Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Paid Members

It was a decent set up episode. The CGI deserves all the derision it's getting. We heard about delays and what not because they were putting so much time and money into some spectacular CGI, but then something from the 90s popped up. The fear is they've done a rush job on a lot of the CGI to make their deadlines.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

There’s been some excellent tweets about GoT over the last 24 hours but this is my fave (sorry, thought more appropriate than the Twitter thread) one for you @Chest Rockwell

And Mac was in the episode too!

• Awards Moderator
21 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Cersei really wanted them elephants.

83A554E2-1F9C-44B7-8117-84D3992B0C7F.png.67b8809229440462f0571577b977e46e.png

Now rooting for a final scene echoing the end of season 1 where Cersei doesn’t get her baby, but ends up with three tiny elephants on her shoulders. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Where’s My Elephant / Mother of Elephants

3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Why would Jaime think Bran was dead? From back when Theon pretended to kill him? I thought everyone knew that was a sham now, considering the Boltons had (and killed) the other kid after that.

I don’t think it’s a case of Jamie ‘thinks’ Bran is dead, more that this is the first he’s seen him since pushing him out of the window and that Bran should be dead.m, so it’s more of a “this shouldn’t be happening”. When Catelyn has Jamie as her prisoner, you would that she would’ve told Jamie that Bran had survived the fall and the guy breaking into Winterfell to knife him

Watched this last night. The CGI was nowhere near as bad as people on here are making out. 

Enjoyable episode, it was always going to be a slow burn start to the last season. All the counters seem to be in place now to allow them to pick up the pace hopefully. 

• Paid Members

I'm in the CG was fine camp. I was more wondering why we waited two years for a 5 minute, farting about dragon play date. Otherwise I really liked the episode. I'd watch the season 7 finale the night before to remind me. I got my share of epic, so maybe I'm skewed.

Edited by DEF

17 minutes ago, DEF said:

I'm in the CG was fine camp. I was more wondering why we waited two years for a 5 minute, farting about dragon play date. Otherwise I really liked the episode. I'd watch the season 7 finale the night before to remind me. I got my share of epic, so maybe I'm skewed.

It did come across a bit How To Train Your Dragon didn’t it?

On 4/15/2019 at 10:03 PM, StrongStyle said:

Urgently awaiting the high spots from this final series. That was boring, meandering padding akin to the earlier series before it had caught up with the books.

Have to disagree on it being padding. Just because it didn't go all in with battles etc from the get go, it doesn't make it an episode full of padding.

In fact I felt it was quite the opposite. I'm glad they didn't just gloss over the reunions of important characters, the dynamic shift due to the main alliance and things like that - especially when it would be incredibly easy to do so.

It was a meaningful episode full of purpose - both on an emotional level and strategically. It is a series about war after all. None of it was wasted time in my opinion - the dialogue was important, with necessary revelations to drive the story forward. Some nice tension with the questioning of loyalties and decision making etc.

I can see why some people would have found it boring, but I've seen series with far more meandering and padding - The Walking Dead for example - where I've sat through an entire episode and felt like I didn't get anywhere. At least with this opener I did feel like the pieces were moving significantly and towards an ultimate endgame (sorry Marvel).

One thing that depresses me is that the north is certain to be decimated in the coming episodes. It can't be Jon scrapes by, kills the dead then marches back on Kings Landing can it? It has to all end at Kings Landing with one last stand against the dead.