. Can you imagine how shit the product would be right now if they hadn’t assembled such an incredible roster? Imagine watching Kenzo Suzuki and Rene Dupree trading meaningless wins every week

On 10 June 2018 at 4:11 AM, Supremo said:

So Ronda was just announced as going into the UFC Hall of Fame. To announce it they released this video. Watch this.

Fuck me. If WWE's handling of Ronda since Wrestlemania wasn't bad enough, that video really hammers it home. It's night and day. They took this megastar and turned her into just another woman on the roster. You wouldn't even believe that is the same person having this clunky, nonsensical, dogshit feud with Nia Jax. They should be ashamed of themselves. 

Just look at her entrances in that UFC video - that aggression, that focus.  That's what made her a superstar - that intensity once she was in the arena.  Shit was going to happen, the crowd starting hyping themselves.

By comparison her WWE entrances are her smiling and waving.  Like a royal or something.  Or Bayley.

I'd definitely book her more like Brock - as a legit force of nature.  Keep her away from the other female roster, keep her out of backstage skits, just have her come down and duff people up once every few weeks, put her over some people at PPVs, and build to a big deal title match.  It's not a formula you can do with everyone, but definitely her it fits.

So far she's been fucking great in the actual Wrestlemania match and awful outside of it.