DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

17 minutes ago, King of Hamptons said:

Just watched Christopher Robin... 

Jesus christ! It was fantastic! I was happily bouncing on my sofa to the Tigger song and I even remembered the words. Fantastic stuff. 

Yeah, it starts off slow but it's an absolute gem, isn't it?  Completely loved it!

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah, it starts off slow but it's an absolute gem, isn't it?  Completely loved it!

I managed to get the Christopher Robin versions of Pooh, Tigger and Piglet on my last trip to Disneyland Paris for the kids. So adorable 

• Paid Members

So the Toy Story code is 3241.

The new one is great but I had a couple of big problems with it. The new characters are excellent though and the central plot is possibly the best in the series.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Love anything Pooh related. I find all them incredibly heartbreaking to be honest. 

My eldest was obsessed as a youngun (she still sleeps with her Pooh teddy she got when she was a month old, and she refuses to let us wash it, so he fucking stinks) so we’ve always had an affinity with the characters together and Christopher Robin was so lovely.

Still think the 2011 film is the best one though. The Backson one. Cracking songs.

Went to see Toy Story 4 this afternoon, on the back of 4 hours sleep and working a 4 hour overtime shift, and loved every second of it, it didn't get me as emotional as at the end of Endgame but I did have a lump in the throat for that end sequence and I loved how they integrated some scenes into the credits ala the old outtakes from the first two films. I'd put it ahead of 2, Of Terror and That Time Forgot but its slightly behind 1 and 3

• Paid Members

As a teen I really liked stereotype-defying basketball bad boy Dennis Rodman (pre Korean dictator days). Unsurprisingly I hadn't seen Double Team for 20 years but I was feeling nostalgic and I wasn't going to watch old basketball games so I stuck it on.

There's so much stupid shit all the way through it's great, there are loads of explosions and a training montage (a really dumb overly complex one). Mickey Rourke has his shirt off a lot and a guy fights Jean Claude Van Damme armed with a knife he's holding in his toes.

JCVD also fights a tiger that tries to steal his baby but the less said about that the better. Dennis Rodman plays an arms dealer who looks and behaves exactly like Dennis Rodman and makes basketball references and has a basketball shaped parachute.

MV5BMTEzZTczYjctOGY4Zi00MjFhLWJlMDctZjBiMWU2MDYwZTQ5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc2NjEyMw@@._V1_.jpg

The Mule. I really dug this film; old codger starts taking drugs across the border to support his family. So far so Breaking Bad, but it proved to be a rather great character study. It has a steady pace and it was just the perfect film to watch on a Saturday morning. I blimmin' loved it and Clint is da man.

• Paid Members

Toy Story 4 is very good. Maybe the weakest of the 4, but standards are so high that it just has to settle with being a lowly very good.

I found the film dragged a little with more of the same right up until...

Bo Peep is reintroduced and it turns into such good fun.

The new toys are good value about this time too. With Peele and Key having the funniest moment of the entire franchise.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

Finally got round to watching Rush (the Lauda, Hunt movie by Ron Howard) yesterday. It must have taken then ages to recreate the crash. Yes, it takes a few liberties with the story for dramatic licence, but it's still a great watch. I spent most of the movie trying to figure out who it was doing the commentary, but that's my brain rather than any shortcoming of the movie. 

On 6/20/2019 at 12:56 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

It's also one of only two films made by Abel Ferrara that are actually really good.

giphy-downsized.gif